What is a box worth?

I often see sets that are complete with instructions in very good condition, but without a box. How does that affect the value of a set?

The difference in value could be huge. A set without a box could be worth half of what a set with a box is worth. I would say a MISB is top of the value chart. A complete set that is used, but in good condition with all parts, boxes and instructions is about 50% to 75% of the MISB price. A used set with no box is lower than that.

The difference in value could be huge. A set without a box could be worth half of what a set with a box is worth. I would say a MISB is top of the value chart. A complete set that is used, but in good condition with all parts, boxes and instructions is about 50% to 75% of the MISB price. A used set with no box is lower than that.I agree with this. If you are just into building sets or MOCs, them boxes don't matter. But if you want to retain any value, a box in good condition is a must.

• 1 month later...

I often see sets that are complete with instructions in very good condition, but without a box. How does that affect the value of a set?

If you are worried about resell values on sets I would suggest buying and never opening the box.

EDIT: Changed " YOUR" to " YOU ARE"