I got snookered at TRU

sroster

Thanks for your advice!  Lego shop at home really has outstanding customer service.  I told them the story and they are shipping me all of the minifig parts even though this was purchased at toys r us.

That's good to hear. I imagine it's due to you buying it from an approved reseller. Wonder if things like this go against TRUs record. 

On a similar note I got a shipment of some now retired products from TRU and only available online and the box looked like it came out of the opening scene of Ace Ventura. This was shipped via USPS. All of the boxes inside were completely crushed. I should have taken pictures and posted them. Anyhow, that got returned to my local TRU.

• 3 months later...

Wow. That blows.  I'm thinking I should start tagging my inventory to better track where each item came from.  Most of my stuff is SAH or Target online or Walmart online, etc.  I tend to trust them as "untouched" but I know that's not always true.  I get a few things in store... regardless, it's hard to doubt a mint, sealed box.

It's only a matter of time before we're reading about some kid opening a set with razor blades and syringes mixed in with the bricks. Maybe then TLG will realize that it's a good idea to have more secure boxes.

I wish they would just glue the box flaps shut. No doubt about it then, you can't pull those apart with making it clear it was opened.

I wish they would just glue the box flaps shut. No doubt about it then, you can't pull those apart with making it clear it was opened.

Or better yet, use the punch tabs that we see on the smaller sets on every set. That way there is no doubt that the box is untampered with. The low-life's that take the time to weigh a bunch of garbage to put into the box will most certainly find a way to get past glued flaps.

Edited by terrymc4677
  • Like 1

A lot of items use tamper-proof seals, not sure why Lego hasn't adopted them.  Store really need to enact a policy that prohibits returns of opened Lego.  They do this with music, movies, and video games, if you break the seal no return for you.

the problem is for the people that buy the sets with what they thought were untampered seals and then they cannot return. 

There is another thread i had started a while ago pertaining to this same subject. so far i have only been dupped by walmart and kmart returns. one time 3 legos from the same purchase from kmart were tampered with. I hate to say its my fault for not checking close enough but I shouldnt even HAVE to check. when you find a lego at 50% off you get excited and sometimes the adrenaline clouds your vision. 

Won't help, it's very easy to use a sharp blade to open the flaps and then reglue.  Easier to make it look sealed than the tape Lego currently uses.

Or better yet, use the punch tabs that we see on the smaller sets on every set. That way there is no doubt that the box is untampered with. The low-life's that take the time to weigh a bunch of garbage to put into the box will most certainly find a way to get past glued flaps.

The punch tab boxes simply *are* glued flaps. And it's just as easy to open those and glue them back unnoticed. Glued flaps aren't going to solve anything.

Won't help, it's very easy to use a sharp blade to open the flaps and then reglue.  Easier to make it look sealed than the tape Lego currently uses.

The punch tab boxes simply *are* glued flaps. And it's just as easy to open those and glue them back unnoticed. Glued flaps aren't going to solve anything.

There are glues or epoxies you can use that cannot be simply cut and you end up almost destroying the box lid trying to get it open. Other companies use things like this. This is 2014, no reason to have two pieces of tape and call it 'sealed'.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, no matter what method Lego uses to seal the boxes thieves will probably find a way to get around it.  The main reason I don't like the tape is because they pop off easily on large sets like the SSD, or get stretched over time. 

• Like 1