Questions, Concerns, and Comments about the "Retiring Soon" Tag

In a different discussion, some of us are sharing our predictions on the future of the Monster Fighters theme. I am of the thought that Monster Fighters is on its way out. But there is one little thing that stands in my way from being sold on that idea...the new "Retiring Soon" tag that LEGO started slapping on endangered sets on the LEGO Store website. For instance, we can now all believe with some certainty that the window to get Diagon Alley is closing. It was recently labelled as "Retiring Soon." So here is my question...are they going to put that tag on all sets when the time comes? Or just whenever they feel like it? Because as of right now, there is no indication of Monster Fighters "Retiring Soon." A lot of sets seemed to permanently leave retail shelves after they sold out at Christmas. You can tell by the shelf arrangements and price stickers/cards (whatever they're called) that they have no intentions of restocking them. With that thought, it looks like Monster Fighters, most DC Super Heroes sets, and the first wave of LOTR sets are all going to become scarce. But are they "Retiring Soon?" It seems unlikely that LOTR would retire only after 8 months of being on the shelves. What do you guys think???

It feels silly to follow up on my own thoughts, but I just realized some information that might be helpful to post for anyone who is reading this and wondering the same things I'm wondering... I ordered a Batcave from Target.com on Black Friday for a total of under $50. I was thrilled to get it at such a steal. Then time went on and on, and finally I got an email saying they were out of stock and weren't expecting more any time soon because their suppliers were out of them. Then two weeks later, I got another email saying they were cancelling my order. Sorry pal...no cheap Batcave for you. I thought that was kind of a crappy deal to just cancel it and not offer me some other comparable deal, but life isn't always fair. So here was my revelation...I was looking at LEGO.com just now, and almost all of the 2011/2012 Batman sets are "Out of Stock, will ship in 30 days" or something close to that. If LEGO doesn't have them, that means Amazon, Target, etc. doesn't have them (and can't get them) either. Why would Target leave a bunch of shelf space open for 30 days with nothing on it? That would be a major retail no-no. It only makes sense that they are moving on without these sets. They are stocking what they can get their hands on. This poses and interesting question then...when the Batcave, Batwing Battle Over Gotham, and Two-Face Chase are all back in stock, does Target make room for them on the shelf again??? Hmm......

Why would Target leave a bunch of shelf space open for 30 days with nothing on it? That would be a major retail no-no.

I would think so, but there have been times where I've seen a spot on the shelf for something specific and it was empty for months! "The Zombies" set made sense since as soon as it came in it sold out. The Walmart equivalent to that set was "Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush". There was a space for it and it was in stock once, but then it was never there again until around November! I kept looking online to see if my Walmart ever got it back in stock and it never did. It's like they had it once and then they never bothered to restock. (Until late November cause of Black Friday of course.) There have been a few cases at Target as well with spots being empty for what felt like forever.

One thing that got me big time this year is how it took until the middle of this year to get some sets from last year!

Like the "Bank & Money Transfer" (3661) or "Naboo Starfighter" (7877)

So here is my question...are they going to put that tag on all sets when the time comes? Or just whenever they feel like it?

A bit of both, I think. I'm leaning towards 'when they feel like it'. They have just one of this year's only RACER sets, "Crazy Demon", listed with the "Retiring Soon" label, and there's four of them. So what the heck's wrong with the other four? I can only assume that since one in the series is "Retiring Soon" that the rest will follow. I suppose it's just inevitable. I ended up buying all of the HEROICA sets and the "Minotaurus" game just in time too, considering they were added to the "Retiring Soon" list the moment right after I bought them. Just had a feeling they would be discontinued soon....