Mecha Fans

TheOrcKing

From MechWarrior to Macross, Earthsiege to Armored Core, Heavy Gear to Gundam, etcetera, fans of mecha everywhere let yourself be heard here! :)

I was just wondering if there are other people on the site that dig giant robots and stuff. I'm not necessarily asking about the series or movies these mecha appear in but focusing more on the designs themselves. For example, I actually like the Urban Mech from the MechWarrior series and think many of the original names for the mechs in MechWarrior were great (Summoner instead of Thor, Hellbringer over Loki, and so on).

Also I am curious of anybody that enjoys playing the tabletop games such as Battletech or Heavy Gear. I would love to hear the experiences, see some battlefield setups, and whatnot. Let's not forget LowestFormOfWit's Mobile Frame Zero as well which reminds me if you find a cool mech built in LEGO then post it here if anything to give this topic some relative relevancy to the site.

Oh and here is a Mech Fan Group over at ModDB. It

I used to build Gunpla (Gundam plastic models) in previous life (surprise surprise right ?). I did the cutting, sanding, gluing, more sanding, coloring, and airbrushing. Although I could not bring myself to do the weathering or battle damaging my models :(

I liked Super Deformed and MG size as they were relatively simple build.

I need to see if I still have a few of these in boxes somewhere.

Edited by Darth_Raichu

I wasted a lot of my youth playing MechWarrior and it's sequels. It was a simple feeling of joy wandering around in a giant mech blasting stuff. :)

Hah, I wasted a lot of my youth playing all sorts of games. I don't game anymore and I now have a lot more free time for Lego. :)

I used to build Gunpla (Gundam plastic models) in previous life (surprise surprise right ?). I did the cutting, sanding, gluing, more sanding, coloring, and airbrushing.

I was always intrigued by the complexity of those Gundam models (that I could never do myself and just admired the ones others built :pardon: ).

Although I could not bring myself to do the weathering or battle damaging my models :(

That's one thing I hear a few times over again whenever someone had finally finished a model. Technically the model was finished but there is the factor of truly 'finishing' the project by messing it up a little or a lot such as making a real-life replica of the Blade Runner gun which took decades for anyone to finally realize the weapon. There was a "factory grade" edition where it looked brand new off the assembly line while a second version with wear & tear from seeing action. I remember a clip on YouTube where Adam Savage from Mythbusters goes on about his own journey with trying to recreate the blaster.

I wasted a lot of my youth playing MechWarrior and it's sequels. It was a simple feeling of joy wandering around in a giant mech blasting stuff. :)

First time I was introduced to MechWarrior was way back with MechWarrior 2 on my sister's (at the time) boyfriend's computer then later after getting MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries for myself which I "Instant Action" the heck out of trying all sorts of variants in every mech. I got MechWarrior 3 but didn't play that one much really. Now MechWarrior 4 (Vengeance followed by Mercenaries) was a blast. Actually thanks to the MekTek pack that added a bunch of stuff, I still love MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries. Almost forgot about MechCommander 1 & 2 which were also good with the second more so than the first in my opinion. The most awkward thing with technology progressing is simply getting these older games to work anymore :( especially when they continue to be more fun than the current offerings of 'next gen' titles.

I was always intrigued by the complexity of those Gundam models (that I could never do myself and just admired the ones others built :pardon: ).

That's one thing I hear a few times over again whenever someone had finally finished a model. Technically the model was finished but there is the factor of truly 'finishing' the project by messing it up a little or a lot such as making a real-life replica of the Blade Runner gun which took decades for anyone to finally realize the weapon. There was a "factory grade" edition where it looked brand new off the assembly line while a second version with wear & tear from seeing action. I remember a clip on YouTube where Adam Savage from Mythbusters goes on about his own journey with trying to recreate the blaster.

First time I was introduced to MechWarrior was way back with MechWarrior 2 on my sister's (at the time) boyfriend's computer then later after getting MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries for myself which I "Instant Action" the heck out of trying all sorts of variants in every mech. I got MechWarrior 3 but didn't play that one much really. Now MechWarrior 4 (Vengeance followed by Mercenaries) was a blast. Actually thanks to the MekTek pack that added a bunch of stuff, I still love MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries. Almost forgot about MechCommander 1 & 2 which were also good with the second more so than the first in my opinion. The most awkward thing with technology progressing is simply getting these older games to work anymore :( especially when they continue to be more fun than the current offerings of 'next gen' titles.

