Need help on weird craigslist response...

Yinchuan

Hey, listed a Craigslist item and received an unusual response. Ever seen this before?? Unsure how to proceed...

"Hello... Thanks for getting back to me.. I will be buying from you so

please kindly withdraw the advert from Craigs_List. i will be paying

with a via US Certified Check from my Bank it will be delivered to you

via (UPS Next Day Air

Okay. Sounds good. I was just hoping to avoid ebay fees and we have a pretty tiny craigslist market here so when a good sale comes along....did not sit right though so wanted to check. So do I just go radio silence at this point or just tell him it is sold?

The last time I got one of these I replied back "cash only".  They were the ones to go dark.

What sometimes helps to make a decision is to simply copy and paste part of the message into google. Do that with yours and you will see that apparently a lot of others got messages that are almost identical: a sure sign of a scam. Another quite sure sign is that nothing in that message is about you, or the item in question. It is simply a very bad general "letter", not specific in any way.

Aye, usually if the product i'm selling isn't referenced in their message its a red flag for me. I assume he just sent this message to everyone selling a product worth scamming. 

i'd reply that I only do face-to-face sales and cash only. If he's legit and wants it he'll reply. 

I'll assume it was a fairly high-priced listing... These scam artists are trolling for your personal information and some chance you might ship the item before the bank cancels the phony certified check.

There are a few signs to look for that they always use...

1) The email addresses are always strange, and always some free email service such as gmail.

2) They never negotiate on the initial request about "is this item still for sale" email.

3) They ignore "cash only" comments in the postings.

4) They want to pay by certified check of some kind hand delivered so you give them your personal info.

5) Some third party company will pick it up for them.

6) If you ever push to "cash only, local pickup" they'll use some kind of line like "currently out of town for business" or something similar.

If it seems like a scam, paste their email address into google. Chances are they've used the account multiple times and it'll show up in a search.

They've been particularly bad in here in Canada since after Xmas.

Hey, listed a Craigslist item and received an unusual response. Ever seen this before?? Unsure how to proceed...

"Hello... Thanks for getting back to me.. I will be buying from you so

please kindly withdraw the advert from Craigs_List. i will be paying

with a via US Certified Check from my Bank it will be delivered to you

via (UPS Next Day Air

I'll assume it was a fairly high-priced listing... These scam artists are trolling for your personal information and some chance you might ship the item before the bank cancels the phony certified check.

There are a few signs to look for that they always use...

1) The email addresses are always strange, and always some free email service such as gmail.

2) They never negotiate on the initial request about "is this item still for sale" email.

3) They ignore "cash only" comments in the postings.

4) They want to pay by certified check of some kind hand delivered so you give them your personal info.

5) Some third party company will pick it up for them.

6) If you ever push to "cash only, local pickup" they'll use some kind of line like "currently out of town for business" or something similar.

If it seems like a scam, paste their email address into google. Chances are they've used the account multiple times and it'll show up in a search.

They've been particularly bad in here in Canada since after Xmas.

This was pretty much it to a T. Awesome advice from all!

Yes just ignore it and move on there will be another (legit) buyer that comes along.

What Steve said.  It's an obvious fraud.  These come a dime a dozen these days.  Just ignore anything that sounds remotely like this and move on.

The key Red Flags are:

Broken and / or very poor English

Sentences that don't make sense

Asking for banking / routing info

The buyer asking to pay a high price for the item

Any response that appears to be a cut and pasted copy of a generic message

Just about anything with an Indian or Indonesian address

And there are many many more...

I've been a police officer for 14 years and for whatever reason people fall for these scams every day by the tens of thousands...

Peace out!

-Rob

What Steve said.  It's an obvious fraud.  These come a dime a dozen these days.  Just ignore anything that sounds remotely like this and move on.

The key Red Flags are:

Broken and / or very poor English

Sentences that don't make sense

Asking for banking / routing info

The buyer asking to pay a high price for the item

Any response that appears to be a cut and pasted copy of a generic message

Just about anything with an Indian or Indonesian address

And there are many many more...

I've been a police officer for 14 years and for whatever reason people fall for these scams every day by the tens of thousands...

Peace out!

-Rob

You are being insulting much to us. This can be prooof of the profiling of raciality. Please to be providing I with Security Social number and also surname of mother prior to arranged marriage.

• Like 2