Minecraft in stock

hreed1985

I can't say I really understand what's going on with this set.....

Minecraft Lego is a clever collaboration/license on Lego's part. While I don't 'get' the game, it has great appeal. And like good popular video games, there's plenty of merchandising to cash in on. Just witness all the stuff with Angry Birds.

I don't 'get' the crappy board games and the gazillion other peripherals based on Angry Birds, but hey, fans like enough to shell out $$$. And Lego + Minecraft has a great thematic link. FYI, here's how popular Minecraft is according to Wikipedia:

A of December 13, 2012, the game has sold over 8.3 million copies on PC and over 17.5 million copies across all platforms.

Assuming even 1% of the people who play Minecraft decide to get the Lego set, that's still 175,000 sets sold. Not bad eh?

I agree. Amazon is just messing with us at this point :(

A quick look at Brickpricker page on Minecraft shows this set is not like many other sets we frequently talk about (TB, FB, IS, etc).

eBay shows THOUSANDS of Minecrafts being sold per month, but that does not seem to be the case for other sets - only in dozens, not thousands.

It's like everyone, their mothers, fathers, cousins, dogs, cats, snails, etc got "bullseye eyes" on this item and want to sell it on ebay for quick profit.

I think it's a bubble waiting to happen IMHO, despite the recent blog piece on this site. When the interest in game wanes, the market will be left with tons of Minecrafts, diminishing its value greatly.

The other sets won't be affected as much, because they're not sold "in the thousands or even hundreds" every month.

Just my novice analysis and of course I could be grossly wrong.

Minecraft is a pretty big deal, over 9 million people have purchased it and even now they sell over 10,000 new licenses a day. From the PC they've also expanded to gaming consoles and even phones! Like all games it will eventually slow down and probably decline but it is all about building with blocks! Gaming success in building that TLG lacks! On the latest Microsoft LIve Activity Chart it is the number 2 game with the most players online at one time behind only Call of Duty Black Ops II. It is also the number 1 most purchased game on the same charts. Minecraft has been #1 or #2 for months! So my guess is that Minecraft still has a ways to go in popularity. Both my boys played it but have mostly moved on to other games and now my nine year old daughter plays it. As games go it is really not too violent (there are things that can and will attack you) and it is fun to build tricky creations with hidden or clever mechanisms that you can show to your friends. That being said I am only ordering this from Amazon at list for free shipping and no tax as I am worried that Lego will just keep it in production until they finally have to discount it to sell it, then I think they will stop producing it.