10248 - Ferrari F40

Val-E

It is interesting, it appears there is some very positive press in response to the model from places I might not have expected.  Maybe LEGO is banking on folks who might not typical purchase LEGO to try this set out and the price point makes that easier to persuade them?  Not sure.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/legos-new-ferrari-f40-kit-is-the-ferrari-f40-of-lego-kits/

http://www.cnet.com/news/lego-rolls-out-80s-tastic-ferrari-f40-with-v8-engine/

http://lego.gizmodo.com/legos-gorgeous-new-ferrari-f40-even-has-a-removable-v8-1713858670

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/lego-ferrari-f40-picture-gallery-2015-06-26

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/lego-reveals-official-ferrari-f40-model-kit/

Edited by runormal
Added a link

It is interesting, it appears there is some very positive press in response to the model from places I might not have expected.  Maybe LEGO is banking on folks who might not typical purchase LEGO to try this set out and the price point makes that easier to persuade them?  Not sure.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/legos-new-ferrari-f40-kit-is-the-ferrari-f40-of-lego-kits/

http://www.cnet.com/news/lego-rolls-out-80s-tastic-ferrari-f40-with-v8-engine/

http://lego.gizmodo.com/legos-gorgeous-new-ferrari-f40-even-has-a-removable-v8-1713858670

These are general fluff articles for magazines and blog sites to fill up some space with some different content.  To a true collector and builder of LEGO sets, this set underwhelms.  It could have been great, but LEGO chose to keep it reasonably priced and to scale with the other Creator vehicles.  Most of the positive comments I read were about the price, which is the last thing that I care about honestly.  I want a kick ass set first, that is accurate and not hacked up.  This set is too small to accurately replicate the curves and lines of a Ferrari.  Another $30-$40 and another 400-500 pieces could have made all the difference in the world.

• Like 3

I think this set will do just fine, because people are fanatic for large models.  As for vehicles, the Delorean is doing just fine.  The VW Beetle is doing just fine.  I'd say a Ferrari F40 is more popular than a B-Wing or UCS Obi-Wan Starfighter.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 2

This set is too small to accurately replicate the curves and lines of a Ferrari.  Another $30-$40 and another 400-500 pieces could have made all the difference in the world.

I agree.  The front section of the LEGO model looks especially off to me.  I think when I display this set with the T1 and the Mini I might have it facing the opposite direction.

These are general fluff articles for magazines and blog sites to fill up some space with some different content.  To a true collector and builder of LEGO sets, this set underwhelms.  It could have been great, but LEGO chose to keep it reasonably priced and to scale with the other Creator vehicles.  Most of the positive comments I read were about the price, which is the last thing that I care about honestly.  I want a kick ass set first, that is accurate and not hacked up.  This set is too small to accurately replicate the curves and lines of a Ferrari.  Another $30-$40 and another 400-500 pieces could have made all the difference in the world.

I also read a lot of comments that describe it as "the poster I had when I was a kid" so I think LEGO, to a degree, is banking on the popularity of Ferrari to make this set popular despite it's shortcomings. At the price point, people just simply aren't expecting more.

But when I compare it with where Creator models have gone since the Beetle... I have no problem with the T1 being a blocky ugly thing... it is in real life and the LEGO model captures it wonderfully. The mini cooper is a "cute" car and LEGO captured the lines of the real thing with very good precision.

But the F40 is a SUPERCAR and this model just plain sucks when you consider what the F40 meant to the world of SUPERCARs. This model misses the mark in so many ways but especially in the hood lines, the studs near the rear A pillars and the overall squareness of the rear end. The real thing is just smoother...

F40.thumb.jpg.3f7537f07e362d1b49d3c3a6fd

<full disclaimer: I was also a Lamborghini Countach fan and had a poster of a lambo and SR-71A Blackbird on my walls as a kid :)>

• Like 5

I agree with gregpj.  When I was a very young kid I wanted a Mustang since that was my dad's first car (funny considering my dad is a stuff old Electrical Engineer).  Then I discovered this thing called Ferrari and fell in love with it. Had the F40 on my wall as well but no SR-71A (too slow for my tastes, I preferred the Shuttle Columbia).

If you're going to do a set of something like a Toyota Camry you could get away with mediocrity.  If you're going after a top title like Ferrari at least make it something to showcase.  I'm pretty sure in the US there are more gearheads than SW nuts and a good Technic set would have done wonders.  If not a clean lined Creator set like the Mini or T1 as noted above would have done the car justice.  Ultimately it will give TLG sales numbers but I see a lot of man childs who proverbially had their face pressed up against the glass only to be disappointed with something along the lines of "Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdA__2tKoIU

Now I'm going to have to save the blue flame exhausts mods for the Mini or 24 Hr.

Yeah , wishing it was better , more bricks, more details (faster looking), but I think people will still snap it up. Maybe lego knows what it is doing, and it is priced for them to make the maximum amount of money (due to price point and nostalgia), but still wish it was better. Will still buy one.

I was happy to see the F40 made from LEGO. However after careful evaluation, I must also admit that my judgement was rushed and this set sucks. For $90 it is not bad, but honestly it means that because this is released we won't get a $150-200 rendition with better detail. The stickers are beyond saving and the ratios are all off. Just look at the 8169 Lambo, if it was released like this 9-14 set in the Speed Champions line I would have no problems since they are not that different. But it doesn't belong to the exclusive lineup. 

71%2BiMTRJK-L._SL1200_.jpg

Although I am personally quite disappointed about this set. I suspect it will do good after retirement after all. Mainly cause currently there is no other Ferrari available from Lego. Important is that you can buy-in at a good discount and shelf-life does not pass the two years.

• Like 1

Although I am personally quite disappointed about this set. I suspect it will do good after retirement after all. Mainly cause currently there is no other Ferrari available from Lego. Important is that you can buy-in at a good discount and shelf-life does not pass the two years.

Problem is these sets usually don't get discounted...at least in the US.

Edited by Ed Mack

Next year double VIP and a winter promo will for me be the time to buy. Is this set also being shipped to large retailers, or will it forever be a purely Lego exclusive? VW T1's were heavily discounted very often here in Europe, perhaps similar thing will happen with this Ferrari?

Also think it will do very well thanks to it's appeal to a very large audience, and of course because it's a F40 :-D great car!

To me it is not worthwhile. Sure it might go up but compared to what? I had some of the lambos and they were great designs. Just recently did they start going up. The old enzo technic is awesome. This set sucks. They blew it plain and simple. The good news is there are plenty of great investment alternatives.

• Like 1

Seems like an enjoyable build with some interesting techniques. But what still stands out for me ( apart from the piece count, or lack there of ) is the back end.

His comparison photo with the Burago Ferrari F40 shows this perfectly

875x600.jpg

Edited by TheGallows
update

Seems like an enjoyable build with some interesting techniques. But what still stands out for me ( apart from the piece count, or lack there of ) is the back end.

His comparison photo with the Burago Ferrari F40 shows this perfectly

just sad...