Are there too many colors on Lego's palette?

TheOrcKing

50 Shades of Lego  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Are there too many colors available in Lego bricks?

• Yes
    • No

Between my own sorting of parts and something said on New Elementary, I wonder how people feel about the number of colors available in Lego bricks if there is too many or just enough. I believe there is at least over 20 different shades currently in use but I am not precisely sure.

On one side, it can seem too many since a person needs to have a good amount of any one color for building something decent with continuity in color scheme otherwise the thing will look bizarre. Not many sets include a ton of a single color at once. If anything their selection is usually rather diverse therefore you are almost forced to either purchase a bunch of the same set and/or many different ones or go the Bricklink/Pick-a-Brick wall way for those pieces required.

However on the other half of the equation, maybe there are just enough colors to choose from. Not everything in life is always the same exact color even if you were to compare a couple of things colored blue for example. One could be a darker or lighter shade than the other standing beside. Some shades complement one another even if they are just a few tones different.

There are other key points to both sides of the discussion I am sure and I do understand either direction but I personally feel as though the large variety in colors is a good thing even though the process of stockpiling each one can become tediously difficult. Yes, sorting out parts is a pain when certain shades are very close to one another but I am still pleased there even are those shades to begin with.

Besides can you imagine how dull designs could be when despite all the detail they end blending in with each other because they all used the same 6-8 colors over and over again because those are the only choices available? I mainly remember as a kid the palette was red, green, blue, yellow, black, gray, and white. Now the choice in colors is simply phenomenal. I know this much, I love sand green and medium blue. ;)

Nothing wrong with having to PAB/Bricklink the colors you want. It saves you from having to buy a bunch of parts you don't need and the range of colors gives you a great amount of versatility. I'm in the early stages of a street car MOC (San Francisco Style) and would much rather just buy exactly what I need rather than get a bunch of parts I don't by getting a bunch of sets.

I don't think that there will ever be too many colors in Lego sets. But one thing for sure, they should use less black pieces in sets. After sorting through three bulk lots, my black pieces pile is huge and it takes forever to find the right piece. I like the wide variety of colors that Lego pieces come in. it gives a good choice when someone wants to be creative and build a MOC. It makes them look more accurate.

But one thing for sure, they should use less black pieces in sets. After sorting through three bulk lots, my black pieces pile is huge and it takes forever to find the right piece.

That's the first thing I learned when I started sorting my collection since way back when, every single set includes at least a few pieces in black so you end up with a very large pile in no time quickly. The one good point about that though is you need not worry about running out of black when building. Haha.

I don't think that there will ever be too many colors in Lego sets. But one thing for sure, they should use less black pieces in sets. After sorting through three bulk lots, my black pieces pile is huge and it takes forever to find the right piece. I like the wide variety of colors that Lego pieces come in. it gives a good choice when someone wants to be creative and build a MOC. It makes them look more accurate.

That is one of the reasons I don't sort by color. Over time I've found that I can pull sets out of mixed bulk faster if I sort by piece. If all the black pieces are mixed together it's hard to find a 1x4 plate, but if all the 1x4 plates are together it's pretty easy to find the black one.

Too many greys/grays...

I know what you mean by that, however there are quite a few MoCers online who seem to incorporate all shades of greys/bleys into their projects and it works really well. For the casual builder/collector perhaps there are too many, but not in the case of the heavier builder. 

That's the first thing I learned when I started sorting my collection since way back when, every single set includes at least a few pieces in black so you end up with a very large pile in no time quickly. The one good point about that though is you need not worry about running out of black when building. Haha.

That is true. I have amounted a large pile of black pieces. It will be a very long while before I run out of those. Then again, I always seem to be missing the one type of black piece that I need when I'm building something.

Guest betsy805

As a used lot parter-outer I HATE trying to figure out if it's light gray or light bluish gray, brown or reddish brown, the astounding variety of pinks, etc.  But for building it's cool!

Too many greys/grays...

I don't even bother with the old grays any more. All the ones before Lego changed over to the bluish form are in their own container for safe keeping or whatnot. I also did the same with the few bricks I had in colors they don't use anymore essentially 'retired'.

That is one of the reasons I don't sort by color. Over time I've found that I can pull sets out of mixed bulk faster if I sort by piece. If all the black pieces are mixed together it's hard to find a 1x4 plate, but if all the 1x4 plates are together it's pretty easy to find the black one.

I have found that sorting by certain piece types work out a lot better like having all the masonry bricks together in one drawer no matter the color. Now on the other hand I do have certain unique colors together such as pearl gold or silver regardless of part type.

That is true. I have amounted a large pile of black pieces. It will be a very long while before I run out of those. Then again, I always seem to be missing the one type of black piece that I need when I'm building something.

Yup. One of these days I will figure out the best way of sorting black pieces but not today.

As long as "Maersk blue" is not produced there will not be enough colors. Releasing the Triple-E without it... I know that it had probably high production cost because of the 1 occasional set in each year, but come on, that was one of the reasons we liked Maersk sets, a  signature.