Order Cancelled Illegitimate Claims for Free Parts?

stackables

Guest TabbyBoy

I had the same when I contacted them about 3rd Floor missing on all 9x GE that I bought from Amazon Spain.  Amazon wouldn't replace at first but, did when I forwarded them the message saying that LEGO won't replace.  I expect a lot of people are trying it on, especially for rare parts.

I am sure lego can afford the pieces.  I figured it would be pretty easy to find the abusers. 

It's not just cost of pieces but the cost of answering the order...having someone find the pieces...package them up...pay for shipping...packaging etc.      

It costs about $1 per minute for the average call center to service a customer. So, 1,000 customer calls lasting ten minutes each costs $10,000...Add in the rest of the above and it's not cheap.  It's an extremely generous program.  (I've never used it.)

It's not just cost of pieces but the cost of answering the order...having someone find the pieces...package them up...pay for shipping...packaging etc.      

It costs about $1 per minute for the average call center to service a customer. So, 1,000 customer calls lasting ten minutes each costs $10,000...Add in the rest of the above and it's not cheap.  It's an extremely generous program.  (I've never used it.)

Yes, it is a good program, but nothing is free - we all pay for the program.

Lego has already stopped allowing you to get licensed parts due to folks abusing the system.  It's only a matter of time before they stop altogether due to abuse. 

You can get licensed parts, you just need to provide proof of purchase.  One of the arms of my Jabba figure was broken when I opened up a Sail Barge.  They replaced it for free, but I needed to give them the number off the back of the instruction book.

the thing is though, I believe the fraud may not be anywhere what people may claim.  It seems like for Lego, keeping the service open is better for business.  Think about.  As a customer, if something is missing and they are willing to do whatever it takes to fix the problem as easy as possible, you're more likely to get repeat customers and therefore, bring in more money.

I've used it before, because one of my animals knocked off my set and it actually bent one of the pieces and they replaced it no questions asked.  For me it's no matter, I'll always shop Legos, but it's just an awesome thing to have.

The only other company where I've had such great customer service was with Onkyo.  My receiver's HDMI board went out sometime after the warranty had expired and I talked to the customer service guy about it, and before I could honestly finish telling him what was wrong, he sent me the information to fill out and fixed it free of charge.  It cost over $400 to repair the receiver.  They don't have to do that, they could have easily made me pay.  But guess what? I'm a customer for life, and I tell everyone that's an audiophile about my experience.

This program is necessary for missing pieces.  Nothing kills the buzz of building a new set as much as a missing piece, there has to be a vehicle in place for taking care of this.  I would think they could find the abusers easy enough.

The bigger issue I have is broken pieces.  I have a bunch of cracked cheese slopes, and pieces that snap in the round bars.  I called one time and asked about pieces that broke after the first build, can they still be replaced.  The rep told me to go ahead and order them, I still haven't though, Ive meant to call and get a second opinion.  I also need a dark gray hand for a Boba Fett, but I have to order the whole torso, which I don't need.

You can get licensed parts, you just need to provide proof of purchase.  One of the arms of my Jabba figure was broken when I opened up a Sail Barge.  They replaced it for free, but I needed to give them the number off the back of the instruction book.

I should have rephrased, I messed up there.  You can probably acquire a lost piece, but I know they won't sell licensed stuff anymore.  I was able to get a Maersk train sticker sheet last year but they told me they would not sell them, but since mine was "missing"(their words, not mine), they would send me one free of charge.  I explained I had bought one and it didn't have stickers and wasn't about to spend $30 on a sticker sheet and she allowed me one, but no more than that and said she was doing me a service at that.

I have a feeling if someone asked more than a handful of times for free "special" parts they'd get banned from the program, which they should.

Huskers,

I've called and asked about that before.  I asked if I could just buy a sticker sheet for some sets to have in the inevitable time that stickers start to peel off and fade, etc.  But they won't sell Licensed anything.   It's because of some license agreement they have with the company that prevents them from doing that.

Honestly, I think that's the biggest disservice that can happen.  You can buy just about any other regular sticker sheet no problem, but not licensed ones.

Which that whole is odd, because they easily can sell licensed sets with them, but not individual parts.  You know they have to pay a royalty to use the name and everything in order to sell, is it really that difficult to pay a royalty on individual parts as well?

I have a very good opinion of the Hungarian CS. When they made a mistake that botched up my VIP account they told me to make a new one, they activated it manually for the same address and added a load of VIP points for my troubles. I guess they will be able to fix your problem too.

Edited by inversion

Which that whole is odd, because they easily can sell licensed sets with them, but not individual parts.  You know they have to pay a royalty to use the name and everything in order to sell, is it really that difficult to pay a royalty on individual parts as well?

The restriction has to do with how Star Wars is licensed, not just a per-item royalty issue.

In the United States LEGO has a license to sell Star Wars themed construction sets.That license includes the right to include Star Wars themed minifigures as part of the construction set. In contrast, Hasbro has the license to sell Star Wars action figures.

If LEGO were to sell individual Star Wars minifigures outside of construction sets that would infringe on Hasbro's exclusive right to sell action figures. Selling individual Star Wars minifigures as "replacement parts" would be a back-door way of circumventing this contractual restriction.

This is why you will only see Star Wars minifigure polybags (like 2853590 or 2856197) as promotional items that are given away and not sold directly.

LEGO mentioned this restriction when they rejected the Star Wars Dark Bucket project on Cuusoo.

This is a (very) fun concept, but since we have the construction toy license and not the action figure license for Star Wars, it will not be possible to release a set consisting solely of minifigures. If the Dark Bucket concept were to go further, it would need to include some significant brick-based model component to be considered a construction toy for licensing purposes.

For similar reasons, set 3866 The Battle of Hoth was never released in the United States.

Edited by Spanky

I did this exact same thing except my Quinjet set was missing Black Widow and Iron Man.

Never got anything from Lego. 

I'm not even talking about the minifigures.  Something like the stickers you can't get.  And I know the stickers don't fall in line with the action figure portion.  It's just a bummer.

And that's what worries me more than anything.  I apply all my stickers because it's part of it, and helps to complete the set.  I guess I should stock up on stickers from bricklink when a set first comes out when they are still relatively cheap so I don't have to worry about ridiculous aftermarket prices when a set retires.