What's the appeal of sets like 6166 and other brick boxes?

Today I was in a mom and pop pharmacy and noticed a 6166 large brick box on the shelf for $29.99. It's retired, and seems to sell for 2x or 3x the retail price already. 400 pcs and one minifig...

Question is, this trend seems to happen with other retired brick boxes as well. Anyone understand what the appeal is on these? Is it just people who are doing a random search for Lego, and end up not shopping around? I can't figure out why these brick boxes appreciate so much after EOL when they just roll out new (and better) ones.

I _think_ the appeal is that it's hard to buy sets with just basic bricks so a lot of parents around my age (I'm 38) who might believe their kids can't build newer sets or need some of those "basic" blocks for creative play have never seen what kids can build with a simple bowl full of the "spares" Lego includes in sets. My childhood bricks were certainly more "basic" than what my kids' play bin looks like.

Question is, this trend seems to happen with other retired brick boxes as well. Anyone understand what the appeal is on these? Is it just people who are doing a random search for Lego, and end up not shopping around? I can't figure out why these brick boxes appreciate so much after EOL when they just roll out new (and better) ones.

I've been trying to figure out the equation to that myself and still no real answer comes to mind. I did find some rare pieces in a couple recently but hardly enough to warrant such selling prices but I figure if people are willing to pay then whatever.

I've been trying to figure out the equation to that myself and still no real answer comes to mind. I did find some rare pieces in a couple recently but hardly enough to warrant such selling prices but I figure if people are willing to pay then whatever.

Yeah, I am not going to try to figure it out. I bought one of them this morning, posted it soon after, it sold about 6 hours later for a good price. Went back and bought the other one on the way home. 

Based on the buyer address, I am just guessing rich grandma who searched for "Lego Bricks" and clicked buy.

I _think_ the appeal is that it's hard to buy sets with just basic bricks so a lot of parents around my age (I'm 38) who might believe their kids can't build newer sets or need some of those "basic" blocks for creative play have never seen what kids can build with a simple bowl full of the "spares" Lego includes in sets. My childhood bricks were certainly more "basic" than what my kids' play bin looks like.

I think this is part of it.  I look at my old collection for the 80's and it has a lot of basic bricks that you can do a lot with, along with the specialty pieces.  My kid's collection has a lot of small plates, studs, and a bunch of technic pieces.  I think it's just the switch from sets that contain pieces to build a model (or 3, using the suggestions on the box), to today where the builds contain a lot of play features that require more technic parts.  It frustrates my kids because they never feel like they have enough basic bricks, so I've supplemented them with a few pick a brick cups.

The buyers probably wealthier parents who would rather buy a brick bucket online than waste time going to the store to shop.

I think that's simply because those bricks are bigger than those in other sets.

It's easy to create a house, a car and other various big elements with such a box. And these bricks are also easier to manipulate for younger kids.

Oh, and of course, when a parent see a set (let's say a Friends or a City set), he certainly thinks his kid will be able to create this set with the instructions but also that he will not be able to do other stuff (or will not try to).

Edited by biniou