Selling Retired CMFs - By the Case, or individually?

maryjmeg

I have a sealed case of Series 3 CMFs I've been trying to sell with no luck. If I even do sell it, after fees and tracked, insured shipping (at least $40 from canada to the U.S), my profit is going to be less than I hoped for. Would I be better to crack it open and sell them individually or as sets of 16? How many sets of 16 could I expect to get out of a case? 2? 3? My buy-in price was about $200 CAD, including tax and shipping.

I have a sealed case of Series 3 CMFs I've been trying to sell with no luck. If I even do sell it, after fees and tracked, insured shipping (at least $40 from canada to the U.S), my profit is going to be less than I hoped for. Would I be better to crack it open and sell them individually or as sets of 16? How many sets of 16 could I expect to get out of a case? 2? 3? My buy-in price was about $200 CAD, including tax and shipping.

You should expect to get 3 sets of 16, but the box breakdown doesn't seem to be as googlable as newer boxes. I think Lego has been pretty consistent about it though... As for selling a box vs sets vs singles, I suggest you go to Bricklink and check out the average selling price of the minifigs..

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=M&catID=758

Also check eBay to see what sets of 16 sell for. I suspect if you make 3 complete sets, you'll probably realize more profit than if you try to sell the entire box. For the leftovers, sell them individually or try to get the ones you are missing for cheaper and sell more complete sets.

Thanks for the advice- it is what my instinct was telling me. Full sets of 16 seem to be going for close to $115 USD, and three full sets would indeed bring in more money than what I am asking for a full case. Shipping would also be a lot cheaper and easier, which would help me keep my profit margins higher.