Lego Technic 9396 Helicopter - Building Issue

choir

Hi Forum Members,

Greetings from Sydney Australia. I am new to this Forum (the time post a topic) as I have recently started my hobby in Lego.

I have a Lego Technic 9396 Helicopter set for a while and started building it yesterday. Unfortunately the round control turning knob does not allow me to activate the different functions of the helicopter. After reviewing the gear mechanism as compared to the instruction manuals. I noted that the gear (dark grey colour) on Page 67 of Book 1 does not engage the remaining gear mechanism and as a result, the turning knob does not control any of the functions.

As per the instructions, the centre of this gear is in round shape and the shaft is also in round shape. This does not make the gear turn because the gear and the shaft are not engaged.

I have checked the gear a few times and could not find other suitable gear as the shaft that the gear is placed on is a round one which is unlike the rest of shafts which are in cross shape. 

I am sure the instructions are correct but it juts does not make sense that the gear does not turn to engage with other gears. I would really appreciate someone can give me some advice on how to fix this issue. Thanks.

Kind regards 

Choir

Hi Forum Members,

Greetings from Sydney Australia. I am new to this Forum (the time post a topic) as I have recently started my hobby in Lego.

I have a Lego Technic 9396 Helicopter set for a while and started building it yesterday. Unfortunately the round control turning knob does not allow me to activate the different functions of the helicopter. After reviewing the gear mechanism as compared to the instruction manuals. I noted that the gear (dark grey colour) on Page 67 of Book 1 does not engage the remaining gear mechanism and as a result, the turning knob does not control any of the functions.

As per the instructions, the centre of this gear is in round shape and the shaft is also in round shape. This does not make the gear turn because the gear and the shaft are not engaged.

I have checked the gear a few times and could not find other suitable gear as the shaft that the gear is placed on is a round one which is unlike the rest of shafts which are in cross shape. 

I am sure the instructions are correct but it juts does not make sense that the gear does not turn to engage with other gears. I would really appreciate someone can give me some advice on how to fix this issue. Thanks.

Kind regards 

Choir

I think you got it wrong. Gear which you are describing is not intended to drive anything. Its just clucth gear for one side of gearbox. Complete mechanism is driven by middle gear (in light bluisgh gray), added in step 73 (page 18 of book 2). I hope you did not stop building at step you described, because at that stage nothing yet work.