42022 - Hot Rod

Pseudoty

• 1 month later...

Anyone see this at TRU yet?  MSRP is $40 so can easily be had for less then $32.

I was thinking of adding one of those "pull back" motors but think I would need to remove the steering function.

I just saw this at LEGO Shop at Home and think it looks awesome. I know it's new so it's too early to pick up investment wise, but do you know if these Technic sets do pretty well eol?  I don't have any experience with Technic.  If so, I want to keep my eye on this Hot Rod.  It looks like it could be a winner. 

How long do Technic sets stick around for?  The typical 2 year cycle like most sets?

I just saw this at LEGO Shop at Home and think it looks awesome.

Well to be honest I don't like it, I think the huge motor hiding the pilot angle of view is dumb...

There are stickers with flames and a head skull, but what else ? Maybe the fact that 6 motors are included ? Not sure that it will add some great value (plus these can be found elsewhere).

It reminds me the Lego Racers theme (somehow)...

I know it's new so it's too early to pick up investment wise, but do you know if these Technic sets do pretty well eol?

Small sets ? No, but it can vary. Only sets with interesting parts (big wheels, caterpillar tracks...) may be interesting.

I mainly invest in sets with power functions because you can't get enough of power functions when you are a lego technic fan -which means you are an advanced builder-

And biggest sets because they are bad-asses, have big parts and -as always- power function.

Otherwise, sets that are compatible with power function (but don't include the motor): sets that are "power function ready" (ready... to receive one).

I have to insist, it's very important, so much that these motors are best sellers in my country on amazon (17th best seller in construction toys, including legos, playmobils...).

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/bestsellers/toys/363514031/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_t_1_2_last

Yeah, better than a lego city fire brigade. I can't say anything more.

But be careful, technic sets are mainly seeked after in europe, so choose your sets wisely... (after all, maybe you're right to look at that hotrod, as an US reseller ?)

How long do Technic sets stick around for?  The typical 2 year cycle like most sets?

Yes that's the great part for technic sets (in investment I mean), there are no surprises and you can easily have your eyes caught by retired sets still on shelves of a B&M shop :) because it's 2 years for all sets, except for the biggest one which stays for 3 years.

On spring/summer 2014 you can find sets from:

=>2014 + 2013 + the 2012 biggest set

On spring/summer 2015 you will find sets from:

=>2015 + 2014 + the 2013 biggest set

On spring/summer 2016 you will find sets from

=>2016 + 2015 + the 2014 biggest set

and so on...

So to finish this muddled post :), IMO you can look at that set but whatever you will invest in or not, you have up to the end of 2015 to search for deals. And before that, look on amazon to see if it's a good seller or not (and brickpicker stats of course, to see if it's seeked after or not).

• Like 2

Biniou's post includes all important facts! Technic is indeed hard to predict, even in Europe, but the bigger the better (investment wise, + power functions)... Sometimes you can score smaller sets on a great discount which provide nice returns after a couple of years (e.***. 8051 motorbike (2010), 8067 mobile crane (2011)).

Well to be honest I don't like it, I think the huge motor hiding the pilot angle of view is dumb...

There are stickers with flames and a head skull, but what else ? Maybe the fact that 6 motors are included ? Not sure that it will add some great value (plus these can be found elsewhere).

It reminds me the Lego Racers theme (somehow)...

Small sets ? No, but it can vary. Only sets with interesting parts (big wheels, caterpillar tracks...) may be interesting.

I mainly invest in sets with power functions because you can't get enough of power functions when you are a lego technic fan -which means you are an advanced builder-

And biggest sets because they are bad-asses, have big parts and -as always- power function.

Otherwise, sets that are compatible with power function (but don't include the motor): sets that are "power function ready" (ready... to receive one).

I have to insist, it's very important, so much that these motors are best sellers in my country on amazon (17th best seller in construction toys, including legos, playmobils...).

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/bestsellers/toys/363514031/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_t_1_2_last

Yeah, better than a lego city fire brigade. I can't say anything more.

But be careful, technic sets are mainly seeked after in europe, so choose your sets wisely... (after all, maybe you're right to look at that hotrod, as an US reseller ?)

Yes that's the great part for technic sets (in investment I mean), there are no surprises and you can easily have your eyes caught by retired sets still on shelves of a B&M shop :) because it's 2 years for all sets, except for the biggest one which stays for 3 years.

On spring/summer 2014 you can find sets from:

=>2014 + 2013 + the 2012 biggest set

On spring/summer 2015 you will find sets from:

=>2015 + 2014 + the 2013 biggest set

On spring/summer 2016 you will find sets from

=>2016 + 2015 + the 2014 biggest set

and so on...

So to finish this muddled post :), IMO you can look at that set but whatever you will invest in or not, you have up to the end of 2015 to search for deals. And before that, look on amazon to see if it's a good seller or not (and brickpicker stats of course, to see if it's seeked after or not).

Thank you for the detailed response.  I appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the Hot rod today @ Meijers. Also Desert Racer and Black Champion Racer. All look very cool. I was surprised to see these @ Meijers, along with some other new items Meijers usually doesn't carry.  Nothing on sale though.

I also saw those sets, not at Meijers, but at Walmart. I was really surprised to see them there. That was my first time seeing Technic sets at Walmart. Most likely a majority of the Walmarts throughout the country will be selling the smaller Technic sets.

I can only agree to the previous posters. Especially Biniou. He nailed it. Buy the flagships with the powerfunctions every once in a while they are on sale. Also in mom's and pop's shops you can make nice deals. But also offcourse on amazon. Their lifecycle indeed has been very predictable till now. I watch closely the 8110 Unimog and see it growing in value almost every day. Slowly but certainly. I love it! Hopefully Technic remains off of mainstream. Oops... I should delete this post than... haha 

I can only agree to the previous posters. Especially Biniou. He nailed it. Buy the flagships with the powerfunctions every once in a while they are on sale. Also in mom's and pop's shops you can make nice deals. But also offcourse on amazon. Their lifecycle indeed has been very predictable till now. I watch closely the 8110 Unimog and see it growing in value almost every day. Slowly but certainly. I love it! Hopefully Technic remains off of mainstream. Oops... I should delete this post than... haha 

I don't know why, but not a lot of people invest in Technic sets. There are a lot of factors that could influence it. For example, AFOLs are the majority of the Technic buyers. You don't see an eight year old kid asking for a Technic set. Another factor is the build. The builds are very difficult and I have not seen many kids build Technic sets without messing up somewhere. I have trouble building some of the larger Technic sets. The Technic sets will stay under the radar for a while. Their popularity could spear as a result of being sold in various other stores, but I don't see it happening for a while.