Need a New Theme/"Theme" to Start Building...

Ranion

When I first got back into LEGO, I promised myself I'd stick to the Architecture series (the theme that got me back into LEGO) and a smattering of whatever I found interesting in Creator Expert and Lego CUUSOO/Ideas themes.

But...I've run out of stuff to build!  I'm thinking I need to "up it a notch" and start building UCS/Modulars to get my fix.  I need projects that don't take one afternoon or even a whole day to build.  I need a build that requires me to go to sleep before I awake to *possibly* finish it that day...Or the next.

So far I have the following:

1.  The whole Architecture series minus Trevi Fountain that my parents have "hinted" not so subtley to "not buy it...wait for prices to come down" or some nonsense which translates to "your birthday is in a month, we already bought it for you".  I have acquire the coveted Marina Bay Sands and I'm in the process of acquiring set 4000010 "LEGO House" which isn't even officially an Architecture set but it's close enough.  So I'm set here.

2.  From the Creator Expert line I Have the T1 VW Camper Van and the Mini Cooper.  Both were extremely fun to build and I love displaying them.  I'll be buying whatever they throw at us from this line/group of LEGO sets.

3.  My CUUSOO/Ideas holdings include The Ghostbusters Car, The Delorean Time-Machine and the Exo-Suit.  I will hopefully be acquiring a Hayabusa soon as well as a Mars Rover but the Shinkai just might be out of reach for me.  I won't be buying the Minecraft based sets as I just don't like them...At all.

If you can't already tell, I'm a "completionist" type of person and when I start a new Theme or "Theme" (a specific line or group of sets within a larger Theme) I really think hard about it before any commitment is to be made.

Another factor in my LEGO preferences are that I prefer sets more catered to adults; specifically, they usually lack minifigures.  I have nothing against minifigures, in fact I love putting them together.  But, the majority of sets I find myself attracted to are minifigure free.

So...Going Modulars would bring me into the world of minifigures and everything that entails.  Again, this isn't a bad thing.  The problem is the price of said modulars.  At $150+ a pop it's relatively expensive.  It also requires lots of space to display that at this very moment I don't have much of.  I would also have to consider not trying to acquire the really expensive modular who's name has escaped me at this moment.

My second group of LEGO I was considering was trains.  I wouldn't be trying to get them all, it would be a "theme" type of thing.  I would focus only on locomotives/train-cars based on "real-life" examples.  Like the Sante-Fe or Maersk.  the obvious hangup here is that it's more expensive than the modulars, but there are less of them to acquire.  But acquiring a Sante-Fe Locomotive and mail-car and passenger car (the same set with two different builds) would cost me quite a bit, something like 4-5 modulars I would think.  Same with the BNSF line.  I don't think I would be setting up a running track, just enough track to display them.  I would consider adding the Horizon Express to this "theme" since it has "advanced building techniques" involved and resembles real trains well enough.  I would forgo the City line trains that make use of large non-brick build parts and is more for running as a moving train.

Third option is going deeper into the Creator series.  Specifically: Maersk Triple-E, Taj-Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Sydney Opera House and the Tower Bridge (which I may acquire regardless of what direction I go).  These are also expensive, but you seem to get a lot more pieces for your money.  These sets more fit in with my Architecture interest.

To sum it up...

1.  Modulars because of building difficulty and they'll keep me building/occupied.

2.  Trains because I think they're so well crafted and true to their real-life likeness and my dad likes trains which has rubbed off on me a bit.

3.  Creator Expert to sort of continue in the Architecture direction I've been heading in.  Although to be honest it would be nice for a change...

Sorry for the god-awful wall of text...

Thoughts?

-Robert

• Like 1

Actually the Modulars are quite a good bang for your buck. Yes they are expensive sets, but per piece (or per hour of building fun) they are one of the best options out there. Probably only the creator sets are cheaper considering the amount of lego you get.

I agree with you on one respect though. Build one and you'll probably be hooked. :)

First off buy a GE before it retires. You will eventuly start getting modulars so you may as well grab that one now while you can still find it at retail. I would also pick up a Sopwith Camel for similar reasons, both are also great display pieces. Maersk Triple E is also a great build and looks fantastic on a shelf.

We should be trying to convince you into building a theme that is fully retired and that we have invested in heavily.  Something like Monster Fighters, SW UCS srts etc.  Modulars - the old ones at least.  It's the completionist collectors like yourself that drive secondary market prices. :)

In all seriousness, I think the Architecture line would be a great series to build.  Can't go wrong with the modulars as well.  The large Technic sets are also a good build challenge.

We should be trying to convince you into building a theme that is fully retired and that we have invested in heavily. Something like Monster Fighters, SW UCS srts etc. Modulars - the old ones at least. It's the completionist collectors like yourself that drive secondary market prices. :)

In all seriousness, I think the Architecture line would be a great series to build. Can't go wrong with the modulars as well. The large Technic sets are also a good build challenge.

Good idea, you know what are great sets to build? Prince of Persia! ;)

If you are looking for a more challenging build that will take a couple days to build at least, I would recommend getting some Technic sets, modulars, or some SW UCS sets. Some of them take a will take a while to build, but they are amazing when they are finished.

I think I'm going to grab a "GE" before it retires and if I decided against going with modulars I'll be able to flip-it easily.

My choices so far...

1. Grand Emporium

2. Maersk Triple-E

3. Sopwith Camel (once I read about how the string actually manipulates the flying surfaces on the wings, I was hooked)

4. Maersk Train

5. Maybe go into "Maersk" as my next "theme"?

I think I'm going to grab a "GE" before it retires and if I decided against going with modulars I'll be able to flip-it easily.

My choices so far...

1. Grand Emporium

2. Maersk Triple-E

3. Sopwith Camel (once I read about how the string actually manipulates the flying surfaces on the wings, I was hooked)

4. Maersk Train

5. Maybe go into "Maersk" as my next "theme"?

I think you're making a good choice with the Grand Emporium. Could retire any day so you want to pick up that one first and it is a great build. That said, the others are a little better still, IMO. The top two floors of the GE are largely the same and can feel a little repetitive. Still, I'd rank it 9/10.

If you are looking for good builds for a reasonable price, I wouldn't recommend the Maersk train. That one has already gone up in price significantly. I'd pick up the Horizon Express instead. Also a very nice train. Uses some interesting building techniques also.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker

Guest davewager78

Just to throw a few thoughts in:

If you like architecture, look at the "big" Eiffel tower and the Taj Mahal. Before someone shoots me down in flames at the 1000's for the latter, i am in the final stages of bricklinking mine, and it should come in at around

• 2 weeks later...

Just got...

1.  Maersk Triple-E

2.  Trevi Fountain

I think I'm going to buy a 3rd party sticker set for the container boxes on the ship.  They have different companies brand names for the shipping containers so the model looks a bit more realistic.  It also has stickers for the ends of the containers (where the doors would be).

Has anyone else done this?