Bulk Lego Lot with Harry Potter

I'm in talks with someone that has a 35lb lot of Legos for sale. He's asking $275 for the entire lot. He also has instructions for about a dozen sets. This is a lot for a bulk lot, but he's got some awesome sets. Here is what he has instructions for that are included with this lot. He can't guarantee completeness. The HUGE downside for me, is that he has no minifigs for these. That's a major downside. I don't necessarily want to make huge profits off of this. My goal would be to build and sort with the kids, sell some of the higher value ones, keep some, etc. $275 is the ask, if I could get the price down to say $225, could this be a go? If he had minifigs it seems like it would be a good one. That is the huge worry for me. Thanks for any advice. 

• Winter Village Post Office
  • Winter Village Toy Shop
  • Hogwarts Express
  • Hogwarts Castle
  • Hagrids Castle
  • 4840-1: The Burrow
  • 7627-1: Temple of the Crystal Skull
  • 7672-1: Rogue Shadow
  • 7946-1: King's Castle
  • 7097-1: Trolls' Mountain Fortress
  • 6868-1: Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout

No minifigs? Pass. You're at close to $8 per lb already, not looking at a ton of room to grow especially if everything isn't complete.

Also, do you have pictures? From experience, the manuals being there means nothing unless you can visually verify the set pieces in the bulk.

Edited by boxofcorey

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes, I got about 6-7 pictures of the lot. I was looking for things that stand out, to gauge compleness. The roof tiles and peaks from Hogwarts Castle are pretty clear to pick out. I saw some of those. I see the baseplate from the Indy Crystal Skulls. So stuff seems there, I just doubt that any of these would be 100% complete. BL on some of these might be kinda tough to fill in gaps, since these are older ones. 

dude, thats a easy yes ... ill pull the trigger at $275 even ... but haggle as low as you can go ...

but dont hesitate ... you will make your money back on the sets you mentioned alone even without the mini figs ... plus youll get quality spending time with the kids doing this and youll end up with a lot more pieces that maybe you can also put together and sell off ...

go get it man ... its a good deal!

So this purchase would be a combo for investing and personal collecting (e.g. build with the kids).

Which sets would you try to sell?

Have you also figured out how much the minifigs would cost to buy for the sets you'll be selling? That is the only "real" way to maximize selling value.

I made a lowball offer, and he countered with $250 for the lot. I should have mentioned this earlier, but this is a 13 year old kid. I asked him if these were his sets from when he was younger, and he said they weren't. He got it all this way in bulk. It's odd that a 13 year old kid would have 35lb of lego, with some awesome instruction sets, and hasn't built any. Yes, it's a ton to sort. I pressed him on the minifigs, and he said he has some. He shot me a picture of about 65 random minifigs. I can pick out one or two from and Indy set, a couple star wars, etc. He wants $1 each for the minifigs, and I can pick and choose. 

It's a tough one. I was thinking I would keep the winter sets, and see if I could recoup my money on the rest. It really seems that I'd just be left with a bunch of sets that are 90% complete. Resale on something like that would be pretty rough. He also has 4502-1: X-wing Fighter included in the lot that I didn't know about earlier, which sweetens the deal a bit. It's 'mostly complete' according to him. 

It seems like this would be a TON of work to assemble and sort 35lb. It would keep me and the kids busy for weeks. He's got some good stuff. I'm inspecting the minifigs now to see how close I could get to some complete sets. 

I made a lowball offer, and he countered with $250 for the lot. I should have mentioned this earlier, but this is a 13 year old kid. I asked him if these were his sets from when he was younger, and he said they weren't. He got it all this way in bulk. It's odd that a 13 year old kid would have 35lb of lego, with some awesome instruction sets, and hasn't built any. Yes, it's a ton to sort. I pressed him on the minifigs, and he said he has some. He shot me a picture of about 65 random minifigs. I can pick out one or two from and Indy set, a couple star wars, etc. He wants $1 each for the minifigs, and I can pick and choose.

It's a tough one. I was thinking I would keep the winter sets, and see if I could recoup my money on the rest. It really seems that I'd just be left with a bunch of sets that are 90% complete. Resale on something like that would be pretty rough. He also has 4502-1: X-wing Fighter included in the lot that I didn't know about earlier, which sweetens the deal a bit. It's 'mostly complete' according to him.

It seems like this would be a TON of work to assemble and sort 35lb. It would keep me and the kids busy for weeks. He's got some good stuff. I'm inspecting the minifigs now to see how close I could get to some complete sets.

I haven't done a bulk lot purchase yet ( I've tried but to no avail) but if he has the figs, maybe an offer of $300 with all minifigs is worth it? Any that don't belong can be resold to bring the cost down.

I'm not sure if that's a worthy suggestion, thoughts?