Shipping used sets

Good afternoon fellow Pickers.

I come to seek ye ol advice. I have a decent amount of used sets that I need to sell. My wife has already begun the "every time I come in the bonus room there are more legos" bit. Plus I need to make room for a baby in August.

So my question is... How do you ship used sets? Do you literally leave some assembled? If any one could attach pictures of how you do it, that would be phenomenal.

I may post on CL and FB groups, but I don't figure to get what I want out of them. But it would at least be local.

I will ultimately try to sell on eBay once I figure out how to ship so I don't lose money on shipping.

Thanks in advance everyone!

This is my stock answer to that question.

Rebuild the set and take 12 very good pictures from different angles.

Take the set apart and put in zip lock bags.

Look at sold listings on eBay and chose a good Buy It Now price based on past sales.

Once it sells put in a good box and ship. The smaller the box the better.

No need to sort by color unless you are that OCD.

• Like 2

I break down by build if obvious. Example - If there are 2 cars and a building, I try and use a different ziploc bag for each car, building, minifigures etc. 

The only time I sorted pieces was for the Unimog (module per bag/technic connectors in its own bags),because I'm a nice guy and sorting through technic sucks.

Otherwise, all the pieces go into one bag ready to be built.  I like to find a box before I list the item so I can determine how much shipping will be (plus, if it is heavy and fits in a Medium box then you can save on shipping.  Better to know in advance than it is to list the item and find you have to pay out of pocket for shipping expenses.

Thanks Migration. I think I saw you post that somewhere else actually. I did search the site before I posted. I do have a question regarding your reply -- exactly where do you see sold listings on ebay?

I'm actually assembling a small photobooth to take some good pictures from a blog I saw on this site. So I'm almost there. I am pretty OCD, and I will likely try to look up how the sets are actually bagged and bag accordingly.

Also, thanks redghostx. I will definitely get a package together and figure out shipping costs before I post on eBay.

Scroll down the left side of the screen once you searched an item. Under "show only" click "sold items".post-30202-0-51193700-1400980049_thumb.j

You can also just use the BrickPicker price guide and look at the prices for "used", but they are out of date by a month or so. Makes no real difference in most cases.

The one thing I always post in my description is that I believe the set is 100% complete but if I am missing a piece please let the seller know and I will attempt to replace it from my stock. If you had to substitute a piece tell the buyer. 

I had a Model team 4x4 with a lot of discoloration on the white pieces - I included all original pices and a bag of replacement pieces for what I could replace. 

Key is to be honest when selling used.

Make sure you tell them about instruction manuals, stickers, etc as well.  Take pictures of those as well so people can see condition.  Demands a premium of the original instructions are there and the stickers are there as well.   Original boxes are always a bonus as well when selling used.

Zip locks are your best friend.  

If everything is there and original packaging in place  sell for a premium.  If it doesn't sell - lower the price.  I have listed some sets that did not sell for two or three listings and then it did sell.  Just had to find the right buyer.

Also, combining sets into one lot doesn't do nearly as well as single sets.  The issue with that is postage on small single sets can be expensive so you have to balance the pros and cons.  People buying used sets are often looking to add just that one "particular" set to a group.  Buying a lot gives them duplicates they don't want so they don't buy lots often. 

Be realistic, the pricing information is out there and if you want to sell the set it has to be in-line with recent pricing or it won't sell. 

my two cents as I started sellling used sets within the last 18 months or so and this is what I found.

Also, make sure you keep what you want.  Don't sell it because you have it unless you just don't want it anymore.  There are some sets that are going for a nice dollar.  (Red Baron's tri-wing) tha I have that I am just not going to sell even if someone would buy it.  You collected it for a reason.

Good Luck

Legoray

My only 2 small suggestions on top of the already good advise. I'll pull a vacuum on the zip-lock bag ( with mouth or straw ) makes for a smaller package and the pieces tend to move around less. There is an article on this site that I read, on how to build a photo, light box. If the set is small enough. It was very easy and cheap to make. It really made the sets pop off the page.

The one thing I always post in my description is that I believe the set is 100% complete but if I am missing a piece please let the seller know and I will attempt to replace it from my stock. If you had to substitute a piece tell the buyer. 

I had a Model team 4x4 with a lot of discoloration on the white pieces - I included all original pices and a bag of replacement pieces for what I could replace. 

Key is to be honest when selling used.

Make sure you tell them about instruction manuals, stickers, etc as well.  Take pictures of those as well so people can see condition.  Demands a premium of the original instructions are there and the stickers are there as well.   Original boxes are always a bonus as well when selling used.

Zip locks are your best friend.  

If everything is there and original packaging in place  sell for a premium.  If it doesn't sell - lower the price.  I have listed some sets that did not sell for two or three listings and then it did sell.  Just had to find the right buyer.

Also, combining sets into one lot doesn't do nearly as well as single sets.  The issue with that is postage on small single sets can be expensive so you have to balance the pros and cons.  People buying used sets are often looking to add just that one "particular" set to a group.  Buying a lot gives them duplicates they don't want so they don't buy lots often. 

Be realistic, the pricing information is out there and if you want to sell the set it has to be in-line with recent pricing or it won't sell. 

my two cents as I started sellling used sets within the last 18 months or so and this is what I found.

Also, make sure you keep what you want.  Don't sell it because you have it unless you just don't want it anymore.  There are some sets that are going for a nice dollar.  (Red Baron's tri-wing) tha I have that I am just not going to sell even if someone would buy it.  You collected it for a reason.

