CL - Huge Lego Collection over 400 sets $18000

marcandre

Assuming all sets are complete and worth BP "used" prices, resale value is $11446.80

Paying that much wouldn't value the purchaser's time to sort, organize, etc.

Nothing really stands out as particularly valuable; just a lot of quantity.

I probably would offer around $4-5k to start, and would really dig in my heels once negotiation got to $7k.

But that is just me. And I certainly don't have the spare time on my hands to deal with 400 random sets like this.

Edit: Depending on the local market, I might start my offer even lower.

Edited by Spanky

In my experience if someone is starting that high, it isn't worth to try to haggle...they have no clue as to the real value and aren't likely to take somewhere in the neighborhood of 25% of their initial offer.

My guess is that they are trying to sell all the sets for their retail prices combined. That could explain it why the BP is around $11,000 while he wants to sell it for $18,000. There are a few good sets in there, but most of them seem to be small to medium sized sets.

In my experience if someone is starting that high, it isn't worth to try to haggle...they have no clue as to the real value and aren't likely to take somewhere in the neighborhood of 25% of their initial offer.

I think the seller's price will change when no one bites at that price, ever. Anyone that would throw down that much investment capital would- I hope- have a thorough understanding of the absurd price on this...

It is all about "positioning", making them see the value of the sets through your eyes. Point out that everything is used, everything is dusty, parts are missing here and there, you have no idea what is complete and what isn't, that most of the sets are low dollar and borderline worthless.  But still, I agree with you, when there is a perception gap this large the negotiation is hard.  I've been surprised at how much people will cave in though when the cash buyer standing in their living room says "sorry, I can't go any higher" and turns around to leave.

The seller's problem is that he has a fantasy that there is some buyer out there who actually wants this exact collection of LEGO for themselves and is willing to pay full value (or a premium) for the thrill of buying them all in one fell swoop.  The seller just isn't looking at it from the point of view of someone who intends to buy all this crap,sort it, organize it, keep a few for themselves, and sell the rest on eBay. That is a lot of work and whoever does it will want to profit for it.