What Lego set do you have buyers remorse on buying?

You coming down with a case of flipping fever??

Gotta look at the big picture homie. Only a few sales away from $70, and only 2-3 pages of listings on ebay (I cannot see backend amazon data but it's selling for $72). Is it $100 by Christmas? Probably not. But $70-80 is a fantastic return for only a year and a lot of what makes this set unique only gets more rare as time goes on. An extra bonus is price should continue to rise as people buy towers and look to complete the scene. There is still a lot going for this set in my opinion.

This is one of the few investment sets I own and I am very happy with it so far. People need to be realistic with their return expectations.

• Like 6

I must be missing something here, people complaining about orc forge and ssd? The Orc Forge is doing well, should easily be at $75 this christmas and the SSD is already auctioning up to over $600 just a month after it retired, that seems very solid to me! Give it another 18-24 months and it could easily be at $800. 

What about all those attack on weathertops that are selling for MSRP a full year after eol? I thought I made out well with those at $37.50 but I know there are piles that were bought for far less than that. I am pretty disappointed in Helm's Deep so far, it will most likely be ok in a year or two but I was hoping to see the price spike after EOL like we are used to seeing on so many other sets. 

No one is missing anything please allow me to clarify my not well though out comment. Many moons ago in these forums and a few others on the interwebs there was a lot of talk about this set. Many people though this set was going to shoot through the roof and from what I had gathered started stockpiling this set by the dozens. Fast forward to today and it's selling for 65ish from what I saw. What I was inferring in my post was that's those people are probably disappointed that it's not worth more right now. Maybe I was wrong and everyone invested in this set heavily is happy with where it's at but I still doubt that. So there ya go.......I'm still not sure who you think was making comments about the SSD though, it certainly wasn't me. Hope this clarifies a little.

At the moment, just my ninjago stuff. I got it all at a decent discount and maybe it will rise especially with a movie coming, but with it all still being available still with a perpetual discount on amazon makes me cringe.

I am sure by X-mas a lot of sets people are down about right now will start to shoot up.

99 Pharoahs Quest Battle pack on clearance @ 3.98/ pack at Lego.

Still have 83 of them...money maker sure...definitely a slow mover.

Those were bought closer to the beginning of my Lego speculation adventure.

With new knowledge and much different strategy I would not have bought them today.

I bought a couple Batcaves last Christmas at retail.  One was a gift for my son, the other was for investment.  I hate that I paid retail for both even through one was a gift and got a ton of use out of it.

I picked up two LR Silver Mine Shootouts at Walmart clearance.  If I could go back, might only pick up one.

I got two VCs from TRU, didn't get as good of a discount as I should have, but want to make sure I had one to build.

Barrel Escapes from TRU, even though these only averaged $20 each and still need to be retired, this money was shot straight to hell.

I regret not picking up the last Hulk Breakout on a shelf a couple days after it was retired, even at retail.

You bought 99 from LEGO Shop at Home? Was this before the ban hammer began to fall on resellers?

Yeah, there was no buying restriction on that item.  Heck just last summer you could buy nearly unlimited amounts of some exclusives.

10214 was that way for a while among others.  This is before NO discounts on exclusives was implemented.

Well... for me it would have to be the Malevolence. Unless you do a mod with your own 1x2 plate the front always falls off, it gets dusty and dirty in hard to reach places, and I'm not too much of a Clone Wars fan but had to get one because of how iconic the ship was in the show. I don't hate the set, but it is my least favorite set I have ever bought. The color scheme is great and love that engine detail!

I now own 7 Lone Ranger Constitution Trains. TRU clearance but now that I'm staring at them I don't know if this was wise...

TRU price isn't bad but a lot of BPers got them at $49 from Walmart. They are becoming scarce so it should start to slowly climb.

It's a beautiful train handicapped by a lackluster theme and yellow box.

But it's a train.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Yeah I think they were loved a little more than they should be, but I think you will still see decent growth.

These are a great source of train parts for moc's but yes they were majorly discounted first at $10.99 WM, then $49.99 WM, and now the most expensive one $60.73 TRU Thursday or less with 20% off giftcard mall cards.

• 2 years later...
Guest TabbyBoy

May I mention inverse Buyer's Remorse?

Remember the load of 9515 Malevolence that I bought from Asda 3yrs ago? Since I couldn't find a sucker to take them off my hands for my buy in price of £59.98 each (-40%), I've just put them on eBay and happily now clearing £40 profit each after fees and postage. It goes to show that you sometimes have to bite the bullet and..... just wait!

Somehow, I still think I'll be stuck with a load of Exo Suits that I bought at -50% as will most of us. It's actually a nice set (albiet fragile) so why is it so universally hated? I suppose every theme has its turkeys.

19 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

May I mention inverse Buyer's Remorse?

Remember the load of 9515 Malevolence that I bought from Asda 3yrs ago? Since I couldn't find a sucker to take them off my hands for my buy in price of £59.98 each (-40%), I've just put them on eBay and happily now clearing £40 profit each after fees and postage. It goes to show that you sometimes have to bite the bullet and..... just wait!

Somehow, I still think I'll be stuck with a load of Exo Suits that I bought at -50% as will most of us. It's actually a nice set (albiet fragile) so why is it so universally hated? I suppose every theme has its turkeys.

Should have wacked some on brick classifieds to see if anyone would bite.  If there was some reasonable discount to RRP that got you out of the deal I'd have taken one off your hands for the personal collection :)

• 5 months later...

I started with Lego buying and became an active member on this forum in September 2015, so I now have a full year (and a few extra months) to look back at my purchases over this year. And like every one new to this trade I've made purchases that in hindsight now I think were rather dumb. Reasons were the lack of experience with price-elasticity of LEGO sets that are still in production and underestimating the potential for discounts on sets. Oh well, we learn by making mistakes, don't we?

So here's my list of shame:

• 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van: paid €98 instead of €100 (RRP) as a total Lego buying noob. Used for my own collection.
  • 10242 Mini Cooper Mk VII: paid €95 instead of €100 (RRP) as a total Lego buying noob. Used for my own collection.
  • 10248 Ferrari F40: paid €90 (RRP!) as a total Lego buying noob. Used for my own collection.
  • 75105 Millennium Falcon: paid €136 late 2015 which at the time I naievely thought was a decent discount. How much I still had to learn... :P 
  • 75105 Millennium Falcon: paid €121 mid 2016 which at the time I thought was a good discount. Was still learning at that time.
  • 10246 Detective's Office: bought on eBay Germany for €155 including shipping because it was priced in GBP and I miscalculated my maximum bid. Stupid mistake! :( 

And a regret I have is:

To have underestimated how much the AT-AT and ISD would become in demand after their retirement at the end of 2015. Just a few months before their retirement I saw them everywhere discounted to around €100 a box, and in my lack of experience thought: everyone and their uncle even remotely interested in a LEGO AT-AT will surely have bought one now at this discounted price. Why would anyone still want them with a large markup a year from now? As we all know history taught me how wrong I was in thinking that way. Do not underestimate the love of Star Wars fans for iconic LEGO Star Wars vehicles! I should have bought more of them...

Edited by Haay