They are not complex at all.  Technically, one can just remove the parts from the frame and click them together per the instructions.  The tedious part comes when one wants to me the model look "real", ie removing / masking the seams, and painting / accenting the models.

The weathering depends greatly on personal taste.  I prefer my models to look brand new, out of the mecha factory lot.  Plus, it takes more diligence to make "battle damages" look real. There is only so much torture plastics can handle ;)

I remember beta testing MechWarrior(?) online game.  It had something to do with red vs blue team fighting over territories.  Kind of like Risk, except you and your online teammates controlled the mechs that invaded / defended the territory.  The other team also consisted of online players, except when there were nobody online then the servers would control the mechs you were fighting against. Do you know what I am talking about ?

They are not complex at all. Technically, one can just remove the parts from the frame and click them together per the instructions. The tedious part comes when one wants to me the model look "real", ie removing / masking the seams, and painting / accenting the models.

The weathering depends greatly on personal taste. I prefer my models to look brand new, out of the mecha factory lot. Plus, it takes more diligence to make "battle damages" look real. There is only so much torture plastics can handle ;)

I may be confusing myself with some different sort of models which wouldn't be the first time. Ha. Anywho, weathering/damaging the model does add a depth of realism but does limit the display value to certain scenes. Plus the methods for achieving said effects are torture in itself. It would be like gluing a LEGO set. :fie: I like the 'brand spanking new' appearance myself.

I remember beta testing MechWarrior(?) online game. It had something to do with red vs blue team fighting over territories. Kind of like Risk, except you and your online teammates controlled the mechs that invaded / defended the territory. The other team also consisted of online players, except when there were nobody online then the servers would control the mechs you were fighting against. Do you know what I am talking about ?

The mention of Risk makes me believe it could be MechWarrior Tactics which most considers to be an abandoned project really as it has been offline for a couple years now with the same press release of the game being delayed but not completely cancelled (yet). Actually I thought I read something about the code for MechWarrior Tactics being auctioned off right now so who knows what will come of that.

I did find another similar game but for mobile devices called MechWarrior Tactical Command.

Here are a couple of links to add towards the whole topic. First is a free to play Java based online version of the Battletech board game called MegaMek. The appearance is kept quite simple like the software's general layout for unit selection and such. It basically is the board game with dice and everything but played on a computer plus you can compete against or with other players online.

Now to add some LEGO bits to make the topic more relative, here is a site that has been around for a long time with practically every single mech in the known Battletech universe recreated in digital LEGO form available to download so you can build them yourself known as Brickcommander. The last news update was back at the end of 2011 around the same time LEGO Universe was shut down. Still you should find just about whatever you would want far as seeing your favorite mech as a LEGO model.

Moving along is a Flickr gallery of someone who has physically built a handful of the LEGO mech models found on Brickcommander who has their own blog site of Brickmechs. It hasn't been updated in a couple years either and the blog site is mainly just the Flickr image with some text behind the build.

• Like 1

The mention of Risk makes me believe it could be MechWarrior Tactics which most considers to be an abandoned project really as it has been offline for a couple years now with the same press release of the game being delayed but not completely cancelled (yet). Actually I thought I read something about the code for MechWarrior Tactics being auctioned off right now so who knows what will come of that.

I did find another similar game but for mobile devices called MechWarrior Tactical Command.

My description was not very clear.  The strategy room was Risk-like with territories and ability to attack neighboring territories. However, the gameplay was much like a massive multiplayer version of MechWarrior 2.  It was like the conquest mode of MechWarrior Online (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior_Online), except that I played it in early 2000s.  It may not well be a MechWarrior game at all, just similar.

My description was not very clear. The strategy room was Risk-like with territories and ability to attack neighboring territories. However, the gameplay was much like a massive multiplayer version of MechWarrior 2. It was like the conquest mode of MechWarrior Online (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior_Online), except that I played it in early 2000s. It may not well be a MechWarrior game at all, just similar.

Oookay, a bit further back then. Well I'm at a loss. I can't think of anything with robots of some sort, gameplay setup similar to Risk, and I'm guessing in 3D. I barely remember CyberStorm which was a turn based strategy set in the Earthsiege universe but both that and the sequel were 2D.

On the plus side in my search, I found a mech sim long forgotten called G-Nome.