Good Luck

Legoray

Holy crap. Thanks for the thorough response legoray. Phenomenal. Yeah, I'm always transparent in my deals. I've been burned a few times when people aren't so it's my policy. The latter part is keeping what I want. They aren't worth a lot, but i have the 8038, Battle of Endor that has 12 minifigs that I enhoy as being iconic for EP VI, and 6210, Jabba's Sail Barge that is also pretty iconic. I'd love to have a AT-AT, but I'm not sure i can convince the wifey on that one. I'm slowly working on about 40 sets that I've picked up in various lots, but I plan to sell every one of them.  Thanks again legoray.

My only 2 small suggestions on top of the already good advise. I'll pull a vacuum on the zip-lock bag ( with mouth or straw ) makes for a smaller package and the pieces tend to move around less. There is an article on this site that I read, on how to build a photo, light box. If the set is small enough. It was very easy and cheap to make. It really made the sets pop off the page.

Thanks Jimking! I'd never thought of that. We actually have some space savers for clothes and whatnot. That's a great idea to suck the air out of these to keep places in tact. I did see the article on the photo light box. I've scavenged several 24pk coke box bottoms for the structure already -- just need to pick up some poster/foam board to complete the setup.

If it's built ask to the buyer if he prefers built (parts) or unbuilt set.

If it's already unbuilt, don't do anything.

Thanks biniou, good call.

I always stipulate that the set will be broken down for shipping. There will always be that one person to give you negative feedback if you dont because "item not as described" like other said post everything about the set and be honest. Used sets can make some money but one person conplaining because of a slight discrepency and it makes all the hard work (building, organizing, and re-bagging) turn to.nothing

I buy a lot of used sets.  I only buy from listings in which the set is built and there are real photos of the built model.  I also like to see the pieces in a clean zip lock bag, not some used piece of crap.  I also appreciate when the seller puts the instructions in some sort of zip lock bag or folder.  It shows that the seller most likely cared for the set and it is probably complete. 

I buy a lot of used sets.  I only buy from listings in which the set is built and there are real photos of the built model.  I also like to see the pieces in a clean zip lock bag, not some used piece of crap.  I also appreciate when the seller puts the instructions in some sort of zip lock bag or folder.  It shows that the seller most likely cared for the set and it is probably complete.

Thanks Ed! I only have instructions for a few unless I go buy them. Pretty much all of these came from CL bulk lots and some Goodwill bulk lots. Thus i can't say for sure if they came from a smoke free or pet free home. Do I need to be completely honest about where they came from? If the bricks are in bad shape I toss them. Any sets from my personal collection are still sealed in boxes.

I have another question, not exactly related to this topic, but I didn't want to start a new one...

What's the value of a new set, open box, all sealed bags? Should you still be able to get retail for an open box? Or, is the seal have to be there? I only ask because I've been talking with a guy on CL close to me. He has a few sets I'm interested in (UG and PSA). However, he opened both to verify content. I'm getting these strictly for investment/collector's items. I really wanted sealed boxes. I'm curious how much a seal really matters. 

I have another question, not exactly related to this topic, but I didn't want to start a new one...

What's the value of a new set, open box, all sealed bags? Should you still be able to get retail for an open box? Or, is the seal have to be there? I only ask because I've been talking with a guy on CL close to me. He has a few sets I'm interested in (UG and PSA). However, he opened both to verify content. I'm getting these strictly for investment/collector's items. I really wanted sealed boxes. I'm curious how much a seal really matters. 

I suppose it depends on the set (is it retired?) and what the buyer intends to do with it. If they just want to build it, it won't be an issue for them. In most cases it won't effect the price too much.

As a buyer/investor, I wouldn't expect to pay the same for a sealed set as for a new, open set. Obviously I wouldn't pay retail for an open set, if I can get a new sealed set for the same money.

regarding shipping used sets...

i used ziplock bags but had the occasional bag get sliced during shipping.  i now put the set (elements) into those flat plastic-like envelopes used for usps, fedex, and ups shipping.  these seldom ever tear and stay sealed.  then i pack these inside the shipping box regardless whether i'm including the lego box.

i encourage to give it a try.

samples...

EP-16-B-01-main-278x212.jpg

264_lg.jpg

i always place instructions inside a folder or flat cardboard envelope and seal it. this keeps manuals protected.

I suppose it depends on the set (is it retired?) and what the buyer intends to do with it. If they just want to build it, it won't be an issue for them. In most cases it won't effect the price too much.

As a buyer/investor, I wouldn't expect to pay the same for a sealed set as for a new, open set. Obviously I wouldn't pay retail for an open set, if I can get a new sealed set for the same money.

Good points. That was the stance I was going to take. he wants a few of mine that I don't have boxes at all for. This just brings up another topic about which sets are better investments. I'll deal with it. Thanks though.

regarding shipping used sets...

i used ziplock bags but had the occasional bag get sliced during shipping.  i now put the set (elements) into those flat plastic-like envelopes used for usps, fedex, and ups shipping.  these seldom ever tear and stay sealed.  then i pack these inside the shipping box regardless whether i'm including the lego box.

i encourage to give it a try.

samples...

EP-16-B-01-main-278x212.jpg

264_lg.jpg

i always place instructions inside a folder or flat cardboard envelope and seal it. this keeps manuals protected.

Thanks! Will consider this once I get there. I'm still building my photo box and cleaning some sets that have a bit of dust on them.

there are a couple mentions in this thread of an article about building a photo booth.  can anyone direct me to that article?  i'd love to read it...

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://blog.brickpicker.com/creating-small-light-box-photograph-lego-items/