Scripting - Page Monitors, In-Stock Trackers, etc.

sjbdeebo2

42 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'm a nerd that likes that kind of stuff?  lol

This is a good example of what I like to do with the data:

I'm a huge data nerd / quant myself so I can respect that.  If I get some time  I will dig up some tutorials on Selenium that might be useful and if you want take a hack at a script that will help you out.  

• Like 1

I'm a huge data nerd / quant myself so I can respect that.  If I get some time  I will dig up some tutorials on Selenium that might be useful and if you want take a hack at a script that will help you out.  

Thanks. That’s really what I need to do is crack it open and start coding.

1 minute ago, Alpinemaps said:

Thanks. That’s really what I need to do is crack it open and start coding.

I see there are over 3000 submissions to track, are you watching all of them?  Basically do a daily snapshot of all the listings and tracking what the growth of them are?  Outside of being a nerd, I as well and trying to figure out what you get from seeing how is making big jumps in votes

I see there are over 3000 submissions to track, are you watching all of them?  Basically do a daily snapshot of all the listings and tracking what the growth of them are?  Outside of being a nerd, I as well and trying to figure out what you get from seeing how is making big jumps in votes

The ones over 6000 (or maybe 7500) are few - usually less than 20.

As for the ones that are growing quickly - you could poll the search page daily for anything that is between say 900 and 1100 submissions, and also less than 7 days since they were posted (that info is on the search page). So there’s no need to track 3000 submissions, but just those submissions that are around 1000 and less than 7 days old. It’s not often that something jumps like that but it happens. If I can’t do that, no biggie - it will hit the 7500 mark quick enough.

He’s keeping an eye on the competition.

Ha! I wish. I have no MOC talent.

Just looking to enhance what I already write and automate it so I’m not pulling numbers manually.

30 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

The ones over 6000 (or maybe 7500) are few - usually less than 20.

As for the ones that are growing quickly - you could poll the search page daily for anything that is between say 900 and 1100 submissions, and also less than 7 days since they were posted (that info is on the search page). So there’s no need to track 3000 submissions, but just those submissions that are around 1000 and less than 7 days old. It’s not often that something jumps like that but it happens. If I can’t do that, no biggie - it will hit the 7500 mark quick enough.

So I see a search string like this, is there something that I am missing that marks its to be 7 days or less?

https://ideas.lego.com/search/global_search/ideas?support_value=900&support_value=1100&idea_phase=idea_gathering_support&query=&sort=most_recent

4 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Lol. Probably more appropriate these days. I retired from map making around 10 years ago, and got completely out of the field (I was management) about 4 years ago.

I changed careers and I’m basically a web developer now.

This is all I hear when I think of someone with the nick Alpinemaps talk about pricing.

Capture.JPG

18 hours ago, Hardwired said:

You could conceivably do it in either language.  The main appeal of Selenium for me was that it has everything in one package (with the possible exception of a database, maybe) and so it was faster to deploy for me.  The problem I think you are going to run into is the reporting function you are looking for.  If you are checking 20+ items across multiple sites your scope might be a little too broad.  

Fair point, I'm probably being a bit too ambitious for my own good. I would be happy with it monitoring two items on one site for now.