31012 - Family House

Albemarlegolf

just picked up two 31012 family houses today at TRU. "normal" retail is $70. TRU retail is $75. not too bad for a TRU markup. after bogo and an additional 20% off your total purchase coupon I had they came to $48.09/each after tax. that's a 35% discount off of the normal retail of $70. the set has over 700 pieces, so the price per brick ratio is solid. it also features a light up brick, and the design is pretty sweet with the front of the house having floor to ceiling windows which will show off the light up brick. I really like this set. my TRU only had three, so I could only get two at the good price because there wasn't anything else around the $75 price point to maximize the bogo sale with. if they had more in even quantities I would have bought them all. I think this set will do very well.

Guest eightbrick

Both are refreshingly different to the norms of their themes respectively, and will make wonderful investments once they retire. The coast guard boat is backed by the performance of the previous CG series which did above average, and the modern style of the house makes it a must have. I think both will do wonderfully, but for investment purposes, wait for a sale.

Both are refreshingly different to the norms of their themes respectively, and will make wonderful investments once they retire. The coast guard boat is backed by the performance of the previous CG series which did above average, and the modern style of the house makes it a must have. I think both will do wonderfully, but for investment purposes, wait for a sale.

i agree. Coast Guard sets do very well.

just picked up two 31012 family houses today at TRU. "normal" retail is $70. TRU retail is $75. not too bad for a TRU markup. after bogo and an additional 20% off your total purchase coupon I had they came to $48.09/each after tax. that's a 35% discount off of the normal retail of $70. the set has over 700 pieces, so the price per brick ratio is solid. it also features a light up brick, and the design is pretty sweet with the front of the house having floor to ceiling windows which will show off the light up brick. I really like this set. my TRU only had three, so I could only get two at the good price because there wasn't anything else around the $75 price point to maximize the bogo sale with. if they had more in even quantities I would have bought them all. I think this set will do very well.

Nice score, Terry. Creator houses have posted some impressive returns in the past.

Both sets are a little under the radar but very solid picks.  I think people tend to ignore or don't know where to start investing in City sets - there are a lot of them and they remake sets regularly.  That being said, look at the Coast Guard numbers from the last sub-theme they produced.  Some solid sets.  High play value, cool orange bricks, real floating boats (sometimes) - I wouldn't pass these up if I saw them on sale.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I tried to search the forum for a post on this topic but I couldn't find any.

I was wondering what some of the experts here do think about the set: LEGO 31012 Family House.

It's not too expensive and one of the smaller but still pretty LEGO Creator sets.

On the one side I have the feeling that it could perform quite okay after EOL but ont he other hand I'm not too sure about it. I don't think that it will be a big winner as it has to compete against modulars and other bigger sets but still it seems to be pretty nice and the price too is nice. If it gets to 80-100$ after EOL the gain would be alright I guess.

Normally I invest on bigger sets (like most people here seem to do...), so I really could need some good advice here, be it in favor of this set or against it.

Best regards!

Firstly... Welcome to the site Locutus001.

If you look at set 5771 it is doing very well. It is around 100 euro currently on ebay. It has a special feature being the doorbell. 31012 is quite nice also with the light brick. I have one myself and I built it to add it to my city. No city exists without some decent houses for the inhabitants to live in.

If you buy it at a nice discount I think you cannot go wrong. My 0.02. 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. Personally, I like the creator houses as investments. While they are not as large as the modulars, they do add a nice realistic touch to any city layout. In the past I have done very well with 4954 model town house, 5771 hillside house, 6754 family home , and the 4956 house. Lately, the 5891 apple tree house has started to pick up a little steam since it's becoming harder to find. I like 31012 very much because it has a nice look, and it features a light brick. If bought at a discount, the creator houses are a pretty safe investment, as long as you are willing to hold them for a few years.

Welcome! Like the others said, past creator house have done well if you hold them for a few years. Looking at the history of those sets, I would say that Creator houses are safe investments. If you can find some sets on discount, I would go for it. Just be prepared to wait for a few years at the least before you sell it.

Hi,

there are new creator shops (the bike shop &and cafe), it shows that these medium sized houses are popular and can be considered as a good way to have houses more affordable than the modulars to create a city.

That's why I think it will be still popular.

This 31012 set can be found online sometimes about 45

Personally, I like the creator houses as investments. While they are not as large as the modulars, they do add a nice realistic touch to any city layout.

Interesting thing with the Family House is it actually includes enough pieces of the right size to build a modular home. I was going to save this for another topic but what the heck. Check it out.

31012modular_01.jpg

I have found plenty of other alternates for the set impressive one way or another but I'll save those for later. ;)

• Like 6

I like this set and have one for myself. As others have said, the city theme provides plenty of fire stations and police departments but not a while lot of places where people can actually live, what you would obviously want when creating a large city layout.

So it's nice that these creator sets provide this. That said, for me they lack the "i just GOT to have this particular set" quality that the modulars do have.

If I would have missed the boat on this one, I would never pay double or triple retail price on ebay for it (which I have done with the green grocer).

Not quite but I'm getting there between the three Log Cabins, three Small Cottages, and four Seaside Houses under my belt. All except for two are rented out at the moment. I'm always trying to haggle for a few more properties to add in my portfolio.

Remember, diversity is key. Still working toward that beachside Malibu mansion?  :victory:

Remember, diversity is key. Still working toward that beachside Malibu mansion? :victory:

Well I did manage to gain a selection of realties all across Heartlake City like the Downtown Bakery, Pet Salon, Juice Bar, and so on. Unfortunately I missed the Beauty Shop opportunity by a mile. Darn it. Anyway, I've been pondering about the Heartlake Stables but not sure just how far in I should go. Ridiculously rare colors and good possibilities but seller is firm on price which makes considering a transaction difficult to swallow.

As for a Malibu Mansion, I already acquired that residence months back for a decent deal. I could have done better perhaps but not worth the risk of missing out entirely. I have a potential buyer lined up but he is a bit eccentric and has a tendency to blow things up. Some name like....Stark I think it was.

• Like 1

Well I did manage to gain a selection of realties all across Heartlake City like the Downtown Bakery, Pet Salon, Juice Bar, and so on. Unfortunately I missed the Beauty Shop opportunity by a mile. Darn it. Anyway, I've been pondering about the Heartlake Stables but not sure just how far in I should go. Ridiculously rare colors and good possibilities but seller is firm on price which makes considering a transaction difficult to swallow.

As for a Malibu Mansion, I already acquired that residence months back for a decent deal. I could have done better perhaps but not worth the risk of missing out entirely. I have a potential buyer lined up but he is a bit eccentric and has a tendency to blow things up. Some name like....Stark I think it was.

Definitely consider the stables, they make a fine addition to any luxury property. Tony Stark would have it no other way, though the horses he would likely switch for 'horsepower' instead. As far as blowing things ups, dangerous buyers are often the ones who can be talked into the highest prices if done so with enough flare. Best of luck in persuading him to buy the property, but at the same time leave it intact. If he still insist on blowing it up, make sure he does so only after purchasing and the papers have been signed. 

• Like 1

Anyway, I've been pondering about the Heartlake Stables but not sure just how far in I should go. Ridiculously rare colors and good possibilities but seller is firm on price which makes considering a transaction difficult to swallow.

How dreadfully embarrassing; I meant the Sunshine Ranch but instead typed out Heartlake Stables. :resent: It is true Heartlake Stables has plenty of pieces in rare colors though. I

• 4 weeks later...