Things I learned from my move from buying to selling

steelmelt

Have you tried selling locally at all? If you live in a sizeable urban area and aren't holding that much inventory, it could be an option. Even if you sell for less, you don't have to account for fees or scams which is nice. I guess it depends how long you hold something though, if you were trying to sell a Grand Carousel, for example, there are only so many buyers with a few grand in hand ready to buy one. 

Good stuff. I learned all these lessons, like you, through experience over these past couple years. It's a great point, about the boxes and packing material. Everything that ships in has to ship out. I break down my boxes and write the dimensions on an edge so I can easily find the right box when shipping

I'm glad you have done so well so far! Solid plan to unload the Dino. I am a huge CITY lover, too, but am still sitting on a few City sets I wished I had never bought, but some (Car & Caravan plus the Fishing Boat), even the small ones, can and do surprise. The nice thing is, there isn't as much competition on some of the smaller City and generic sets. I don't buy quite as much as I did in the beginning, but I still wouldn't hesitate to grab most City sets with a nice promo/discount. At worst I can always open them and play with them!

Great Article.  I have been selling for a couple of years and learned many of these things along the way.  The concept of space being a resource was a very important point.  I agree with the idea of the $80 to $200 sets.  I am just starting to move up to the exclusives myself but I have the problem pulling the trigger on any set at MSRP.  I am stuck in the clearance aisle and am lucky enough to find them in SE Michigan.    Thinking about return vs. buying really helps put an investor focus on my purchases.  I love the buy but knowing I am selling things for 100% or more return is an awesome feeling. 

Thank you for sharing