Nickelodeon Kids Club Super Toy Run Contest Winner - 20 Years Later

exciter1

jeez. can you imagine if i (or any of us nearing 40 years old) won bertween 1980 and 1983)?   for me, my cart would have been stashed with everything i liked at the time: he-man, star wars and the new lego castle theme introduced that year (would have been pretty easy 'shopping' - only 3 aisle, ha)

if i won during 1984-1986, it would have been tough.  i liked many more items : omnibot 2000, Nintendo, MASK, transformers, gi-joe and RC Dune Buggies. at that  time, i wasn't into super powers or secret wars although i was into comics.

i did end up getting the omnibot 2000 (same as below) for xmas 1984 but it broke w/in 2 weeks so we returned it.

kc303a.JPG

Just read the whole thing, what a crazy dream that would have been.

I'm assuming you also noted where he said i probably got like 5 duplicate lego sets, and why did you need all that? So i gave those away.

Of all the toys where duplicates are useless, LEGO is not one of them. Clearly this kid didnt know his Lego :)

Also one of them said they probably still have some in the basement. Now THAT would ahve been the real payoff of this prize.

Imagine if one of them had say a stack of Zelda cartridges sealed in the basement, or Lego sets, or whatever. That would be a true jackpot.

I'm surprised they only got about $10k worth of stuff. Even a minute in the video game section back then could easily be several thousand alone.

It sounds like they were specifically asked not to sit in one area for a long time, as it wouldn't make for good tv. I can imagine being agreeable to that request as they don't HAVE to give you anything, you're proabably going to do whatever they ask.

Another thing to consider, there was no ebay back then. It's not like there would have been an easy way for Joe Smith to offload 100 Nintendo Entertainment System decks.

It sounds like they were specifically asked not to sit in one area for a long time, as it wouldn't make for good tv. I can imagine being agreeable to that request as they don't HAVE to give you anything, you're proabably going to do whatever they ask.

Another thing to consider, there was no ebay back then. It's not like there would have been an easy way for Joe Smith to offload 100 Nintendo Entertainment System decks.

I saw the stipulation, but even then if you spent one full minute in electronics that would still give 80% of your time for other departments. Even as a kid I appreciated the value of things and did all sorts of little businesses for money. I would have either been the coolest kid in school as I passed out original NES games(if won when I was an equivalent age) to everyone or I would have made some cash selling games for cheap.

Regardless, I'm just surprised that in 5 minutes two people were only able to get $10k worth of stuff each. I would have thought it would have been a lot more. And I definitely would have worn a watch with a stopwatch so I knew exactly how much time I had.

I saw the stipulation, but even then if you spent one full minute in electronics that would still give 80% of your time for other departments. Even as a kid I appreciated the value of things and did all sorts of little businesses for money. I would have either been the coolest kid in school as I passed out original NES games(if won when I was an equivalent age) to everyone or I would have made some cash selling games for cheap.

Regardless, I'm just surprised that in 5 minutes two people were only able to get $10k worth of stuff each. I would have thought it would have been a lot more. And I definitely would have worn a watch with a stopwatch so I knew exactly how much time I had.

Stuff didn't cost as much then either, so it's probably $25,000 in today's terms.  They did say they got playsets, power wheels and such.  I shared it this morning, but I'm just now reading it.  Back then, video games were still pretty expensive, so they should have had a hey dey and I'm surprised they didn't talk about snatching up game systems.