Todd McFarlane - The Walking Dead building sets

Kriterian

Anyone know where these are for sale?I agree it would be great to own the first sets because they will take off.

You can get them on sale at TRU sometimes. If these ever go on clearance I will pick some up. It's Walking Dead so they could do ok post retirement.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw two of these box sets at Target the other day, the Governor's Room and Daryl with Chopper. Plus a small display box for the blind bags. While there was a shelf tag for each item, no price was printed and scanning them came up with nothing therefore I have not a clue how much they are supposed to be retailing for.

A couple weeks later and still nobody at Target has updated the shelf tag or scan price in the system for these yet more stock on the shelves. Jeeze, and I thought Walmart was bad in having only one decent price scanner in the entire store which seems to have broken down also some weeks ago and still no one has bothered to fix the damn thing.

I love TWD, and these are actually really nice looking sets.  As some have said, that the highly detailed pieces make them useless outside of the original model.  I would consider getting these anyways just because we are such big fans of the show.  But it's almost along the lines of, why not just make a model and call it good?  Why the building blocks?

As long as Robert Kirkman has a play in the show producing it and stuff I don't think it's going to go anywhere.  Here we are in season 5 I believe, and it's still going on as strong as the first season.  Between the comics and the show, it'll be going for many years to come.

Not to mention that it's been ordered for a 2 season companion series that shows the events that take place in LA.  It's just that good of a show right now.

I think these sets are great for what they are. I have no desire to own these myself but the overall concept is pretty damn cool to me. I mean seriously, who wouldn't want to recreate some of their favorite movie or tv show scenes by building it themselves, even if it cannot be modified. They are hyper realistic in detail and, unlike LEGO, would not cost hundreds of dollars to recreate a scene - a cartoonish looking scene at that. The concept was ripe for the market and I really hope other toy companies take notice. So many complain about the lack of diorama toys on the market. It's one of the only toy segments that really hasn't been explored and offered yet, until now. Who wouldn't want to walk down the toy isle and pick up a diorama. Better yet, you get the play factor when putting it together. How about a huge Ninja Turtles rooftop or sewer fight scene? Ghostbusters rooftop scene? The list and possibilities goes on and on.

McFarlane was an innovator with toy detail back in the late 90's. Now they are an innovator with these sets. Give credit where credit is due. They are not trying to compete with LEGO. They are just taking the LEGO concept to another level. And yes, some of these sets can be modified. Take the prison tower, fencing and prison cell blocks for instance. As the picture above shows, one can create massive scenes by combining these sets.

In my opinion, this first wave of sets is a good investment. Buy them on sale. They are modest and unique investments for a hugely popular show. McFarlane stated that they have other licenses to reveal later on this year. I for one cannot wait to see what they have up their sleeve. This could be my first chance to recreate some of my favorite scenes in hyper realistic style.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...