Can anyone help me on a construction issue with the Laketown set?

I know this isn't an investing question, but I've scoured the internets and can't find the help I'm looking for.  My son and I were building the Hobbit Laketown set 79013 but on step 3 in the first book (building the boat) we can't get the boat piece depicted on the right side of the page to fit on the base rectangle piece due to the stack of mostly gray bricks in the middle.  They just don't fit up against it.  There's no room for the pieces to snap together.  Anyone else have this problem, or did we do something wrong?  I've build tons of sets in my life, and this is the first time I've been stumped.

Yeah, I've been noticing some non-standard building techniques working their way into regular sets.  For another example, there's the window in the Unexpected Gathering set.  It's mounted sideways and it's boxed in rather than attached to studs;  the whole assembly would've been against Lego rules a few years ago.

The Unexpected Gathering is one of my favorite sets ever for its size.  I don't have many sets on display in our home, but I do have that one with all thirteen dwarves, Bilbo and Gandalf.  I can't tell you how many positive comments I get from that set.  I think that one has serious long-term investment potential.  I'm just bummed I only bought the one back when it was way on sale.  Hoping to find one in a clearance rack some day.

Ha, I see how it is.  I don't send you a message on Ebay for a couple of days, and you track me down here.....

Yeah, I don't see a lot of the Hobbit sets posting huge gains in the future, but I think Unexpected Gathering would definitely be one to keep.  I have good feelings about Lake Town as well.

I still see UG's on clearance racks at Wal-mart every now and then.  I just visited a store that had 12 at $49 each, although those weren't investment worthy.  They had been transferred in from another stores in bundles of 3-  they had taken stacks of three, wrapped the stack in packing tape, then slapped the transfer sticker across the edge of the boxes.  I asked a store associate if I could buy them by the bundle for cheaper;  she said, "Naw, these aren't supposed to be taped," and started slicing the tape between the boxes.  She got a couple cut then dropped her box knife, which hit her right between the eyes (fortunately it was the butt end of the knife, not the ultra-sharp-piece-of-metal end).  Pretty classic Walmart, from start to finish.

• Like 1

Man, my Walmarts and Targets must stink.  I never really find any great sales on clearance or anything.  I have literally only ever seen Chima sets on clearance at my Walmart.

You have to check the ones in rural areas. The people in the hoity-toity neighborhoods can afford Legos at regular price, so there is never a need for clearance. 

Ha, I got the mental image of Amish children raising Lego barns. 

I also have luck clearance shopping down in the 'hood.  Lower median income means fewer Lego buyers, and the stores tend to make clearance cuts sooner and deeper, as they need that shelf space for something that could be making money.