TRUTH Tactics for 4/2/15

dday0606

Seems to be a monthly occurrence, but many times there are really only one or two true deals to take advantage of.  I know they had one in mid march, because I bought a Sail Barge that was on sale for 94.00, and I used a discount coupon.  They also had one in early February where they had a BOGO 40% off - that time I bought a couple of MTTs where it rounded out to about 71.00 for two with tax.  But that was when they had the MTT for 89.99.  Now it's 94.99, so you have to really weigh your options with TRU discounts.  You win some, and you lose some with them.  They almost always take their exclusives ofline during this time period, or they don't apply to the larger items.  Really the best deals in my opinion right now are the Sail Barge, the Duel on Geonosis and the MTTs.  You can get the Cantinas, AT-ATs and ISDs (all the summer wave 2014 stuff) cheaper at Target right now.

I'd say the Jedi Cruiser at $54 is the best TRU SW deal right now.  Goes to under $50 on TRU Thursday.

I'd say the Jedi Cruiser at $54 is the best TRU SW deal right now.  Goes to under $50 on TRU Thursday.

I'm just not sold on the Expanded sets.  The resale value long term kind of stinks on those.   The ship looks cool, but long term, if you are holding them for investment, i'd think you could get better results with the MTT or Sail Barge at that buy-in.  And if you can take the full discount with the ISD, then go for that.  If you can get them at 90 + with tax... can't go wrong grabbing a few at that price.  The Imperial Star Destroyer should go easily over 200 when it retires.

IMHO, the best TRU Thursday buy remains Birds 21301.  I really am a fan of this set.  With the TRUTH discount, cost is just under $40.  The few times this wasn't stocked by Amazon Prime, it was a nearly $70 set, and it should go away sometime this fall.  Bank on this going above $100 shortly after EOL, and I think $200 is possible on this one within 18 months.  Easy to store and ship as well.  3-5X MSRP possible on this set, and I don't see a downside; it will never sell for below MSRP.

*one other data point.  The Lego Employee-exclusive xmas set this year was also a Birds collection.  That sold easily in the $250-$300+ range (I recall a few $400+ sales early one).  While the Lego employee exclusives always command a premium, this one was quite a bit above the norm.  I think this was driven in part by the theme, which has huge AFOL and even non-AFOL appeal.  

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 1

IMHO, the best TRU Thursday buy remains Birds 21301.  I really am a fan of this set.  With the TRUTH discount, cost is just under $40.  The few times this wasn't stocked by Amazon Prime, it was a nearly $70 set, and it should go away sometime this fall.  Bank on this going above $100 shortly after EOL, and I think $200 is possible on this one within 18 months.  Easy to store and ship as well.  3-5X MSRP possible on this set, and I don't see a downside; it will never sell for below MSRP.

*one other data point.  The Lego Employee-exclusive xmas set this year was also a Birds collection.  That sold easily in the $250-$300+ range (I recall a few $400+ sales early one).  While the Lego employee exclusives always command a premium, this one was quite a bit above the norm.  I think this was driven in part by the theme, which has huge AFOL and even non-AFOL appeal.  

I agree with you there.  That is perhaps the best set to get. I just grabbed a few of these over the 2X VIP and that set is incredible.  I really do think it's a sleeper and great set.  I'm hoping they expand that theme.

I agree with you there.  That is perhaps the best set to get. I just grabbed a few of these over the 2X VIP and that set is incredible.  I really do think it's a sleeper and great set.  I'm hoping they expand that theme.

If Birds get a v2.0 of Poulsom's designs, the first set will skyrocket.  EOL+new Birds = Solid Gold.  Completists won't hesitate to drop $200-300 for the collection.

That's got my support!

I agree, I think the birds set is a winner.  The box, the artwork, as well as the designs of the birds is just very attractive, and I think more than just lego fans think they are pretty cool looking.  I definitely want to pick up a few more of this set before it's gone. 

Lego Ideas sets typically don't last longer than a year so there's a good chance Birds will fly away.

So getting back on topic. If I place a TRU online order and pay partially with gift card and TRU credit card, will I still get double points for the entire amount of the order or will the gift card amount get subtracted?