Help Deciding on Next Build

TWO2SEVEN

I thought it might be helpful to get a thread going for indecisive people like me. :)  I would be open to others listing their "dilemmas" as well in order to avoid multiple threads. 

I ordered the Grand Emporium, but as I somewhat expected the order was cancelled due to it being over sold.  I had decided that I was going to spend about $150 on a set to build this month, but I am having trouble deciding what to go with.  The investment potential is at the bottom of my list, I am more looking for an enjoyable build and something that will look good on display. My hope is to build a city for my son as time goes on. Here are my ideas so far:

Fair Ground Mixer

Palace Cinema

Parisian Restaurant 

Creator Family House (Going with this one, I would have room left in my budget for another set or two)

Another modular (Pet shop, etc)

I appreciate any feedback on these sets, or suggestions on others.

Thanks BrickPickers! 

Parisian Restaurant, if investment doesn't matter to you. The model is possibly the best of the modulars, and the details in the set are fantastic! Another one I would go for is the Horizon Express. Doesn't have any power functions to move the train, but from what I've seen in reviews and videos, the building experience uses a whole bunch of different techniques and pieces. 

I would hold off and try to get the GE if you initially had your sights on that set.  We can still get it at retail here in Canada, higher price than US of course.  I'm sure there must be at least one US member that would consider a fair trade with you.  Spending $150-$200 now is probably the cheapest you'll get the GE if it does retire this year.  Later on you can pick up the other sets you listed for retail price, with nice promo or on discount. 

I'm actually slowly building the Petshop now with my son, love the details and having two modulars in one set really.  I think the Parisian Restaurant is top 3 modular for sure...but you have lots of time to pick that up. 

• Like 1

Parisian Restaurant, if investment doesn't matter to you. The model is possibly the best of the modulars, and the details in the set are fantastic! Another one I would go for is the Horizon Express. Doesn't have any power functions to move the train, but from what I've seen in reviews and videos, the building experience uses a whole bunch of different techniques and pieces. 

The restaurant is intriguing to me because of the details, as was the GE. 

fair ground mixer, I watched a review on that today and it looks awesome

It does look really cool and I like the idea of a few smaller builds along with the main build. 

I would hold off and try to get the GE if you initially had your sights on that set.  We can still get it at retail here in Canada, higher price than US of course.  I'm sure there must be at least one US member that would consider a fair trade with you.  Spending $150-$200 now is probably the cheapest you'll get the GE if it does retire this year.  Later on you can pick up the other sets you listed for retail price, with nice promo or on discount. 

I'm actually slowly building the Petshop now with my son, love the details and having two modulars in one set really.  I think the Parisian Restaurant is top 3 modular for sure...but you have lots of time to pick that up. 

I hadn't really considered the GE until I happened to see it in stock on LEGO Shop at Home.  I would like to have it, but right now I am wanting to build, not wait :)

I may take a closer look at the Petshop, 2 in 1 in a good selling point. 

All of the modulars are fun to build. There is something relaxing about a floor by floor build to me.... That said, if you're into fancy building techniques, they don't offer much there, but there are a few gems. The do however have great detail. Here are my thoughts on the current modulars..

- the Pet Shop being two buildings provides some nice detail in small spaces. Its not "fancy" but is a great display piece.

- the Town Hall has some nice detail on the front facade. The clock tower looks great. It is BIG relative to the others though.

- the Palace Cinema offers some different building with the sloped roof, but offers less building for your dollars being only two floors.

- the Grand Emporium offers a unique corner building experience but has some repetitiveness to the build.

(we also have the GG, CC, and FB .. sadly, the GG remains our favorite build both for display and building)

If you like vehicle/technic-like builds, the mixer would be cool. We haven't bought it yet but it's on our long term to-buy list.

We haven't built the Parisian Restaurant but I'd have to agree with the above that the detail looks excellent. Also the layout looks to be a new building experience for modulars... it's also on our to-buy list!

If you are looking for a great build experience, don't bother with the creator houses. While they are cool, they are simpler. The new ones looks to be a step above but it won't compare to building a modular or a larger set like the mixer.

Not sure if you're into Lego Movie sets or classic space, but I sure had fun building Benny's Spaceship. I'd recommend it to anyone for it's price point as a great build.

• Like 1

All of the modulars are fun to build. There is something relaxing about a floor by floor build to me.... That said, if you're into fancy building techniques, they don't offer much there, but there are a few gems. The do however have great detail. Here are my thoughts on the current modulars..

- the Pet Shop being two buildings provides some nice detail in small spaces. Its not "fancy" but is a great display piece.

- the Town Hall has some nice detail on the front facade. The clock tower looks great. It is BIG relative to the others though.

- the Palace Cinema offers some different building with the sloped roof, but offers less building for your dollars being only two floors.

- the Grand Emporium offers a unique corner building experience but has some repetitiveness to the build.

(we also have the GG, CC, and FB .. sadly, the GG remains our favorite build both for display and building)

If you like vehicle/technic-like builds, the mixer would be cool. We haven't bought it yet but it's on our long term to-buy list.

We haven't built the Parisian Restaurant but I'd have to agree with the above that the detail looks excellent. Also the layout looks to be a new building experience for modulars... it's also on our to-buy list!

