Selling classic space sets in bulk vs separately

wadedr

Hello fellow brickheads!  My wife and I are approaching our 20th anniversary and we've come to the conclusion that kids are not in the cards for us.  Why would I reveal something so personal in my first post on this site?  Of course, it's because I'm about to sell off my precious collection that's doing nothing but taking up space.  I'm thinking of ripping off the band-aid quickly by selling each theme collection at once, and space is by far the majority of my collection (my brickfolio isn't done yet, I'm still adding).

All sets are used, most are 100% complete (of course I would detail which ones aren't), I have no original boxes, and some have no printed instructions (but I would include them on a thumbdrive).

Any advice for or against this tactic?  I realize might make a little less, but then I don't need to deal with shipping to a dozen or so different buyers either.  Thanks for any input,

wadedr

If the sets are not 100% complete with no instructions, putting the space lot as a bulk buy might be the way to go, all depends what you have, sets, condition, quality of figures and rare parts. Space buyers will tend to want everything you have. Remember, individual listing would mean lots of individual pics, listings and posting so bulk has its benefits. I would look at what bulk lots are going or on eBay, also individual sets. I always used to list seperately my space models, that I would clean, make as many pieces mint etc, sometimes smaller ones did not sell so well, maybe better to put small sets together and sell large one seperate. If you do a deal outside eBay of course you will save 10%...

Thanks glenbart, I like the idea of grouping the smaller sets together as I do have many of them.  Do you know what amazons cut is if I go through them?  Of course, it's all profit for me anyway as these were all gifts to me when I was younger.

I realize might make a little less, but then I don't need to deal with shipping to a dozen or so different buyers either.  Thanks for any input,

wadedr

This is the key to your question. If you don't want to take the time to sell individually then this is the way to go. You will always make more money selling individually via BIN with higher than average prices. I'm the guy that buys the bulk lots cheap and resells them to make profit. :sungum:

I collect classic space, so feel free to pm :). Always looking to add to my collection.

As for selling them, I would list the complete heavy hitters individually then smaller sets from the same themes together. Finally do the leftovers and incompletes in bulk lots. I beleive this would give you the best return for your time investment. First thing to do would to do inventory and log evrything on a spreadsheet. With my bulk lots off CL I give them a spreadsheet that lists set numbers, name, year, piece count, minifigs and BP value. Also a notes line where I record condition, completeness and other specific notes on the set.

This site puts the value of my collection at over $650 so far.  I in the process of cleaning/assembling/evaluating the sets so I can take a picture of all of it assembled together.  I know there are a few missing/broken pieces, but I also know I can make the larger more valuable sets whole.

I was thinking to start the bidding at $500 or $550.  Is that unreasonable?  I figure if I don't get any hits then I can entertain the option of selling individually.

@vincevaughn I just saw your post as I was typing this - thanks for the advice.  Also, can anyone tell me why my link in my first post doesn't work?  Is it not "my.brickpicker.com/user"?

What condition are these sets in?  If the bricks are heavily yellowed and scratched then you may be better selling them as a bulk lot at a discount.  I'm interested in individual sets if they are in good condition.  Please post a list when you have them inventoried.

Well Mathew that's the thing.  30 years ago, a younger me took much delight in staging emergency crash landings of Galaxy Explorer into Space Command Center & Beta-1 Command Base.  Smiling mini-figures be damned!  The sets I acquired just a few years later like Galaxy Commander and Robot Command Center didn't suffer such abuse.  Then, like the kid in Toy Story, it was off to the grown up world for me and all my legos were thrown in one big bag and left at my Ma's place for 20 or so years.

The short answer is, I haven't seen much yellowing to speak of, but certainly there are scratches on some of the older pieces.  I'm doing my best to consolidate good pieces to valuable sets, but my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Also, my brickfolio is open to public, I just don't know how to link to it.

I think eBay would be a better place to sell rather than amazon, but ie never sold anything on amazon, I believe the fees are higher over there and more requirements to satisfy.

The fees are higher on Amazon. You can list a set on Amazon for a higher price and after fees you would get the same amount as you would on eBay. I'm not sure which site get more visitors? I'm leaning toward Amazon, but I'm not 100% sure. The bad part about selling on Amazon is all the different requirements just to sell. Especially in the Christmas season.