Light Gray and BLEY

Silburned

I'm tossing out a question.  Lately I have been rebuilding sets to sell and have been finding that seeing the difference of the old Light Gray and the new Light Blueish Gray is hard in the light I have.  In sunlight the difference is very apparent.  But I do most my building at night. 

I know that incandescent lights are not ideal but I have an LED light and sometimes the difference is very hard to discern.  The Dark Gray pieces stand out easily.

So what lights do you have in your Lego rooms? Any other tricks for sorting the old and new?

Thanks

Right next to my brick seperator I have two 2x1 bricks in both old grey and new grey. That way I can just compare them against the piece in question.

That is probably the best way to differentiate between old gray and new gray. It has worked for me many times in the past, and I rarely got the grays mixed up.

If you are looking for a lightbulb that simulates daylight look on the packaging for 6500k. If you go higher eg. 10,000k you'll get a bluer light. Lower than 6500k yields a more red/yellow spectrum.

There are LEDs that simulate "daylight" out there and easy to find florescents as well.

hope this helps.

• Like 1

Also, having something white (such as a simple piece of paper) to use as a background helps. Place the Legos on the paper and you should be able to see the difference.... Just don't put any white bricks on or you'll be disappointed about how yellow they already look even when they are new.

If you are looking for a lightbulb that simulates daylight look on the packaging for 6500k. If you go higher eg. 10,000k you'll get a bluer light. Lower than 6500k yields a more red/yellow spectrum.

There are LEDs that simulate "daylight" out there and easy to find florescents as well.

hope this helps.

6500 is going to seem very blue compared to most other lamps sources in your house, and that refers to color temp, not how accurately the light source represents the color.  CRI is generally the spec that determines how accurate colors are represented by a light source, fluoresecent is around 80 CRi, LED 80 to 90, but incandescent is very close to, if not 100 even though their color temp is in the 2700k range.

Right next to my brick seperator I have two 2x1 bricks in both old grey and new grey. That way I can just compare them against the piece in question.

I do this too. I also have browns, dark gray, blues, tans, trans green/yellow, etc. Pretty much anything that takes more than a second to discern.