10248 - Ferrari F40

Val-E

Guys, I checked the weight of my unopened 10248 received from Target last week and measured 1364gr. Bricklink says 1322gr. Can someone confirm the weight of one or more of their unopened boxes? I looked at the seals of mine and they look untouched ... BTW, pounds and ounces weight is 3lbs 0.1oz so if someone has imperial measurements that's great too ... Seal code 46R5.

Edited by Phil B

22 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Why can't it be more like the Porsche technic that's coming out soon?

Not even close to t1 or mini, I'd love to love it, but it's for...kids...the ones that it's made for :) 

....damn I can't wait for the Porsche...

... or the Caterham Seven. That thing looks sweeeeet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Guys, I checked the weight of my unopened 10248 received from Target last week and measured 1364gr. Bricklink says 1322gr. Can someone confirm the weight of one or more of their unopened boxes? I looked at the seals of mine and they look untouched ... BTW, pounds and ounces weight is 3lbs 0.1oz so if someone has imperial measurements that's great too ... Seal code 46R5.

Both of mine from TRU online are 1360.  Seal 46r5.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil B said:

Paper is heavy and the literature may be the reason for the weight difference.

Many moons ago in 2006 Lego had production issues of missing pieces in their kits. I had stored some 2006 kits for 3 years and when they sold I had a few customers complain of non-proprietary missing pieces so I weighed my remaining stock. To my surprise there were multiples of three different weights for the same exact kit. I telephoned Lego Shop at Home and the rep. told me that was due to the origin of kits being manufactured in different countries at different dates in time and because of different literature pamphlets in the kits. Of course missing a few pieces may have been the reason, and some were missing pieces also, but I did believe the Lego rep. to be correct.

Moisture in the air can also affect the weight as it will saturate the cardboard.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, Padolski said:

Alright, who's loading up on these?

Pretty solid model, worth it to invest? Rumour says it's retiring by end of year/early next year (thebrickfan.com).

thoughts?

I think the most you can really say is it has potential. 

Unfortunately just retiring does not guarantee a price bump these days so buying at RRP is risky. Whether it's a success or failure depends largely on how many people and what kind of people decide to Load Up.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I think the most you can really say is it has potential. 

Unfortunately just retiring does not guarantee a price bump these days so buying at RRP is risky. Whether it's a success or failure depends largely on how many people and what kind of people decide to Load Up.

It probably does have potential, but only just. I doubt any money will be made on these within 2 years of EOL if bought at RRP. The problem in the UK is that this set is exclusive-ish and is rarely discounted. Since it's a Ferrari, I'd expect a lot of petrol-headed AFOLs and QFLLs to load up on these so competition may be fierce yet again, we'll see. I have 2 of these anyway and will not be buying any more unless at 50% off in a last minute sale.

This set's availability falls straight in the 2 year lag between the moment when those in the know switched over from reselling big sets to reselling small sets and the time when the general public catches on with this paradigm shift (which is right around now). In other words, tons will be hoarded and sold for very little gains by impatient people who thought reselling LEGO was easy money.

59 minutes ago, Phil B said:

This set's availability falls straight in the 2 year lag between the moment when those in the know switched over from reselling big sets to reselling small sets and the time when the general public catches on with this paradigm shift (which is right around now). In other words, tons will be hoarded and sold for very little gains by impatient people who thought reselling LEGO was easy money.

wait people in the know are buying small sets now??  damn behind the curve as usual...

Is under $100 now considered a big set?  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Padolski said:

Alright, who's loading up on these?

Pretty solid model, worth it to invest? Rumour says it's retiring by end of year/early next year (thebrickfan.com).

thoughts?

Well, there are pros and cons...

Pros: The Ferrari F40 is considered as one of the best Supercars ever. This Lego set does it justice and is generally well reviewed. If it does indeed retire ahead of the VW T1 and the Mini Cooper then that is also a plus. It's also unlikely that LEGO will ever do another Ferrari F40 model in this same Creator Expert range. 

Cons: This Lego model is apparently less popular than the other cars in the Creator Expert cars series and lower demand during its production life may also mean lesser demand post retirement of the set. The Lego model is at a bit smaller scale than the Mini Cooper and the VW Beatle which makes it less impressive as a Lego model.

Considering current market conditions and the reduced profitability of investing in Lego sets I don't think it's wise to put a lot of money into loading up on this F40 set. But if you have some money spare and don't see anything else you'd better invest it in, then get a few boxes at a decent discount. Don't waste your money on buying them at RRP though because you'll be competing for years with those who did get them at good discounts.

57 minutes ago, Haay said:

Well, there are pros and cons...

Pros: The Ferrari F40 is considered as one of the best Supercars ever. This Lego set does it justice and is generally well reviewed. If it does indeed retire ahead of the VW T1 and the Mini Cooper then that is also a plus. It's also unlikely that LEGO will ever do another Ferrari F40 model in this same Creator Expert range. 

Cons: This Lego model is apparently less popular than the other cars in the Creator Expert cars series and lower demand during its production life may also mean lesser demand post retirement of the set. The Lego model is at a bit smaller scale than the Mini Cooper and the VW Beatle which makes it less impressive as a Lego model.

Considering current market conditions and the reduced profitability of investing in Lego sets I don't think it's wise to put a lot of money into loading up on this F40 set. But if you have some money spare and don't see anything else you'd better invest it in, then get a few boxes at a decent discount. Don't waste your money on buying them at RRP though because you'll be competing for years with those who did get them at good discounts.

So, you're saying, wait for 50% off?

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, ravenb99 said:

Will there be quotas involved??

Not sure, it depends on how many they need to shift. I remember buying 10x 41122 Friends and 10x 41176 Elves sets at 50% off without a problem. I sold them all at RRP last month.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...