Lego thieves targeting independent toy stores in VIC and NSW, Australia

kishidan69

Not a deal, but just a shout-out to fellow Brickpickers in Australia, especially VIC and NSW, to be on the lookout for these Lego thieves. Seems like a well organized and smart bunch that are only targeting Lego, and are hitting the independent toy shops like Toy World. For the Lego experts (whom most of you are) - probably shouldn't be too difficult to spot the 'signs'....hopefully they get shut down soon - Lego theft on a large scale with obvious intent to sell, and hitting the smaller businesses does not sit well with me at all.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/stacks-stolen-as-lego-heists-top-30k-and-span-two-states-20140603-39fd4.html

These theives are morons .. If they highly organized and professionals .. wouldnt they be stealing things like diamonds and jewelry? Seems small time to rob lego sets lol

Maybe its just be .. but I wouldnt risk jail time for a few thousand dollars worth of legos .. haha

i would think its easier to fence a couple thousand bucks worth of lego sets, which are non individually identifiable, than diamonds.

Than they shouldnt have said they where highly organized and professionals .. that sounds pretty stupid lol

Did you even read the article? Independent stores have very little security, these guys use professional tools and leave no evidence, and they've been able to grab as much as $12,000 worth of untraceable merchandise from one store.

Did you even read the article? Independent stores have very little security, these guys use professional tools and leave no evidence, and they've been able to grab as much as $12,000 worth of untraceable merchandise from one store.

They also mention that they didnt go after stores like kmart .. Im pretty sure kmart would be easier to rob than independent toy retailers.

Also maybe the owner should get some insurance .. would solve his problems.

P.S .. Have you seen the prices those dirtbags in AUSTRIALIA try to charge for legos .. that should be a crime in itself.

• 7 months later...

Hi, just wanted to vent that I saw a lady knock off some mini-figures with her kids in Big W.  I wanted to report it but I could not locate her in the shop after this. Unfortunately this has left a bad taste in my mouth, especially since I have decided to invest on my own accord after finding out that a lego licence to sell could buy me aston Martin with no entitlement to exclusives. I am wondering whether I should store all my receipts in a safe place as this is the only way I can prove provenance when selling. What are your thoughts.

I too have seen open minifig packets (Simpsons) at Target, some just opened to see which one it is, and a few empty packs too.

Made me feel guilty, as I was feeling then up to get my last one (Nelson). I managed to get em all with no doubles. People tend to look at you strange when you are a grown man fondling Lego packets.

• Like 2

I was advised yesterday that once the package is concealed it is not the job of the shop keepers to acquire the goods back according to law, rather  it is a job for the police once they leave the store. I felt less guilty that I did not report it. However, I am afraid that due to Lego popularity it has become a currency of some sort especially on the dark net. I have noticed however that Big W has stamped the bottom of their stock to perhaps identify it if flogged. But I guess it is no good  when lego is removed from their packages. I hope those people stand on lego.

• 3 weeks later...

I should check the dates. Thanx. By the way has anyone else noticed that more stores are stamping across the barcodes. I know TRU have been doing it for a while, but of late in BIG W I have noticed even the small sets have stamps.

And those big ugly Big W stickers that ruin a near perfect box

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...