Need advice on meeting place

mightycaseyatbat

Hey Pickers! I didn't know where else to turn.

I have some audio equipment posted on CL. A Denon receiver and some Bose speakers. A guy from out of state is interested and wanting to drive 1.5 hours to get here.

I am not keen on a stranger from out of state coming into my home with 2 kids under 3.

He of course wants to hear the items. So I ask, can anyone recommend a place to meet this dude so he can demo the equipment? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and have him come to my house?

Thanks dudes.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

hell no, not your house.  if they have to try the equipment out, bring and extension cord and meet in front of a grocery store. (they always have outlets on the outside wall).I'm sure it would be fine if they came to your house but why chance it for a lil cash

I know that everyone is scared to have people over to their house because of all the horror stories they hear on the news and websites but the chances of this guy being a craigslist killer are basically nil. You only hear the bad stories and no good ones. The latter outnumber the former by millions I'm sure.

I agree with this post. I don't think the news will cover my story. "Guy sells Lego on craigslist, no one gets hurt"
  • Like 1

I know that everyone is scared to have people over to their house because of all the horror stories they hear on the news and websites but the chances of this guy being a craigslist killer are basically nil. You only hear the bad stories and no good ones. The latter outnumber the former by millions I'm sure.

Agreed. I have had people come to my house numerous times to pick up or drop off an item. Everything has worked out well for me.

It really isn't that big a deal, but when it comes to your family's safety you have to do what's best for you.

I usually did stuff like this in the garage, if that's an option for you.  That way they don't really know what you have inside or whether you have a wife and kids.

Do you have a park nearby?  Sometime those pavilions have a convenience receptacle.

There are exterior receptacles all over, convenience stores, big box stores, churches, it should be too hard to find some power outside in a public place.

The dangers of CL transactions are highly over-rated. Like Pitbull attacks and school shootings and random cars driving through your living room windows the news always makes it seem a lot more "epidemic" than it is. Bad things sometimes happen, life is uncertain.

When stalkers and serial killers are looking for victims, they're typically looking for women living alone. When child molesters are looking for victims, they're typically looking for at-risk latchkey or otherwise unsupervised or unwanted kids.

I agree with the garage to discourage lingering - that's the real danger I've always found with CL transactions, the waste of my time when I just want to get the deal done!

• Like 1