Sold To New Bidder with No Feedback

supergtp1

Need some advice here guys... I sold a large exclusive set and the buyer has already paid through paypal... 

the buyer is literally brand new today and has no feedback either... I tried looking up the shipping address through google maps but I can't seem to find the actual residence.... some hwy and apt number.

what would you guys do? 

Need some advice here guys... I sold a large exclusive set and the buyer has already paid through paypal... 

the buyer is literally brand new today and has no feedback either... I tried looking up the shipping address through google maps but I can't seem to find the actual residence.... some hwy and apt number.

what would you guys do?

See if there is Seller Protection eligible on paypal. If there is, you are safe, but if high value make sure you get signature confirmation. If not eligible, hold the package for a few days (3-4 or longer), and see if there is a chargeback that would have happened if the person uses stolen credit cards.

You should ship the package, you have a contractual obligation to do so.

After reading some various nightmares here...I'm just so worried that this could be some scammer that created a new account and will later state it was NSAD. 

Any advice on how to prevent this? I plan on insuring the package with signature etc... I even almost feel like video taping my self packing it up at the post office while hand delivering it to the postal worker.

Edited by supergtp1

See if there is Seller Protection eligible on paypal. If there is, you are safe, but if high value make sure you get signature confirmation. If not eligible, hold the package for a few days (3-4 or longer), and see if there is a chargeback that would have happened if the person uses stolen credit cards.

It does say "Seller Protection Eligible" and shows a "Confirmed" address. 

Videotaping is irrelevant. Insure it with signature / delivery confirmation. If you get a not as described case let me know. I have an exceptionally well written letter you can send them that almost always fixes the problem.

Next time list the set with a high price and best offer feature, that way you can pick the buyer. You might scare off a couple buyers but the security of picking the buyer is worth it.

Ultimately you have to decide your own risk tolerance. If you can't afford to take the risk then cancel the sale and take the hit to your feedback which quite honestly is probably more costly than getting ripped off.

Edited by meowingthings
  • Like 1

Everyone has to start some where.  High value items you don't want to lose track of you ship with insurance and also signature confirmation.  Make sure you message the buyer that is how it is shipped as well.  Do everything with documentation.

Confirm that you ill provide reciprocal feedback as well. 

Also, if it is an apartment (This is where it gets tricky) it is important to get signature because they can claim it was left by mailboxes and someone else picked up the item. 

Reaching out to the buyer with this information before shipping is also a good policy.  They are as scared of this process as you are being a first time buyer.  Communication can put both of you at ease. 

I myself just recently sold a new 10210 to a buyer with zero feedback and an account that was opened the same day of the purchase. I was very nervous and suspicious and so I contacted ebay directly to get the scoop on this guy. I shared my concern with the customer support agent and she assured me that everything was legit. I still remained uneasy about the whole situation so I contacted the buyer directly to determine why he would have made such a large purchase on a new account. After exchanging a few emails I became more confident in the buyer being legit. It turns out he was just starting out on investing and wanted to get in the game. In the end I even suggested he check out this awesome site. Just in case there was an issue, I held out on providing feedback until I received positive feedback myself. Everything turned out well in the end but I was sweating bullets there for awhile.

Bottom line: it wouldn't hurt to just reach out and attempt to gather some intel.

Everyone has to get started at some point.

0 isn't the same as having negative feedback.

Another suggestion is to immediately open communications and get a "feel" for the buyer - ask about signature confirmation (just doing it impulsively can bite you in the a$$, I learned), confirm shipping options, double check to make sure they know the box condition if that applies to the situation, ask if they need special packaging considerations, etc.

If you are so inclined, just humbly explain the actual situation (say you are familiar with "being scammed" perhaps) and tell them that in the interest of protecting yourself, you are just curious why their first eBay purchase is such a rare, valuable item. Of course you should be confident that your tone and writing style will be easily received in a positive manner.

Lots of people will open right up and tell you what you need to know. Problem solved.

Some will not reply, or not reply usefully, whether they are just too busy or whatever. That's when I'd remain a bit nervous.

Very, VERY few are going to come up with complicated lies to really bamboozle you. Can't do anything about this until after the fact.

After reading some various nightmares here...I'm just so worried that this could be some scammer that created a new account and will later state it was NSAD. 

Any advice on how to prevent this?

Ultimately there is nothing you can do to prevent a true scammer on ebay. The bottom line is if you cannot afford to lose it then do not list it on ebay. Make sure to build in a margin for theft on every one of your ebay listings so you can afford to lose it. This is the only way to insure against SNAD and getting a different item mailed back to you. Ebay is a great tool IF you have a solid business plan. 

Having said that true scammers are few and far between for Lego product on ebay but they are certainly out there.

as long as you have been paid and you are shipping to a confirmed address you need to either cancel the transaction or ship to the buyer.

Add signature confirmation and added insurance if you are worried .

Video wont help with anything, how are you going to prove you didn't mess with the package after you turn off the cam?

as long as you have been paid and you are shipping to a confirmed address you need to either cancel the transaction or ship to the buyer.

Add signature confirmation and added insurance if you are worried .

Video wont help with anything, how are you going to prove you didn't mess with the package after you turn off the cam?

I say, get in a big box with the set you're sending and then keep the video going all the way until they open it when you can finally yell, "Thought you were going scam me, did you!? Think again!"

You need to ship, or accept the defect (and the risk of negative feedback) and cancel and refund.

Videotaping will do no good (it doesn't hold any water with eBay or PayPal), and unfortunately putting in writing qualifications like having zero or low feedback bidders contact you first rarely helps, either - it's not something eBay will support you on, most buyers don't read ;) , and if they buy anyway you are left with the same recourse as in my opening statement.

Ship to the address authorized by PayPal, and if the cost of the item is more than you can afford to absorb if things go wrong, add insurance.

As likely as not, this is a failure of Google maps - my husband was verifying the location of his new dermatologist and Google maps insisted that address was a Taco Bell. If it was, his dermatologist rents office space from them. :)

Edited to add: Meowingthings, I am interested in the wording of your letter -- would you post it here (or send me a PM if you'd rather not share with the world?)

• Like 1

This is the only way to insure against SNAD and getting a different item mailed back to you. 

If a buyer ships a different item back to you, there is still protection for the seller. I've had it happen twice over the past 10+ years and eBay took care of me both times. I was a PowerSeller at the time, so not sure if that mattered.

Main thing to keep in mind here is that insurance and signature confirmation is a must for high-dollar sets if you are not doing high volume.