If you are looking for a great build experience, don't bother with the creator houses. While they are cool, they are simpler. The new ones looks to be a step above but it won't compare to building a modular or a larger set like the mixer.

Not sure if you're into Lego Movie sets or classic space, but I sure had fun building Benny's Spaceship. I'd recommend it to anyone for it's price point as a great build.

That is a lot of good info. Thank you!

Have you asked to your son what he would like to see ? Or is he too young ?

I have asked him,but he is no help at all!

(He is five months old :) )

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 4

I would get the GE first before its sold out otherwise you will be paying more that $149 on the secondary market.  I have all the modulars except the first 2.  Built PR first and worked backwards.  Even though the earlier models are not as detailed, I still like the look of them and glad I bought them all.  Surprisingly, the Town Hall is better than i thought it would be as it's not discussed as much as the others.  I love the columns and detail of the building of the town hall.  Each modular is unique and a lot of fun to build.  

I also have the Horizon Express train with power functions in my lego city.  I love the train, that is the first thing I show off. Turn the lights on and around the track she goes!  Pretty cool..

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I've built all the set on the op list and hands down had the most fun with the Parisian Restaurant.  tons of little aspects that make it a joy when complete. but if its for a young boy I'ld go fairground mixer who doesn't love a big truck and a ton of minifigs

You know after building The Battle of Helm's Deep, I'm actually having difficulty trying to figure out what to build next. It's like it took so long to get there now that I am; I have no idea what to do next. :scratchhead: Some of the difficulty probably stems from having so many builds out on display from building everything Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit wise purchased that I am at the point where it needs to come down for other things. A whole bunch of piece sorting has been going on and most everything has been sorted but still a few oddities remain. One thing for certain, I have a ton of gray (light & dark). Haha.

I have some ideas being bricked out through LDD which is progressing albeit slowly. The shell for my Small Cottage combo-modular is there but the interior is sorely lacking save for a stovetop counter for grillin

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I would revive this thread rather than starting a new one.

From a retirement standpoint, should I try to get the Parisian Restaurant or the Palace Cinema first?

From a investing standpoint, neither. Both of those sets were released within the last two years. You best bet is to get one of the modulars that is going to retire somewhat soon, like the Grand Emporium or a Pet Shop.

Figured I would revive this thread rather than starting a new one.

From a retirement standpoint, should I try to get the Parisian Restaurant or the Palace Cinema first?

Thanks! 

Palace Cinema

The Parisian Restaurant is widely considered a better build...but I have to say, the Palace Cinema fits great on our Lego street. But like Martin said, these things are nowhere close to retiring so I'm assuming you are asking for building. :)

I just finished the Fairground Mixer last night! Although this is not a display piece, it is a great build. I have kids so they are loving it. I really hope they spin a series off this. It has me wanting the elusive carousel now though ouch$$$

I really like the Mixer.  At this point my display space is limted, but I hope to pick it up before it goes away.

From a investing standpoint, neither. Both of those sets were released within the last two years. You best bet is to get one of the modulars that is going to retire somewhat soon, like the Grand Emporium or a Pet Shop.

Thank you! I just picked up and built the GE last month.  For now the investment potential is not my focus.  I plan to keep the modulars for quite a while.  I appreciate the advice! :)

Palace Cinema

The Parisian Restaurant is widely considered a better build...but I have to say, the Palace Cinema fits great on our Lego street. But like Martin said, these things are nowhere close to retiring so I'm assuming you are asking for building. :)

Yes, looking for builds at this point.  I think maybe the Parisian would go better with my GE at this point since the Cinema is also a corner building.

Yes, looking for builds at this point.  I think maybe the Parisian would go better with my GE at this point since the Cinema is also a corner building.

This is how we dealt with having three corner buildings.. A pedestrian corridor! The Parisian Restaurant will go next to the Fire Brigade.

post-8090-0-86834900-1408463894_thumb.jp

(We're in the planning stages of moving our city to a dedicated space in the basement which will allow us to get even more creative with the layout. We'll probably do a two-sided city and modify the subway to have stops at each end of the city.)

• Like 6

This is how we dealt with having three corner buildings.. A pedestrian corridor! The Parisian Restaurant will go next to the Fire Brigade.

attachicon.gifCityStreet.jpeg

(We're in the planning stages of moving our city to a dedicated space in the basement which will allow us to get even more creative with the layout. We'll probably do a two-sided city and modify the subway to have stops at each end of the city.)

Great setup!  Maybe I'm just a little jaded by living in a big city for so long, but there needs to be at least one homeless man panhandling on that street. >_> 

I'm thinking about doing something similar.  I built the Cafe Corner recently and my 3 1/2 yr old daughter just loves it.  Maybe when both my kids are older they can help me with the display.

• Like 1

That looks great! I have some road plates, I was thinking of maybe putting the Cinema and GE on my desk with a road plate in the middle.

Thanks for the input! 

Just phenomenal!  Love the brickwork underneath.  Did you have to fill the insides of the street with Lego to support the modulars?

Excellent display. Jealous of that blue tram, missed out on that one. And the Cafe Corner of course.