USPS Claim question

mscheaf

So, it finally happened to me. USPS destroyed a shipment of mine and then delivered it anyway. Buyer contacted me and wants to return or something, but I have a few questions. It was a 42000 that I sold for $200 on ebay and sent Priority. The shipping box and the set box are smashed all to hell. The set appears intact and complete however. The buyers states it is for a collector though. So I offered a return and full refund or a partial refund (amount not specified).

1. Is USPS supposed to deliver a box they clearly destroyed? Thought that was odd.

2. So if I file a claim with USPS, they will want to see the damaged box. Does the buyer need to take that in or do they return it to me and I take it in?

3. If the buyer decides they would rather keep it, does that mean the buyer would need to take the item into the post office?

4. Would the post office even let them return it in the box that they damaged? How can I demand the buyer get another box if they won't?

5. Should I just count my losses and not even bother with a claim I will in all likelihood lose?

6. If USPS never pays out claims what is the point of buying insurance?

I have only had to use USPS insurance once. It was for some broken wine glasses I sent priority that was under the $100 free insurance. They only needed to see pictures for the claim. It was an easy process.

I think you are over thinking it a bit. Make the buyer return the item to you if they want a refund. Don't do partial refunds, ever. It is such an ez way for a seller to get scammed. Make the buyer return the item. That is what eBay would have them do in a SNAD case anyways. A lot of buyers will back down if you require them to return the item instead of giving away a partial. As a rule I never ever do partials.

If they return it and the item is trashed and not resellable, then file the USPS claim. Just make sure you don't wait too long and miss the window for the claim.

• Like 2

Have the buyer send you plenty of pictures of the destroyed box, and the destroyed contents.  Since you paid for shipping, it's on you to submit an insurance claim.  Attach all pictures to the claim.  I've had to submit claims twice, and I received my money from USPS within a month for both of them.  The were both for under $50 though.

• Like 1

The buyer sent me a few pics, I asked for some more (mainly to make sure it is my European 42000 and not a North American one and they are trying to scam me). Guess I shouldn't have offered the partial refund. Good thing is the buyer doesn't seem to interested in that.

Do you guys usually make the buyer pay for return shipping or do you offer that? This is the first time this has ever happened. I don't mind paying for a return label. And I do not want my first neg feedback over USPS screw up. Like I said, if the parts are ok, I will just sell it damaged box for pretty much the same price.

When you file an insurance claim, especially for a high dollar amount, USPS will assign someone to investigate. Since the contents were techincally not destroyed- I dunno what they will say.  Most likely you would win the claim, at which time you refund the buyer, but USPS will then confiscate the package and its contents to salvage.

I would not make the buyer pay for return shipping if you accept the return- that will most likely result in negative feedback.

Ask for the item to be returned, then refund the buyer in full. File the claim, worst case you get declined, at least you have your set back and can relist. If you win, you will get the 200 , but most likely lose the set.

Edited by labfreak7

The buyer sent me a few pics, I asked for some more (mainly to make sure it is my European 42000 and not a North American one and they are trying to scam me). Guess I shouldn't have offered the partial refund. Good thing is the buyer doesn't seem to interested in that.

Do you guys usually make the buyer pay for return shipping or do you offer that? This is the first time this has ever happened. I don't mind paying for a return label. And I do not want my first neg feedback over USPS screw up. Like I said, if the parts are ok, I will just sell it damaged box for pretty much the same price.

Honestly I would just do that.  Send them the return label and then relist it out of the box with the bags photographed.

You'll probably get very close to what you got the first time, maybe $10 less or so.  Keeps them happy, keeps your feedback score perfect, which in the long run is worth more than the trouble of waiting for the claim.  You could already have it back and move it again and just lose the return shipping cost.

When you file an insurance claim, especially for a high dollar amount, USPS will assign someone to investigate. Since the contents were techincally not destroyed- I dunno what they will say.  Most likely you would win the claim, at which time you refund the buyer, but USPS will then confiscate the package and its contents to salvage.

I would not make the buyer pay for return shipping if you accept the return- that will most likely result in negative feedback.

Ask for the item to be returned, then refund the buyer in full. File the claim, worst case you get declined, at least you have your set back and can relist. If you win, you will get the 200 , but most likely lose the set.

Well how does the confiscation work if I am only insured for $100 for a $200 item. If they want to take the whole thing they need to give me full value for it.

I have filed 3 claims online with pics of creased Lego boxes and varying degrees of outer box damage which were granted without further contact or question (check for $50 just shows up in the mail).

But you can read about my last experience a bit in the topical thread if you want a scare (my mistake may have been filing two claims at the same time, I dunno).

Long story short, I was held up for over an hour at first, then paperwork never submitted, blown off over the phone twice (even with USPS claims department involved), then brought into the manager's office and all but blatantly accused of fraud. All this time my slightly crushed sealed sets were held hostage, and it was even difficult to retrieve them after presenting the paperwork showing the denied online appeals 3 months later. I will never go back to that location for any help whatsoever. It was made clear that I was a suspicious problem child at best, not a valued customer whose goods had been damaged. I hate that post office more than you hate Walmart. Seriously.

If reimbursement for the damage is important to you and bringing in the evidence is required, I STRONGLY suggest you make a few phone calls first and "feel out" the person who will be handling the claim. Shop around at different locations, if you have the option. Then be prepared for a hassle... but I doubt it would be anything as bad as I went through. That said, I think a claim should be filed when it is obvious the package was not properly handled.

Edited by Grynn

Well how does the confiscation work if I am only insured for $100 for a $200 item. If they want to take the whole thing they need to give me full value for it.

You won't get full value unless it is worth less than the default amount, or you paid for more insurance, period. Your item may be confiscated or may not, but you can still file the claim and then decide to not go forward with it if the inspection process doesn't go well. Not sure if that would ever affect future claims in any way, but at least you don't risk losing a $200 set for a $100 return.

I unfortunately have filed multiple claims over the years- each outcome in my favor. If you don't pay $200 insurance for what you are selling, you won't get $200 for the claim. You will get the max amount that it is insured. Claims have to be substantiated with proof of value like the receipt or eBay transaction number. I don't think a claim will work in your favor on this as you did not fully insure the set. Best bet is get it back, refund the buyer and relist in its present condition. You can call USPS and see what they say as well. It is in my opinion the most affordable, and easiest to work with. I prefer them over UPS any day of the week. Haven't dealt with fedex, so no opinion on them . I have been at this for over 10 years - just my two cents.