An ebay what would you do?

njseale

So I have a situation I am actually unsure what to do.

I had a buyer inquire about an item asking some kind of dumb questions. Next day he sends me a message saying he wants to buy item, but can't because he has 2 strikes against him(I have my ebay set to block buyers with 2 or more unpaid transactions in a year.) He says he wants to pay today.

Buyer has 3 total feedbacks, but one is a "negative" positive claiming him as a deadbeat buyer. The item is kind of expensive, $800. 

Should I let him buy it or not. I am 50/50 at this point.

I like to believe in the overall goodness of mankind. And in your situation I would be tempted to give the guy a chance as maybe he has changed or been a victim of an ******* seller. But as others have stated the stakes are too high and one has to keep emotion out of business. Politely decline and move on.

Nope, no way.

And Jaylay, it's against eBay's rules to ask for payment through the mail, by check or money order, in most categories (including LEGO).

Accepted Payment Policies:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

It's going to be so awesome to tell my kids about the "good ole days" when you sent a check in the mail to a seller and they shipped the item to you.  All while not knowing at all where your payment was or where your package was, and then one day, BAM it just shows up in the mail.

• Like 1

It's going to be so awesome to tell my kids about the "good ole days" when you sent a check in the mail to a seller and they shipped the item to you.  All while not knowing at all where your payment was or where your package was, and then one day, BAM it just shows up in the mail.

Hey, I'm an eBay old-timer myself. It used to be fun to go to the mailbox and find all those envelopes with checks and money orders. Now it's just billz, billz, billz... ;)

• Like 1

Hey, I'm an eBay old-timer myself. It used to be fun to go to the mailbox and find all those envelopes with checks and money orders. Now it's just billz, billz, billz... ;)

Lol after 2 weeks of waiting for my first payments by personal checks to clear, I moved to accepting MO or cash only for my auctions. That was bold (or foolish) move back then :P

Lol after 2 weeks of waiting for my first payments by personal checks to clear, I moved to accepting MO or cash only for my auctions. That was bold (or foolish) move back then :P

It was just the times, man! ;) When I started on eBay at the end of 1997 it was a weird transition from old-timey mail order style business (with eBay being "the catalog") and took years to get to actual all-electronic transactions. Heck, when I started there were no PHOTOS for 99.9% of listings. And then it was pre-digital cameras, so we were all snapping polaroids of our stuff, or running down to the drug store to get rolls of film developed, which we'd then use the cutting edge technology of flat bed scanners to get into the listing.