Shipping to someone on Craigslist

iahawks550

I've had interest from someone for my SSD that I have listed on Craigslist. He wants me to ship it to Los Angeles. Is there any way to proceed without (most importantly) me getting ripped off in this transaction? I think it's legit, but surely don't want to risk $600.

If he were to use Paypal, once the money is there, is there anyway he can take it back out, or claim he didn't receive the product? Anything I need to be wary of?

I have one listed on my local Craig's as well. He sent me a text a few days ago and asked the same. I live in Green Bay, WI. I declined. Too risky in my opinion. Mine is a used set complete with box and instructions. I have it listed at $450. If he wants one so bad why not just buy one off of eBay?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

he can't reverse a payment if it's through ebay, if it's just through paypal. you're screwed

Exactly. That's why I declined. We sent a few text messages back and forth and seemed like a decent person through our conversation, but again, not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I've had interest from someone for my SSD that I have listed on Craigslist. He wants me to ship it to Los Angeles. Is there any way to proceed without (most importantly) me getting ripped off in this transaction? I think it's legit, but surely don't want to risk $600.

If he were to use Paypal, once the money is there, is there anyway he can take it back out, or claim he didn't receive the product? Anything I need to be wary of?

The risks are exactly the same as an ebay transaction because when your buyer pays on ebay they use paypal. If you ship to the paypal confirmed address and have delivery confirmation you are safe from an INR case. You are still open to a SNAD claim tho (just as you are on ebay). The safest way is to tell your buyer to gift the funds through paypal in which case the buyer has no recourse whatsoever. Cash in  the mail works as well :)

So, if he gifts money on PayPal, do I need to transfer it over quickly to my account? How would he be able to reverse it?

If he gifts it, as far as I know there is noway for him to get the money back. The buyer has zero protection and this is a way for the seller to scam the buyer.

• Like 1

So, if he gifts money on PayPal, do I need to transfer it over quickly to my account? How would he be able to reverse it?

You don't need to transfer it as there is no buyer protection for gift payments. 

Even if a buyer makes a merchandise payment (instead of a gift payment) and you transfer the funds paypal will still take your money directly from your bank account, credit card, or send you to collections if the buyer claims SNAD and you don't refund. It does not matter if they buy on ebay, craigslist or in person. If you take a paypal payment you are on the hook for 45 days (or 180 days if you sell to a UK buyer - scary).

If someone is going through every craigslist market ****** america vs. ebay, they aren't looking to save $20, they're looking to get a free set. If it was me I would text back asking how much he wanted for his SSD to make him think I was buying one off of him and confusing him a bit hehe.

• Like 1

Ok, so If I demand a gift payment through Paypal, I should be fine if he accepts? Are there any other possible scamming techniques I need to be aware of with this type of payment?

I've already learned some new things today. Thanks for all the advice.

Yes. If he gifts the money it is as good as cash in the mail.

From what I've gathered

Paypal gift transaction: Once the money is sent (since you aren't telling Paypal it's for Goods or Services), the money is yours. Paypal also may not even send the address of the "buyer" because this cuts down on their transaction fees. Chance of completely screwing the buyer

Paypal Goods or Services transaction:The money is sent, but the buyer is protected by Paypal. All they have to do is claim the item wasn't sent, and Paypal will reverse the transaction. Chance of totally screwing the seller.

Make an Ebay BIN and have them purchase. Only way to do it.

I understand your point, but if you look at it this way.......

I have $433 into the set. On Craigslist, I had no bites locally at $575. In order to clear relatively the same amount with shipping (He paid $600 for some of the shipping minus $42 in shipping costs) of $130......The BIN Ebay price would have had to be $640 and he would have to be on the hook for $42 shipping. So, he saves a bunch, and I make much more.

Unless I somehow get screwed on this deal. :sorry:

If I do, major learning experience.

He most definitely did leave himself wide open. But I was upfront about it and told him it didn't really matter to me if I sold it or not. But if he wanted it, a gift was the only way I was going to do it. He had also done some research and it came down to him trusting me more than anything. I informed him of my Ebay account and told him what my real job was, so I think he was assured I wasn't going to rip him off.....which I'm not.

Be aware that asking a buyer to send you money as a gift (personal payment) is in violation of PayPal's policies:

https://cms.paypal.com/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/BuyerProtComp_full&locale.x=en_US

Click down to "receiving money".

I understand the desire on a seller's part to protect themselves from chargeback, but by taking in money for sales as a "gift", a user is cheating PayPal out of their fees for the service they provide and mis-using the intent of the gift system.

Like speed limits and marriage vows and murder, people can now go forth and make their own decisions. ;)