40158 - Pirates Chess Set (2015)

TheOrcKing

I talked with Lego today, it appears the designer never played chess, and a few pieces were in the wrong location in the instructions. They need to reprint the directions so the are not teaching children/AFOL's how to play chess incorrectly... :negative:

Let someone who don't play chess to design a lego chess set? That sounds ridiculous. I bet TLG is pretty embarrassed now. They may pay $200 to recycle any first wave. Lol. Hold on, folks. Wait till TLG begging for this and paying gold! Edited by freakchem

Let someone who don't play chess to design a lego chess set? That sounds ridiculous. I bet TLG is pretty embarrassed now. They may pay $200 to recycle any first wave. Lol. Hold on, folks. Wait till TLG begging for this and paying gold!

That is exactly what I thought when I talked to them on the phone about it. Edited by WildBricks

I talked with Lego today, it appears the designer never played chess, and a few pieces were in the wrong location in the instructions. They need to reprint the directions so the are not teaching children/AFOL's how to play chess incorrectly... :negative:

That explained how white bishops and knights look very similar and virtually interchangeable. :D

Bought my first one today.  box is like toothpaste.  (minty fresh).  My wife, who hates all my lego addiction and wants to rage kick them all, suggests I keep this one sealed if it has such glaring errors. I think she's right.  

Maybe the safe bet is to buy a few of these between now and the re-issue. Then buy one to open at that time.    

I was wondering if this edition is so significantly wrong in both box-art and instructions, then will TLG re-publish this set with a new set number? Has that happened before?

Yes - the board is the wrong way around - even on the box itself. The lighter of both colors (white usually) has to be on your left bottom corner, for both players.

Do you mean on bottom RIGHT? When facing the board from the side you are playing on? But yeah the box picture has it wrong. Edited by lobo1969

Bought my first one today.  box is like toothpaste.  (minty fresh).  My wife, who hates all my lego addiction and wants to rage kick them all, suggests I keep this one sealed if it has such glaring errors. I think she's right.  

Maybe the safe bet is to buy a few of these between now and the re-issue. Then buy one to open at that time.    

I was wondering if this edition is so significantly wrong in both box-art and instructions, then will TLG re-publish this set with a new set number? Has that happened before?

10213/10231 comes to mind. They did a redo to make the build sturdier.

From the other hand, Sears->Willis Tower rename (requiring box art and instructions change) did not trigger set number change

Lego works in mysterious ways. Chaos. In my example the newer set is a little more sought after (better build), in yours the older one commands a premium (that building will ALWAYS be the Sears Tower no matter what it's actual name is). So the firm answer to the OP is...maybe.

Lego works in mysterious ways. Chaos. In my example the newer set is a little more sought after (better build), in yours the older one commands a premium (that building will ALWAYS be the Sears Tower no matter what it's actual name is). So the firm answer to the OP is...maybe.

I am betting that set with error will not be sought after... It is not a stamp or coin. Primary intent of the set is play, not display

on the other hand though, the pieces should all be the same. Just the build instructions will be different. how often does TLG make blatant errors in their packaging? Reasoning that because it's not a stamp or coin isn't a perfect dismissal. If it were then we could assume that there are no people who collect misb sets to keep them that way. You're probably correct. But it won't kill me to pick up a handful. Low risk.

on the other hand though, the pieces should all be the same. Just the build instructions will be different. how often does TLG make blatant errors in their packaging? Reasoning that because it's not a stamp or coin isn't a perfect dismissal. If it were then we could assume that there are no people who collect misb sets to keep them that way. You're probably correct. But it won't kill me to pick up a handful. Low risk.

Not just build instructions but the box art/photo should be changed as well. Do that and collectability factor amps up a bit...

Where are you getting them I thought they pulled them off of the shelves?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spotted today at lego b&m: boxes from 51O4 taped over with new seals with 18O5. So obviously there was no error on the boxes but only an issue inside.

​They might have decided to just go with the error on the box. It would be good to see a picture. The problem is that for both sides the right, back corner has to be white - but even on lego.com the box clearly shows it as being black.

​They might have decided to just go with the error on the box. It would be good to see a picture. The problem is that for both sides the right, back corner has to be white - but even on lego.com the box clearly shows it as being black.

​The box is the same old one as before. If it was not, they would not have taped the old seals over but printed new boxes and trashed the others. The setup the figures are put into on the box front is still 90 degrees wrong, a black square being to the lower right of each player

​The box is the same old one as before. If it was not, they would not have taped the old seals over but printed new boxes and trashed the others. The setup the figures are put into on the box front is still 90 degrees wrong, a black square being to the lower right of each player

​So, we don't really know if these are the "new" ones we expect with the mistake being corrected then. It might make sense to re-use any old boxes they have left. That error is not that important on the box as in the instructions. We might end up with interesting combinations of 'wrong or correct box or instructions.

​So, we don't really know if these are the "new" ones we expect with the mistake being corrected then. It might make sense to re-use any old boxes they have left. That error is not that important on the box as in the instructions. We might end up with interesting combinations of 'wrong or correct box or instructions.

​Right, they can/might/should still come up with new boxes as soon the misprinted ones are used up. Still, as someone here mentioned before, it's hard for me to imagine the misprints to rise in value since this is a "relatively unspectacular" chess set. If it was a Star Wars set it would be another story I guess.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to 40158 - Pirates Chess Set (2015)