Ebay spinning off Paypal

pickleboy

So while the shark and the crocodile fight in the rivers and oceans we minnows will hang out in our own little pond where we know the mini figures are real and the sets are sealed. Really can't wait to try out brick classifieds.

Isn't it just that they will be "operating as a separate company" (independent of ebay) but still the same honchos & board as before no?

As I read it, they will become two separate publicly traded companies each with their own financials.  Management at both companies will be separate and the current CEO and CFO will oversee the separation and then no longer have executive jobs at either company but may be board members that serve at both companies, but the boards will be separate and not identical board members.  So it is mostly separate but not completely void of past influence...

http://www.businessinsider.com/ebay-to-separate-paypal-and-ebay-2014-9

• 2 weeks later...

Stay with me here...

I am thinking this all is related...

Totally guessing...Ebay is TRYING to get acquired by Alibaba. In my conspiracy theory laden mind it all fits together perfectly. Charles Icanh knows Alibaba is going public a long time ago....along with the rest of us...he also knows that BABA will be infused with 20 plus billion dollars in cash with the intent to spend and expand in the US market. WHo would the perfect fit be to help Alibaba get a toehold in the US market....Ebay!!!  He also knows that BABA has Alipay and therefore looks at Paypal as useless.  So acting as an activist investor he presses Ebay management to spin off Payal (This is well documented.)    

So being the business man he is, he spins off the fastest most profitable portion of the company which all Ebay share holders will be compensated for...Paypal.  While at the same time making ebay more appealing to the target buyer, BABA.   (I am sure he will get a piece of paypal when it spins off.)   Now he has two assets, one growing quickly, one growing but not at the pace the market would expect.    Sell the one slower growing asset to a company who is looking to grab a toe hold in the American market...keep the other, Paypal, and ride the wave of grow.

Baba is happy they get a toe hold in our market, Ebay is happy, they are now part of one of the largest companies on the face of the planet, investors are happy b/c they get PAID...sellers get screwed.

This might also be one of the reasons ebay hasn't come down very hard on these chinese sellers, many of them are BABA sellers too and it would make for an easier transition if you already have some similar sellers.

All speculation of course, just sitting being a nerd... 

Edited by pickleboy
  • Like 1

I have never heard of Taobao but in the five mins research I just did, I am now an expert :)    You are certainly correct that this company is more similar to what they do than Ebay.   However, correct me if I am wrong but isn't Taobao another Chinese company?  If you wanted to open the uS, Ebay might be a better buy.  While ebay and alibaba are not quite the same, it wouldn't take to much to enable some of the same functionality on Ebay that exists on BABA.  Also, I believe this would give Chinese companies a way to sell direct to the American public, which sadly means that ebay will become inundated with Chinese knock offs. 

Not only would it open the US with a well known brand, but it would also open markets all over the world.    (Most of BABA's sales are from China)

Edited by pickleboy

Oh yeah, Taobao is Chinese, so eBay would provide the US foothold. I was more suggesting that Taobao should buy eBay, except Alibaba has the cash. I'm not even sure how Taobao generates money, as they do not charge fees (to average sellers, anyway).

Haha seems like I got the purpose of the websites all backwards....Opps!   You get my gist though  :)

• 8 months later...

Are there any more details out regarding how this will affect us as sellers? Or is the conversation and updates happening in a different thread?

shouldn't be anything major, still everything in place will be the same.  You are just agreeing in the ebay user agreement to allow them to do what they did before anyways through paypal.  

wouldn't expect much different in your daily operations