So what do you do with your sets after you build it?

Amin80

Hey guys,

34 years old here, and just got back into building Lego sets after a long time, thankfully my wife is cool with it, though she doesn't really like to participate unless it is a small build.

Just wondering, what do other Afols do after they build their sets. Can't say I'm interested in playing with them, I think what I find the most attractive about this hobby is the zen like feeling you get when you're building, you just don't think of anything else and your mind feels at peace. Once I'm done, I love displaying the sets in my living room, especially the beautiful ones like the council of elrond and the unexpected gathering. Don't think I'll be displaying the towerof orthanc when I'm done though. Lol.

• Like 1

Display and dust them of from time to time. Sometimes you get a crazy idea in how you can augment the design of a set and you rebuild.

And you're absolutely right about Lego building making zen. I also believe it heightens certain of our skills.

Edited by Neosphinx

Display and dust them of from time to time. Sometimes you get a crazy idea in how you can augment the design of a set and you rebuild.

And you're absolutely right about Lego building making zen. I also believe it heightens certain of our skills.

I would love to know what kind of skills it builds, it is definitely something that's good for the brain, by allowing you to follow instructions and work in detail, but I wonder what other benefits there are for the brain.

I would love to know what kind of skills it builds, it is definitely something that's good for the brain, by allowing you to follow instructions and work in detail, but I wonder what other benefits there are for the brain.

The epiphanies of an unexpected build feed creativity. You're following directions, you've seen this before and it makes sense, then something unusual comes up, and you have a little 'aha' moment. The more of these you come across the more neurons connect in your brain. This has a tangential benefit to artists and musicians, I think, especially; I often abandon a build to go get my guitar.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davewager78

I often sell mine to buy more sets to build. For example, my 42009 mobile crane is likely to go to part fund either the new technic Volvo thing, or a unimog. Was going to sell my Tower Bridge to part fund Sydney Opera House, but i seem to have bought the latter without doing anything towards selling the former!

This year i have built then sold:

Mini cooper (actually sold that used for more than MRSP, which was a bit weird!)

Sopwith Camel

Grand Emporium (bought used, then just sold for more than new MRSP since alleged EOL)

Town Hall (same deal as GE above)

I'm a sucker for "built once by adult collector" used sets on ebay, as i can often make the same sale price as my purchase price back. I get to build what i want for the price of shipping + feebay fees

I think I enjoy building and buying more than i enjoy displaying sets. The only set that i could never get rid of is my T1 camper

Most sets I build get taken apart and added to my parts bins a few days after building.  Some are on permanent display like my R2, Unexpected Gathering, and pirate ships.

Like anything in life, you get better at lego building by doing.  Personally, I learn best by example so building sets helps me learn different building techniques that I can use when building my own models.  The advanced techniques like SNOT and the inclusion of technic in system sets weren't around when I was a kid, and were all new to me when I started building as an adult. 

In terms of general brain exercise, I see building lego the same as working through crosswords or brain teasers.  You're practicing spatial reasoning skills by translating the 2d instructions into a 3d model with the bricks.  I think those of us who have a talent for it take it for granted.  I've always been a fast Lego builder, and I also aced all the spatial portions of standardized tests growing up.  My brother on the other hand has a hard time building Lego, even today, and he always did poorly on those tests.  Some brains are just wired differently.

I'm looking forward to displaying my modular buildings and changing them up a little bit seasonally.  Some of the sets are especially gorgeous on display and deserve to be highlighted.  I will display them in my craft room/office where my other toys are displayed.  I enjoy the aesthetic variety of different types of collectable toys/figures in a space and have a playful, eclectic decorating scheme to compliment my collections.  At present, I don't display them anywhere else.

Edited by Marzipan

We have some seasonal sets that we build and display like Haunted House and now Santas Workshop as decorations.  Other kits are just piling up where ever I can find space which my wife is starting to get on my case about.  My youngest sons room is full of built kits on every flat surface we can find.  I have considered building display shelves in his room for more space.  I am going to have to disassemble some and store them in the box soon.  Starting with the Unimog.  :(  I can't seem to bring myself to selling my used kits.

I build to display all my sets.  I have an entire room dedicated to my many many sets that have been built over the last year for everyone to see.  It's crazy how fast these things take up room.  Mainly because I love the bigger sets, but damn, in a couple of more years as the kids move out, I'm going to have multiple rooms filled with displays of legos haha.