Toys R Us Tactics for 3/12/15

dday0606

I wanted to start a new discussion thread for whenever TRU has an interesting sale crossing with "CC Thursday".  I am hoping to get opinions on what people will be buying (if anything) in-store during the confluence of savings events.

This week's sale for those hiding under a rock is 20% off all Minecraft and City Sets.

The price adjustment for this week will be:

1 x 80% x 90% (CC discount) x 92% (rewards) = 66.24%

There are other price considerations/strategies that I will ignore since they will depend upon your own situation.  Everyone can do their own math to add/subtract these factors:

1. sales tax

2. partial pay with gift cards

3. The current "$5 off $25 purchase" coupon

With that being said this week's price adjustment is 33% off!

Sets I'm considering

1. Minecraft:

They adjusted the prices of these sets up 10% in my store.  I went to a TRU Sunday and they all were normal price and when I went back Monday they had raised all of them!  

After discounts

21113 The cave                                       $14.75    

21114 The farm                                        $22

21115 The first night                                $29.48

21116 The Crafting box                           $36.85

21117 The end                                         $50

21118 The Mine                                       $80

Opinion: I think long term all of these sets will do really well, however I am thinking it is probably too early to start seriously stocking up on them.  I might dabble with a couple of the lower cost sets tomorrow.

2. City 

I'm not going to list the entire line, just a few notables I was thinking about.

After discounts

4204 The Mine                                        $53.6

60062 Arctic Icebreaker                          $87.1

60051 High Speed Train                         $100

60052 Cargo Train                                   $134

60036 Arctic Base Camp                         $67

60014 Coast Guard Patrol                       $56.95

Opinion: I will buy any Mine or Ice Breaker I come across.  I will probably pass on the high speed train for now, but am considering a Cargo Train due to the potential new cargo train coming out later this year.  I'm also on the fence regarding the base camp and patrol boat.

I would love to get thoughts on:

1.  Anything people are thinking about buying tomorrow

2.  If this kind of thread interests people on what I'm calling TRU CC Thursdays

BTW, I think "TRU CC Thursdays" deserves it's own witty name/acronym, so please help me come up with it!

• Like 4

$5 off stacks with 10% Thursday.  Lower all your prices by $5, which puts the 4204 The Mine below $50.  Not bad at all.  Note, 10% off only applies when using the TRU credit card.  Also note, you can partial pay with the credit card and still get double-points and 10% off the full order.

Edited by diablo2112

I think Train Station (60050) is a very solid buy. Lots of things going for it: aesthetically pleasing (especially when compared to the last Train Station iteration), 5 minifigs, presence of a Lego Store, historical performance of trains in general, and excellent SAH rating (4.9). 

Ice Breaker rules!

If I see any ice breakers out in the wild, I'm definitely buying those, along with any 4204 Mines.  However, I think those are all gone in my neck of the woods so I'm plotting beyond those.  

We have acronym : TRUTH

Fair enough.  TRUTH it is then.  TRUTH Tactics has an interesting ring to it.

I think Train Station (60050) is a very solid buy. Lots of things going for it: aesthetically pleasing (especially when compared to the last Train Station iteration), 5 minifigs, presence of a Lego Store, historical performance of trains in general, and excellent SAH rating (4.9). 

Interesting thought.  I will probably focus on the cargo train over this right now, but I see your points.

No one interested in Minecraft sets at these prices??  With the new summer sets, the line is obviously here to stay for a bit.  Seeing the way my 5.5 year old son goes gaga over them (and Minecraft in general), I think they will be winners long term.  I understand there will be time to accumulate but are people assuming they will be discounted similarly or perhaps even more in the future???  Or is everyone just using their powder on sets closer to EOL and the Lego shop double VIP this weekend??

First off, thanks for starting this thread.  It's a great idea.  I've often wondered about good strategies on days like this.

The Arctic Ice Breaker, if you can find it, is an outstanding price.  That's what I was picking it for around Thanksgiving, and flipping for $185 at the same time on eBay.

The Mine at $54 is incredible deal.  I might go pick a few of those up.

I picked up a Train Station. The cashier also scanned and used both Rewards coupons I had on the single transaction (had one for $35 and one for $5). So they will scan that way even though it says one per transaction.

More exciting was that they were in the middle of completely stocking the shelves, and I picked up a bunch of empty boxes, including one that had Duplo train sets in it that should fit two modulars nicely. :-)

I think I was more excited about the boxes than the deal on the set.

Alright, went to three TRU.  Found two ice breakers and a 4204 MIne at the first.  Found two more ice breakers at the second.  Neither of those at the third, but did finally see two 60052 cargo trains.  The other two TRu's were out of this train.  I went ahead and bought them as well.

• Like 2

First off, thanks for starting this thread.  It's a great idea.  I've often wondered about good strategies on days like this.

The Arctic Ice Breaker, if you can find it, is an outstanding price.  That's what I was picking it for around Thanksgiving, and flipping for $185 at the same time on eBay.

The Mine at $54 is incredible deal.  I might go pick a few of those up.

I've read that most people one here are annoyed by TRU, but I kind of like dealing with them.  Between the rewards, the coupons, highly discounted gift cards, and CC thursday, you can actually get some good deals in store.  It's almost like they are begging for people who have some math skills to shop there.  Also, for work I have to drive by three TRU's every Thursday, so it makes it real convenient to me to participate in TRU_TH.  

Picked up 10 mines, 3 icebreakers, 2 Elsa's Castles from a couple of TRU.  

I did find some technic Excavators, a 42000 Car and a King's Castle still left at one, need a 20% off sale to make those more viable..

Nice haul.  

Alright everyone, hopefully we have reason next week to have this thread again.