Oookay, a bit further back then. Well I'm at a loss. I can't think of anything with robots of some sort, gameplay setup similar to Risk, and I'm guessing in 3D. I barely remember CyberStorm which was a turn based strategy set in the Earthsiege universe but both that and the sequel were 2D.

On the plus side in my search, I found a mech sim long forgotten called G-Nome.

It was not isometric or turn based game as I was in the cockpit piloting the mech,  After a while I got bored because the server kept resetting all of the territories to 0 every night, removing any gains/loss either team had accomplished in the day.  It was a beta test afterall.

I never hear of G-Nome :)

It was not isometric or turn based game as I was in the cockpit piloting the mech, After a while I got bored because the server kept resetting all of the territories to 0 every night, removing any gains/loss either team had accomplished in the day. It was a beta test afterall.

Somewhere I feel like I should know this title yet it alludes my senses in my absent-mindedness.

I never hear of G-Nome :)

At best the cover art seems remotely familiar as in a slight glance at a bargain bin back in the day but otherwise I have no idea. I do like finding more mech designs!

Here's some nostalgia for those who played the original MechWarrior computer games of the time or something to make fun of those who didn't. The very first MechWarrior PC game ran on MS-DOS therefore it had none of the fancy videos the later titles were given so instead we'll begin with the sequel, MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat, and all of its cinematics including the couple in the expansion pack, Ghost Bear's Legacy.

MechWarrior 2 - Opening

MechWarrior 2 - Clan Jade Falcon - Intro

MechWarrior 2 - Clan Jade Falcon - Ending

MechWarrior 2 - Clan Wolf - Intro

MechWarrior 2 - Clan Wolf - Ending

MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy - Intro

MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy - Raid

MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy - Ending

I had to post these from the expansion separately due to the post video limit. Oh well, here is a good HD remake of the original opening I thought was neat.

Plus an HD remake of the Clan Wolf Ending and Ghost Bear's Legacy intro.

Has anyone ever played Virtua On ? This is an awesome mech games, as you control your mech's movements, targeting, and weapons using 2 joysticks. The mechs move much more like fighting game (ie. Street Fighter) characters, as supposed to MechWarrior 

Each mech has its own power/weapons/weakness.

I never saw this state-side, but apparently it is available at certain US locations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1BwvEx7-Z8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbgtFz06YAQ

Has anyone ever played Virtua On ? This is an awesome mech games, as you control your mech's movements, targeting, and weapons using 2 joysticks. The mechs move much more like fighting game (ie. Street Fighter) characters, as supposed to MechWarrior 

Each mech has its own power/weapons/weakness.

I never saw this state-side, but apparently it is available at certain US locations:

I had a chance to play it once either in Las Vegas or some arcade back in California but not long enough to truly get a grasp at the gameplay. I was more drawn to the dual-sit-down-cabinet of Cyber-Sled with the joysticks at the sides of the seat. I also recall some virtual tank machine by SEGA but figures it was "out of order". :( Yeah, the system is powered on, attract mode playing with sound, and yet a piece of stationary taped across the monitor. I guess it was the coin box not registering correctly or something.

Here are the cinematics from the one I played to death for the longest time, MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries. I also came across an HD remake of the opening.

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries - Opening

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries - Eject from mech

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries - Death

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries - Ending (Battle Of Tukayyid)

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries - Ending: Bad (retire with less than a certain amount of C-Bills)

MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries - Ending: Good (retire with a buttload of C-Bills)

For some like me who originally came into the MechWarrior scene around the second PC game, this real-time strategy offshoot may have been one most remember first and for good reason. There was full motion video same as the Wing Commander series except with unknowns for actors but still good all the same. The clips posted here are taken from the main game plus the expansion which later could be easily acquired in the MechCommander Gold pack.

MechCommander - Intro

MechCommander - Ending (Port Arthur)

MechCommander: Expansion - Ending

• 2 weeks later...

