10662 - LEGO Creative Bucket

I finally found about five of these at Target and thought "Cool, I've been looking for these". It seems like a great deal of gaining 607 pieces for $30, doesn't it? ....That was until I took a good look at the list of what was included. :mda: Granted this is meant to be more of something you give to a child for free time creativity hence the name but honestly there doesn't seem to be a decent amount of each brick. If anything the selection is seriously jumbled up with a lack of concentration in any area.

For example, there is a hefty collection of blue bricks but it

Guest TabbyBoy

I've seen these for half price in tbe UK and on Amazon in the past. Not much interest I'm afraid unless you're keeping it.

You can get something similar for $15 on Black Friday.

How the heck are you hearing about Black Friday already?!

I personally think that the sets that are full of a bunch of miscellaneous pieces are very practical for people who build large models, rather than minifigure scale models, and it is a quick way to get a bunch of normal/basic bricks, so I understand why LEGO would produce a set with "boring" pieces. For the normal, creativity-lacking builder such as myself, I think it is a bit overwhelming. :P

How the heck are you hearing about Black Friday already?!

I personally think that the sets that are full of a bunch of miscellaneous pieces are very practical for people who build large models, rather than minifigure scale models, and it is a quick way to get a bunch of normal/basic bricks, so I understand why LEGO would produce a set with "boring" pieces. For the normal, creativity-lacking builder such as myself, I think it is a bit overwhelming. :P

Something similar to this is always on sale on Black Friday every year. I remember that when I was younger I would get one of these creative buckets and spend hours upon hours of building with them. Now, I have a large collection of Lego sets and I also invest in them. Who knew that giving a small kid a toy like this would turn into an expensive hobby and investment.

• Like 1

I remember last year people finding this item or something similar as part of a Black Friday special at Walmart or Target perhaps.

For the past two years there has been something similar to this, I would assume they do something similar again.  Yes they are basic, but it's nice to have random pieces like this, I do wish there was more variety.

Something similar to this is always on sale on Black Friday every year. I remember that when I was younger I would get one of these creative buckets and spend hours upon hours of building with them. Now, I have a large collection of Lego sets and I also invest in them. Who knew that giving a small kid a toy like this would turn into an expensive hobby and investment.

I remember last year people finding this item or something similar as part of a Black Friday special at Walmart or Target perhaps.

Thanks guys, for a second there, I thought retailers were releasing BF sales months in advance.

Well 6166 is now at $100...I'm not sure what characteristics make it so valuable, but if this set were to one day achieve the same price per brick, that would equate to $150. Of course, it may be a bit presumptuous to assume they'd follow the same growth pattern.

Well 6166 is now at $100...I'm not sure what characteristics make it so valuable, but if this set were to one day achieve the same price per brick, that would equate to $150. Of course, it may be a bit presumptuous to assume they'd follow the same growth pattern.

Showing up as $60 for me. I bet 20 BP'ers went out and cleared their local stores of Creative Buckets! :D

I wonder if part of the value behind something like this is due to few stores carrying them normally. I mean I have only just seen some at Target from out of nowhere and technically this was a 2013 release. Now they have been available at Shop-at-Home since last year but regular retailers may be a different thing entirely. I remember my Walmart had a Creative Tower or something around the end of 2012 I think.

I can't make sense of the thing either. It's just a plain bucket of parts with the best contestant for 'rare' piece would be the bright green 16x16 baseplate.

In regards to the price of 6166, I saw sometime ago that this set won some sort of creativity award maybe a year or two ago.  So that might be why they are still being gobbled up with such a high premium.  Also, if since it won some sort of award I wouldn't be surprised if a few magnet schools still had this on their list of things for parents to buy.

Look at 5508.

MSRP of $50, on sale for $35 at Amazon and Walmart last year (got mine in Feb 2013 for my kids). Now, the lowest price (one) on Amazon is $155 and $200 on eBay from a US seller. It's got a couple of minifigures so maybe it's more of a collectible set for completists.

Also, 5560, the pink version of 6166, is sold out and priced at 50% off at SAH ($15) so it's essentially retired. Target was selling these on sale for $20 at one point.

Look at 5508.

MSRP of $50, on sale for $35 at Amazon and Walmart last year (got mine in Feb 2013 for my kids). Now, the lowest price (one) on Amazon is $155 and $200 on eBay from a US seller. It's got a couple of minifigures so maybe it's more of a collectible set for completists.

Also, 5560, the pink version of 6166, is sold out and priced at 50% off at SAH ($15) so it's essentially retired. Target was selling these on sale for $20 at one point.

I am pretty sure 5560 pink box was on sale at Target for $13 something.  It was on sale at the same time as the infamous MHC blow out sales for $16.

• 4 months later...

Just happened to see 10662 on the Amazon landing page - for $67!  I was loading up on these from TRU during the 15% coupon + 10% CC days.  I noticed before that this tub is consistently in the Amazon top 20, so I guess I'm not that surprised.  I was going to just part them out, but I think I'll list a few.

Paid $29.99 - $4.50 - $2.55 = $22.94 (excl tax and TRU rewards).  Selling at $67 is almost 300% before fees.  Best QF for me so far this year.

• 2 months later...

This set has taken off in the last month. $100 on Amazon.  Lowest price + shipping is $85 on ebay.  Many selling recently for $80.

Might be time to dust off and list these while I start moving my 10664's.

I sold 10 or so during the holidays. I bought them for like $19.75 each and sold most for $70'ish.  These brick buckets are a wonder for sure.