10242 - MINI Cooper MK VII

TheDarkness

Guest TabbyBoy

Yep, us Brits do it our way. We wanna drive in miles per hour, we'll ask for a pint rather than 568ml and smoke an ounce because it's more manly.

The British gallon is also man-sized where it's 4.54L in the UK but, only 3.8L in the US.

Guest TabbyBoy

The Cooper rims really make this set. Even though I think the roof is a little off I think when you look at the Mini next to the Camper the mini looks more striking.

I agree, they've done a cracking job and I'm in for a plural amount of these.  I know it's not a "manly" thing to say but, I think the picnic stuff is a nice dainty touch that may appeal to a new fan base.  I'm going to build the first one I get and then maybe MOC the second into a Clubman.

For all you "modern Mini" fans, the current Mini is a BMW which is as common as muck and driven by hairdressers and babysitters.  A real man has the real McCoy. ;-)

I think that this is going to be huge, as far as sales go.  I'd rather pay $99.99 for this than $500+ dollars for the Bug.  Hey, even if they were both priced at $99.99 right now, I'd still get this.  The Bug just has way to many studs showing, and it does not look nearly as smooth as this MINI Cooper.

Guest TabbyBoy

It is an exclusive. Set is well done and priced fairly in my opinion. I love the picnic basket and wine bottles/cheese .

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Let's hope it is 100% exclusive and not sold by every Tom, **** & Harry like TRU, Walmart, Smyths, JL, etc.  Exclusive to my mind means from Lego direct only.  If it is truly exclusive, the sky's the limit on future values.  I also adore the picnic stuff. 

I can totally see Mia sitting there on her own picnic blanket with her croissant, sandwich, and bottle of orange soda.

It shows an attention to detail that I want in LEGO sets. I love those cars and if I had to ever drive a small car, I would drive a MINI.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I can totally see Mia sitting there on her own picnic blanket with her croissant, sandwich, and bottle of orange soda.

brickpicker_set_30108_1.jpg

Tbh I think she'd prefer the smooth picnic blanket that comes with the Mini. Besides developing a bout of Piles from her bobbly blanket, she'd most likely end up getting fat from that massive sandwich she's made herself.
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

It's not authentic.  I doesn't come with the pan to catch the dripping oil.

Feel free to display yours in a pool of used engine oil then.  I remember the old Skoda jokes and I'm now the proud driver of a fantastic Superb Estate.  I like the new Mini but, it ain't 100% British anymore.

Love the look of this set...great detail and better than I expected.  Vastly better than the Bug IMO.  Tempted to pick up more VW Camper now since when new Lego fans buy the Mini they would likely want the Van too.  I hope Lego releases a mini build for the Mini...mini Mini I guess.  Perhaps a good opportunity for MOC'ers to design their own mini build.   

Haha... They are also still using MPH.

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker

Yes, so old fashioned. I'm glad mine is programmeable. The British don't like it cos they think its European. Which must mean every country except the US, Burma and Libreria are part of Europe. And they forget, the metric system was originally a British idea. The imperial system is Italian, well Roman, which I think when I last looked at a map was in Europe. Go Figure... :P

Like you'll ever see me use km/**** on a dashboard and oh yeah, the metric system is frelling confusing!!!! :frantics:

Terribly confusing dividing by ten. But less confusing dividing by 3, 7, 12, 14, 16, 112, 1760, 5280. Sure I have missed some. :question:  :question:

The Cooper rims really make this set. Even though I think the roof is a little off I think when you look at the Mini next to the Camper the mini looks more striking.

Interesting they are using the Minilite wheels. I assume these and the wheel mud guards are unique-to-this set pieces.

I agree, they've done a cracking job and I'm in for a plural amount of these.  I know it's not a "manly" thing to say but, I think the picnic stuff is a nice dainty touch that may appeal to a new fan base.  I'm going to build the first one I get and then maybe MOC the second into a Clubman.

For all you "modern Mini" fans, the current Mini is a BMW which is as common as muck and driven by hairdressers and babysitters.  A real man has the real McCoy. ;-)

I have never dressed anyone's hair nor baby sat a brat.

It's not authentic.  I doesn't come with the pan to catch the dripping oil.

I bet it won't start on a cold morning either ;P

1234.56m = 1km, 234m, and 56cm

3456.78 yards = how many miles, yards, feet and inches?

If you do some woodwork, you'd often need to add or subtract lengths.

Would you prefer this:

36.8cm + 84.4cm = 121.2cm = 1m,21cm,2mm

or this:

3'6"1/4 + 4'7"3/16 = ??'??"??/??

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

1234.56m = 1km, 234m, and 56cm

3456.78 yards = how many miles, yards, feet and inches?

If you do some woodwork, you'd often need to add or subtract lengths.

Would you prefer this:

36.8cm + 84.4cm = 121.2cm = 1m,21cm,2mm

or this:

3'6"1/4 + 4'7"3/16 = ??'??"??/??

What's 10'

Love the look of this set...great detail and better than I expected.  Vastly better than the Bug IMO.  Tempted to pick up more VW Camper now since when new Lego fans buy the Mini they would likely want the Van too.  I hope Lego releases a mini build for the Mini...mini Mini I guess.  Perhaps a good opportunity for MOC'ers to design their own mini build.   

Yes, that was why I was wondering if the set had any unique pieces. Because it would be great if we could see ones in different colours.

And of course there was Mini Estate (that 's Wagon) from the 1960s. And the original Clubman from the 1970s.

Being a pedant though... :) The Mini mkI from the early 1960s had exposed door hinges. These went in the mkII model onwards - which was from memory the mid 60s.

This model is an "R" reg. (to those outside of the UK, meaning the registration plate started with an R. You can determine the year of registration from this letter), meaning it is a 1997/1998 model.

What's 10'

Guest TabbyBoy

Yes, that was why I was wondering if the set had any unique pieces. Because it would be great if we could see ones in different colours.

And of course there was Mini Estate (that 's Wagon) from the 1960s. And the original Clubman from the 1970s.

Being a pedant though... :) The Mini mkI from the early 1960s had exposed door hinges. These went in the mkII model onwards - which was from memory the mid 60s.

This model is an "R" reg. (to those outside of the UK, meaning the registration plate started with an R. You can determine the year of registration from this letter), meaning it is a 1997/1998 model.

Pass, what is 26cm long? :P

I meant 10 feet and one quater of an inch.... The original Mini!

And where did you find the 1/4 button on your keyboard?

I just press the

This set is amazing, and looks even better when shown next to the T1 since at first it seemed smaller in scale. 

As for Metric vs. Standard, didn't the US try to change in the late 70s-early 80s, and there was a huge revolt against it?  I would have been just a little kid, but I seem to remember something about that.  In all reality, Metric is so much easier than Standard, but we aren't used to it over here, so it will never change.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm building one the day it's out as I've never been as eager to get my grubby mitts on a model before this.  If others think the same, resale values will only go one way.