What is the point to this?

I came across this listing on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-8085-Star-Wars-Freeco-Speeder-New-Sealed-Free-US-Shipping-Set-Retired-/111019548247?_trksid=p2054897.l4275 It is a Star Wars Freeco Speeder 8085 for $10,000. The description does not indicate that it was made from unobtainium or anything like that, I am just curious what the purpose of listing this would be. I realize there is a sucker born every minute but you would have to be long lost uncle from Nigeria stupid to fall for this. 

I came across this listing on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-8085-Star-Wars-Freeco-Speeder-New-Sealed-Free-US-Shipping-Set-Retired-/111019548247?_trksid=p2054897.l4275 It is a Star Wars Freeco Speeder 8085 for $10,000. The description does not indicate that it was made from unobtainium or anything like that, I am just curious what the purpose of listing this would be. I realize there is a sucker born every minute but you would have to be long lost uncle from Nigeria stupid to fall for this. 

It is a spot holder - Some sellers put a crazy price on the last one of an item, and then they will lower the price again, when they get more inventory.

• Like 1

When you have multiple quantities of an item listed under same listing, and  you sold all besides last one, and expecting to get more, you set the price to some astronomical value so that your listing does not get closed (if someone buys the last one). If listing gets closed, and you want to relist same item under buy it now, you would have to pay new insertion fee. 

Also, this is a way to set up "vacation mode" for sellers without stores

And yeah, if you had bunch of watchers and views and sales on original listing, you really want to prevent that listing from getting closed if you expect more inventory of same item. Those stats affect your "best match" position

Edited by No More Monkeys
  • Like 1