42009 - Mobile Crane MK II

Leicamarc

The only way they will deny you is possibly letting you get the 10% off for using your credit card on top of the 25%.  So you can at a minimum get it for $132 if you use the 25% off coupon and then 15% gift cards to make it 40% off.  The only problem is I don't think there is a code for the 25% off coupon so you physically need one?  I only have one sadly enough.  Think I might pick up some cranes as I'm getting tired of hoarding Benny's Spaceship.

• 1 month later...

Then it was in store at TRU we have no sales tax with the sale price of $199 - 20% coupon $160- $10 off $50 coupon x 2 $140-10% with CC = $126 I picked up three at this price.  If I would have used Bold Arrows Pro Tip only put $1 on the CC and use GC it would have been $107.

Now it is $220 - 25% coupon = 165 - 10% CC = 148.5 - 15% GC = 126 This is Thursday only deal and not sure if price is at $220 or $199 at your store

I keep reading stuff like this and my eyes glaze over because it makes no sense whatsoever to me. Is there a thread or something that explains this? I have a TRU CC, but I still have no idea what this means.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've just poked around on the LEGO Shop at Home site, and this set is completely missing.  If I search Google, the LEGO Shop at Home page can be found, but there's no price info, no OOS, nothing to claim this has ever been for sale.  I didn't see one at my local store today either.

I did just buy one from LEGO Shop at Home 3 weeks ago on a double points day, so it was available back then.

Did it go EOL and no-one noticed?

• 3 weeks later...

Fort those interested a casual observation. I was at the LEGO store in Shepherds Bush Westfield, London. I didn't see any MKII cranes on display! I saw a few Volvo trucks, but I was surprised not to see this set on the shelves.

The lego store here only keeps one flagship technic out at a time. They had the unimog on the shelf its first year but not it's second when the crane took it's spot. Now the crane is gone and the volvo took it's place. Seems to be first year it's on the shelf then it's web only, at least for this store (Raleigh NC)

42009 is a total sleeper.  Fantastic set.  IMHO, maybe the best Technics yet.  Not over-sold, at least not yet.  In my dream scenario, Lego pulls this without much warning sometime later this year, prior to Q4 as some have predicted.  Maybe in Spring when the next Lego flagship is released (Mercedes Weird Truck/Container thingie).  I've already got a few in my portfolio.  8043 is $400+ now; 42009 should do at least as well.  

There is a lot of nostalgia for the 8421 and if you paid 400 euros for one you would say it is better to overcompensate.

42009 is bigger and has better functions and is a great set for MOCers but perhaps 8421 is cuter (if a crane can ever be cute).

In any case, 42009 should give very decent returns once it goes EOL and the crane series is similar to the modulars series in that there are completists who want to own every version made. 

There is a lot of nostalgia for the 8421 and if you paid 400 euros for one you would say it is better to overcompensate.

42009 is bigger and has better functions and is a great set for MOCers but perhaps 8421 is cuter (if a crane can ever be cute).

In any case, 42009 should give very decent returns once it goes EOL and the crane series is similar to the modulars series in that there are completists who want to own every version made. 

I think the success of 42009 with also go hand in hand with the new Volvo loader and the soon-to-be motorized crawler crane (if you believe the London Toy Fair reports). With the "modern" design similarities between the MKII and Volvo Loader, if the crawler crane is the same yellow (rather than the old red/white one) then I think that future buyers will be willing to pay big $$ for these sets.

The MKII is the biggest set I have personally built and it was all kinds of fun.

(soon to be eclipsed by the Sandcrawler though)

• Like 1

I don't own any of the cranes (yet), but I think I was forgetting the one in-between (8053 Mobile Crane -2010).   I think it was the 8053 vs. 8421 comparison where it was generally felt the newer one was inferior to what it replaced.

I regretted passing on the 8421 way back when.   Never saw the same appeal or desire to get 8053 when it came out.   But I do think the 42009 is nice and I might actually buy that one.