10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Oh man you are killing me right now!!!! I don't know which to buy. I am a sucker for this Death Star. I have one already and don't have the Star Destroyer, but I know this one is eventually going to be retired and it has all those wonderful minifigs. Oh I hate when life throws these hard decisions my wife ;)

We can see Lego change a bit the strategy through the situation of 10188, which there are some top selling sets or even series that may never retired. Same situation in 10197(2009), 10211(2010)...as a investor I just can't stop worrying about Lego will keep producing the whole modular buildings series since 10197.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up two. Had to at this price.

Thats a great deal, I picked up an SSD at that price yesterday through Walmart. I wish I had never bought my Death Star at retail price a couple years ago, seeing it for this price makes me feel sick to my stomach, but you can't always catch every deal.

Thats a great deal, I picked up an SSD at that price yesterday through Walmart. I wish I had never bought my Death Star at retail price a couple years ago, seeing it for this price makes me feel sick to my stomach, but you can't always catch every deal.

I just started investing this month and if its one thing i've learned on this site, never buy at retail; I'm glad I picked that up quickly. I bet this would be a really fun build as well, but will be strictly for investment purposes.

I just started investing this month and if its one thing i've learned on this site, never buy at retail; I'm glad I picked that up quickly. I bet this would be a really fun build as well, but will be strictly for investment purposes.

Over the past year or so I've tried not to buy at retail, except for the Haunted House I just bought, and I'll be paying retail for the new winter cottage when it comes out next week, but those are both builds and not investments. The Death star that I have I bought back in 2010 or maybe even 09', when I didn't know any better, but I know now that it's best to wait for the sales :)

I was just on Walmart's site again and I noticed that some of the Modulars that were going for around $120 yesterday during the day must have gotten down to around $110 before selling out, also looks like the Maersk trains that I bought yesterday at $100, got down to $96 before selling out, unbelievable how low these prices were, I wonder if we will see another big sale like this by Walmart again before holidays?? However the SSD, DS, and R2D2 are still not sold out and they are all listed at fantastic prices!

I was just on Walmart's site again and I noticed that some of the Modulars that were going for around $120 yesterday during the day must have gotten down to around $110 before selling out, also looks like the Maersk trains that I bought yesterday at $100, got down to $96 before selling out, unbelievable how low these prices were, I wonder if we will see another big sale like this by Walmart again before holidays?? However the SSD, DS, and R2D2 are still not sold out and they are all listed at fantastic prices!

I'm wondering if they are clearing out space for new sets? I had my wife go to Walmart yesterday and she found several quality deals on Alien Conquest and Dino sets. Our local Walmart also redid their entire LEGO department.

I'm wondering if they are clearing out space for new sets? I had my wife go to Walmart yesterday and she found several quality deals on Alien Conquest and Dino sets. Our local Walmart also redid their entire LEGO department.

Yeah, I didn't see too many good deals at my local Walmart, however the online prices yesterday, and still the SSD, DS, and R2D2 prices today were lower than most sales. I mean when I saw the TRU sale of the SSD and DS at $369 awhile back I thought that was a really great deal, and to see them at $336 now seems crazy. Even the Modulars yesterday were at rock bottom prices, and they're now sold out of course. I can't seem to grasp or figure out why Walmart dropped prices so low, it's not like Lego is about to come out with 5 new Modulars and new SSD's etc. soon and Walmart warehouses need the space. But hey I won't complain, I took advantage of the sale at both Walmart and Amazon ;)

As I've mentioned in the past, Walmart has been a goldmine for me this Summer. I was able to score 15 HP Burrow sets (4840) on clearance for $47/ea. Walmart.com has a great way of searching within a 50 mi radius of stores near a city/zip that list set(s) availability. I had to drive 5 hours to one location (but got 9 Burrows) and then 3 hours to another location (and got 6 more) in separate weekends, but trust me the research has paid off financially. Actually when I first came to this site, I was shocked at the way most posts referenced Amazon.com only. I frequent Amazon for sure, but had most luck at Walmart. (been scoring Black Pearls for $81 +tax for over a month online). Happy hunting!

Has a sale of this caliber ever popped up before? Again, Im new to the game so no idea.

Yes. More than you think. But not usually on high end sets as much as yesterday. There are usually two sources of sales at one time. Amazon and another main retailer. Amazon seems to match most competitors. Like yesterday. Walmart had some great prices, but Amazon also got involved with similar deals. You will see all the major retailers discount heavily at some time, you just have to be ready. Also, the earlier in the day you start looking, the better. Some sales end or inventory runs out by early afternoon at times, so it pays to be vigilant.