Anybody Buy Legos from Toys R Us online?

Colkurtz88

I bought a LOTR set today but I bought it online instead of in the store. The reason I bought it online is because in the store they put those stupid spider wraps around the box which dings it up. My question is has anybody ordered online from Toys R Us and we're ok with their packaging? Are the sets they send to you from a store or warehouse.If it was from a store than it probably was spider wrapped. I just want a nice clean box.

In my opinion TRU has the worst shipping practices out of all of the places that most of us here get our sets from. I know there are lot of forum topics here to browse, but look through them and you will see some horror stories other members (myself included) have had with TRU online. I personally do not buy anything from TRU online or in store because anymore because of their shipping practices and mark up from retail on almost everything they sell. To fair across the board every store has shipping issues from time to time but TRU has the most IMO.

I bought some Legos from TRU online back in October when they had a BOGO 50% off and they all arrived in great condition. That could be a fluke, because they weren't packed any better than Lego, Amazon or Walmart. But, I've also bought some at my local TRU store and when they use the spiders they put them on very loosely so there are not normally marks from the spiders. It is weird but they randomly put spiders on sets as half the Goblin King Battle sets had spiders and half didn't. In the six months I've gone there I've only seen one set that looked like it had spider damage. At my TRU I'm more likely to see damage from sets being put on shelves that clearly are too short for them!

I bought some Legos from TRU online back in October when they had a BOGO 50% off and they all arrived in great condition. That could be a fluke, because they weren't packed any better than Lego, Amazon or Walmart.

But, I've also bought some at my local TRU store and when they use the spiders they put them on very loosely so there are not normally marks from the spiders. It is weird but they randomly put spiders on sets as half the Goblin King Battle sets had spiders and half didn't. In the six months I've gone there I've only seen one set that looked like it had spider damage. At my TRU I'm more likely to see damage from sets being put on shelves that clearly are too short for them!

Interesting. Yeah I went to to Toys R Us's today and both of them had wraps on all their $100 + sets and 99% had dings on them. I have another store nearby and I will check them out tomorrow. Hopefully it's closer to your store's practice and unlike the other two.

I posted a forum topic on these dang wraps before........I can't stand when stores do that! It really messes up the boxes but the stores don't care because their mindset (which is probably right) is that kids are just gonna rip open the boxes and build the sets anyway so who cares what the boxes look like. I only buy from the store as oposed to online so I'm assured to get the box in pristine condition. But then again I am fairly lucky to have 3 LEGO stores within a 25 mile radius of my house.

I've ordered twice from TRU and both times my packages came in decent condition. I ordered some Mirkwood Elf polybags a couple of months back and they just came in a bubbled envelope. Second order was the Shuttle Expedition and it was just thrown into the shipping box with no protection. I was lucky that the box wasn't dinged at all.

I don't mind purchasing from their online store. They used to be really bad before, about 6-7 years ago. They would send toys without packing materials like bubbles or kraft paper. Those were the worst of times as I was buying collectible toys that I wanted in mint condition. They have since gotten better as their shipping is outsourced to a fulfillment center. It is much better ordering online as you know that the Lego sets probably have not been handled by other customers and/or scam artists. I can't tell you how many times I've bought from in store and the box came with missing minifigures. Although, the problem this year was that corporate had some Toys R US B&M stores fulfill online orders during Xmas. Some were really in bad condition or they messed up. Now, I either buy online or look on top stock for my legos. If its on top stock, I ask the employee to grab it and purchase those sets instead. Much better chance of getting the Lego set that is complete and undamaged.

It had always baffled me how places like TRU stay in business when they mark up 90% of their inventory, then one day the answer dawned on me.......its because people go there and pay those ridiculous prices. Mind boggling!

It's the grandparent buying syndrome. Especially around the holidays, if they stock it, grandparents will buy it. Most don't care to shop online, most don't shop around, they are in and out. To them, Toys R Us has the toys, they go there, and buy them.

• 3 weeks later...
I just made my first TRU online purchase a couple days ago. I did it because they had an item I wanted on sale and they were giving away a free Chima miniset with the dollar amount I spent which ended up covering the shipping cost. I haven't received it yet but hopefully the packaging will be decent. I guess I'll see?

It had always baffled me how places like TRU stay in business when they mark up 90% of their inventory, then one day the answer dawned on me.......its because people go there and pay those ridiculous prices. Mind boggling!

One thing to consider is that if there is toy you really want (whether you are kid or collector) but it is highly popular and thus sold out at Walmart and other places, it is likely Toys r Us might have it in stock. Why?

Because it is overpriced at Toys R Us.

So, for a really hot item, your choice can become:

1. Find at regular store

2. Buy at Toys R Us for a medium premium

3. Buy on Ebay for a huge premium