A number of years after MechWarrior 2 came the third sequel in the PC series with of course MechWarrior 3. The visuals were impressive in particular the cockpit within each mech. However the overall 'feel' to the game to me seemed off and the complaints about rather dumb AI were numerous. I remember the controls suffering too like before being able to simply torso twist with the mouse yet here it only moved your arms and you had to assign the twist function to separate keys. This was also the last title where basically every mech was apparently an "omnimech" meaning you could assign anything to anywhere. Shoot, even machine guns in the legs which is just weird. You had a limit of sixteen weapons max if I recall correctly. The best fun I remember having was sticking a full load of flamers in a fast Puma and making enemies explode in a blaze of BOOM! :biggrin:

Anywho, here are the only two cut scenes from the game's campaign mode which honestly I never made through because I found myself already getting bored of the game not too long into it. Like I said, the feel just seemed off but that was just me. Only things that got me in the intro were how did the Vulture get damaged when he was so far from the exploding Timber Wolf? Also I thought you can still fire off a round of missiles without a lock. They just wouldn't home in but act like a 'zoomy rocket' towards the reticle. Still this intro is one of the best in its cinematic quality which brings up the old topic with why hasn't there been a MechWarrior movie? How has this not happened? Seriously.

MechWarrior 3 - Opening

MechWarrior 3 - Ending

The last one in the regular sim series before heading into online territory was MechWarrior 4: Vengeance followed by the Black Knight expansion and the stand alone Mercenaries title using the same engine and tech. It is the last one with an actual storyline as well aside from MechCommander 2 that came out somewhat later.

Speaking of story, Vengeance had one mission where afterwards if you chose this or that the ending was different with one actually being canon to the Battletech universe while the other is not. Funny part is the non-canon ending was the better between the two in my opinion and the one I received at beating the campaign. I believe the mission was you either save your sister and her remaining lance from some bandits or get a weapons cache her company's attack distracted the enemies from. It was at the end of the game, you had a ton of stuff already, and saving her was the right thing wasn't it? Besides who needs more crap to collect with only the final mission left.

Anyway the game looked good for the most part except the cockpits and the gameplay was fun, fast, and rough. The sophisticated Mech Bay for this title changed things for better or worse depending on your preference. For me I thought it gave strategy to every battlemech in their weapons layout and made each more unique than prior titles since you couldn't just fit whatever you wanted in any mech chosen.

MechWarrior 4: Vengeance - Opening

MechWarrior 4: Vengeance - Ending 1 (non-canon)

MechWarrior 4: Vengeance - Ending 2 (canon)

MechWarrior 4: Black Knight - Opening

MechWarrior 4: Black Knight - Ending

Too many Mechwarriors stuffs :P

Here is a clip from Gundam 08th MS team, arguably the most "realistic" out of any Gundam series.  Realistic meaning the Gundam / Gouf / mechs were the mass produced types (ie no special powers) and were used like super advanced tanks (as supposed to invincible "giant gods" that slice and dice everything on their paths).

The blue mech / Gouf was controlled by the most elite pilot of the Zeon side, which was why it took the whole 08th MS team to defeat him.  Even though he was defeated, ultimately his mission (destroying all Guntanks / the mechs with 2 canons on shoulders) was a success.

English dub version (cut differently, ie without the conclusion of the battle)

Edited by Darth_Raichu

Too many Mechwarriors stuffs :P

Well I'm just going through the list from my own stuff which mainly was MechWarrior/Battletech. I know I am not an expert at any Gundam series though I do like many of the designs therefore I leave that field up to you Gundam Master. B) Speaking of Gundam....

Even though he was defeated, ultimately his mission (destroying all Guntanks / the mechs with 2 canons on shoulders) was a success.

Kind of playing off your statement, I remember the Guncannon mech more than the Guntank. Just one of those designs that stood out I guess.

Taking a break from the Battletech universe, here is the trailer to the film responsible for all my mecha fascination to start with called Robot Jox. In a future where lines were drawn over control of the world's continents, a regional battle was held to gain or lose territories through towering mechanical monsters driven by trained athletes. There was a semi sequel of Robot Wars but that was more like one of those side stories in the then growing universe of Full Moon pictures. I also added the first fight scene between the bad guy Alexander and hero Achilles so you can get a small taste of these thundering titans.

Well I'm just going through the list from my own stuff which mainly was MechWarrior/Battletech. I know I am not an expert at any Gundam series though I do like many of the designs therefore I leave that field up to you Gundam Master. B) Speaking of Gundam....

Kind of playing off your statement, I remember the Guncannon mech more than the Guntank. Just one of those designs that stood out I guess.

Hardly a Gundam fans anymore.  I have not had time to watch anime and there were some Gundam remakes in the past few years that I have not seen.  All I know was just the old stuffs :P

IIRC the Guncannon kit was simpler to assemble and paint than most

45_Guncannon_01.jpg

Edited by Darth_Raichu