Your idea of the best introductory set

TheOrcKing

Let's say you wish to introduce someone to the grand world of Lego. What set would you pick as the best example to get this person going? Impressing him/her display wise can be one thing while deciding on something for them to build that keeps their interest piqued is another. Perhaps on that note this could be considered a two part question.

• What set makes the best display for showing off what Lego is to other people and potentially get them interested?
  • What set would you pick out as an interesting design for someone else to build that could leave them wanting more?

I'd go with the Winter Village Cottage. It's a great conversation piece. Most people don't feel embarrassed or awkward displaying Christmas decorations of any kind. This was the first "adult" set we displayed and visitors flocked to it. We also told people that it was a tradition for us, that is, to build a new winter set each year. People tend to really enjoy the idea of starting new traditions, especially if it involves the whole family.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Depends on their interest.  If they are into Minecraft then one of those sets.  Are they a Star Wars fan? - then any of the large UCS display models usually does the trick.  LotR fan - how about Orthanc?

People have also been pretty interested in my meager minifigure displays, something about minifigures that everyone seems to love.  Having a Lego Yoda on my keys has also been a good conversation starter.

Well, I think you should look for one with playability/interactiveness factored in, and at the same time is medium-large size, and captures LEGO building. I'd go for the 31026 Bike Shop & Cafe as a sort of entry to the modulars, or one of the 3-in-1 Creator sets, since the models are fairly decent sized, and accurate, yet they have a lot of room for creativity and different ways to explore the bricks, even when you are stuck with a set number of pieces. If the person isn't into any licenses that LEGO has going on right now, I'd probably stay away from the licensed sets, since they have more limitations set upon them, like accuracy and design.

• What set makes the best display for showing off what Lego is to other people and potentially get them interested?

The Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge (any large ship will do).  No matter how many other sets I have around, the pirate ships get the most stares.

• What set would you pick out as an interesting design for someone else to build that could leave them wanting more?

Something that isn't repetitive or overly complex - so that eliminates Technic.  I find that the 3:1 Creator sets have at least one fun build that anyone will enjoy.

Man such a tough question because it depends on the person.

One of my friends got in because I got him a Xwing.

Another friend I gave power lex.

I think if they are a star wars fan, you can't go wrong with the 7965 Falcon.

IF they like super heroes, I think the Batcave is the best one or maybe the quinjet set which is underrated.

For people into just normal stuff, I think a decent set for the money is the Sopwith Camel. Beautiful set at a really nice price.

R2 D2 if they are a Star Wars fan.  It was a fun build and it looks great.  I would also agree with jjsrt8 that the HH is an amazing set that has a lot of appeal, even to those who may be new to Lego.  

You can go ahead and call me a HH fanboy...

Depends. If they like one of the licensed themes I would recommend a medium sized set that has a good amount of playability, such as a X-Wing, a set with any type of Batmobile, Turtle Lair, ect.

If they don't care about any of those themes, I'ld recommend a set such the modulars, but since they do cost a great deal, I would recommend some of the creator sets, Family House, small cottage, and even more so the Bike shop and Caf

• Like 1

Depends. If they like one of the licensed themes I would recommend a medium sized set that has a good amount of playability, such as a X-Wing, a set with any type of Batmobile, Turtle Lair, ect.

If they don't care about any of those themes, I'ld recommend a set such the modulars, but since they do cost a great deal, I would recommend some of the creator sets, Family House, small cottage, and even more so the Bike shop and Caf

I'm thinking gender should also be taken into consideration:

Females: HH, never can have enough of these around.

Males: Who really cares about us, right? ..... That being said, based on this thread I would say the HH is the favorite for this category as well.

I would say the Sopwith Camel, Volkswagon T1 Camper, UCS X-wing, or R2-D2, depending on the person's interests.  These sets are more display models than toys, are highly detailed, complex while not being too hard to build, and they display well.

The Quinjet was the set that got my gf into Legos, but she likes the Avengers almost as much as I do.  The Simpson house would be a good one as well, got some of my coworkers into Lego when they saw me with the catalog that had it on the back, I believe two of them actually bought them and now everytime I need to pick up some pieces on bricklink, they have a laundry list for me to get them :derisive: .   Would definitely say it depends on the individual's interests.