Online Order Experiences with Exclusives?

TheBrickClique

Now that TRU has dropped many exclusive prices back to MSRP, I'm thinking of using some gift cards to purchase some -- any discount is better than none.

I have zero experience with TRU online order shipments.  I've seen the pics on this forum and wondered what are people's experiences with the larger sets -- pet shop, town hall, tower bridge, etc...?

If I have to return a number of sets to the store multiple times, the gas/time is going to nullify the savings.

Also, I know that they tend to fill orders from in-store stock when they can.  But I'm guessing most stores don't care the exclusives so they must come from a TRU.com warehouse.  Have the boxes come minty fresh? 

I picked up one GE at a store yesterday that was an online return.  The box had no holes or labels on it, and the seals were all intact, but it looks like it had been through a year's worth of shelf wear somewhere before.

Thanks!

If you buy the exact amount that would come in a case, for exclusives I think  its usually 2, they should ship in their original Lego case. Which means zero packaging materials, but hey at least you get the case...lol .. I picked up a few cases of fire brigades from TRU. They weren't in that bad of shape but were not mint either.  I would try it at least once to see how it goes. :thumbsup:

Just got my Ewok Village and my box is totally destroyed. The seals were broke and the bags spilled out into the shipping box.  Looks like they tried to fit it in a box that was too small.  Super disappointed.  Has anyone tried their online chat?

Jeeze, that's just horrible. I am so sorry to hear that.
  • Like 1

Yep, they tried to put the huge set that is around 19" high into a 18" box by trying to put it in sideways.  The result a busted open box.  I plan on building it anyway so I called tru and had the most pleasant talk with a customer service rep ever.  The conversation turned basically into a 20 min social conversation.  Lego fans everywhere :)

I have to actually admit that tru customer service has been top notch every time I had a problem.  I was able to get 25% off the set so I will end up paying around $160 for the set which is fine by me.

Yep, they tried to put the huge set that is around 19" high into a 18" box by trying to put it in sideways.  The result a busted open box.  I plan on building it anyway so I called tru and had the most pleasant talk with a customer service rep ever.  The conversation turned basically into a 20 min social conversation.  Lego fans everywhere :)

I have to actually admit that tru customer service has been top notch every time I had a problem.  I was able to get 25% off the set so I will end up paying around $160 for the set which is fine by me.

Good to hear the customer service talk went that way instead of, well, the opposite.

Not trying to be a smart ass, I'm genuinely interested, but if you plan on opening the set to build anyway, why do you care what condition it arrives in? When I go to buy an opener, I pick the box in the worst condition so the better boxes are saved for others. Do you guys save the empty boxes or do you just want to get money knocked off?

• Like 1

Not trying to be a smart ass, I'm genuinely interested, but if you plan on opening the set to build anyway, why do you care what condition it arrives in? When I go to buy an opener, I pick the box in the worst condition so the better boxes are saved for others. Do you guys save the empty boxes or do you just want to get money knocked off?

Im with you.

No offense to anyone at all, but seriously sometimes we (I say we because I have done it and then felt like an ass about it) go too far in trying to get a discount.

If you know how to sell, MINT means very little. To build? means nothing.

Almost every new set I build comes out of the Amazon Warehouse. I have gotten them smashed, repackaged, literally destroyed. I simply check that the contents are ok, move on.

I can understand selling, although i still think people are too worried about that (I just sold a beat up Hulk 6868 for 110$ last month), but building you just don't need to worry about it.

The more returns, discounts, etc. that happen on these sets, the more it hurts everyone else. Heck, I am worried to legitimately return a set to Amazon when its missing parts because of the ban-tales (every once in a while a amazon warehouse set is missing parts).

• Like 2

I don't have any sort of sales figures to back things up.  I certainly get that having a minty fresh box is going to attract more potential buyers down the line.  But, if I'm a buyer that's looking to build, then I'm much more concerned with the contents of the box being there, than the mint condition of the box.

Call me crazy, but when I drop $200 on a set, I want it to come in a condition that doesn't look like it has been stepped on.  Smaller cheaper sets, I will let slide more often.  I do keep all my boxes even if I open and build them. When I decide to disassemble the set, I throw them in big zip lock bags and put them back in their boxes.  I actually like displaying lego boxes too.

I know there is strong debate about the value of boxes but most agree they definitely add value to the sets.  Even if they are used or still sealed.  Just ask the toy hunter.  A older used set with a box in great shape will most likely sell for a higher price than one without the box or a damaged one.

I think there is a big difference from ordering sets from Amazon Warehouse.  Those sets you expect to not come in mint/brand new boxes.  Hence the reason the sets are already discounted.   I wouldn't worry about the returns, discounts etc hurting anyone.  There are much worse things that "lego sellers" do than getting discounts or returning damaged items.

Most if not all of these problems can be prevented by actually packaging the sets properly.  Step 1: Don't put a large set in a box it doesn't fit in. Step 2: put extra padding/protection in the box.  Problem solved. 

• Like 3

Not trying to be a smart ass, I'm genuinely interested, but if you plan on opening the set to build anyway, why do you care what condition it arrives in?

To build or not, it is expected from the people shipping your item or items of being able to properly package an order. It is part of their job that they are getting paid to do after all. I understand some people are alright with buying a used set since they just want the build experience and/or parts but even then no one should be forced to accept subpar service regardless of whatever end result the customer has in mind for the ordered product.

See, the issue is that when you order something and spend good money on it, you expect it to arrive in good condition, and when it doesn't, people have reason to get mad when they don't get what they had ordered. Just my 2 cents though. I like to keep my sets complete and that means as complete as possible, if my box is trashed I also get mad.