Coupons/Coupon Codes at TRU

Gee

I have gathered that TRU coupons are sent, seemingly randomly, by mail to members, but I'm wondering what I can do with the codes posted in the Daily Deals thread.

I'm assuming I can't just walk into my TRU with the codes written on them and use them. 

Or can I?

Ideally you just read them the codes to punch in, but depending on how lenient the store/employee is, they might not allow it. If they don't, you can also try showing them photos of the coupons, some have been posted in the daily deals threads.

• Like 1

YMMV - Technically no, on the coupons (and all coupons should work this way) it says you need to surrender the coupon. However many members have had success using scans or just giving the coupon codes. Remember each coupon can only be used once per Rewards R Us account - that is something flagged in the system.

Not that anyone listens to my pleas for restraint, but I urge members to use a little discretion with this stuff. Remember the golden eggs. We've had posts about the dangers of dropshipping, someone needs to write one up about the dangers of coupon abuse.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is probably something that has been answered before, and I believe I see the answer on the price matching site, but can you use a coupon after Toys R Us has price matched something?  So use 20% off coupon after they have price matched Amazon or something.  I feel that the answer is either no or YMMV. 

This is probably something that has been answered before, and I believe I see the answer on the price matching site, but can you use a coupon after Toys R Us has price matched something?  So use 20% off coupon after they have price matched Amazon or something.  I feel that the answer is either no or YMMV. 

Officially NO

• 1 month later...

It's been talked about in the Daily Deals thread quite a bit.  Here's one example:

Toys R Us Coupon or sale (20% off, etc) +10% off Thursdays for TRU CC holders + Discounted Gift Card = Triple Stack

How do you buy with a discounted gift card AND your TRU CC at the same time?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How do you get on the list to get coupons sent to you in the mail? I have both rewards and cc since June and have never got anything but a bill in the mail. Does it just take more time or do I need to specifically sign up?

I think you have to spend some money in a B&M store but try this since they are attached to the catalogues I get in the mail:

"Customers interested in receiving the latest Toys 'R' Us shopping catalog and guides can contact the company and request to be added to its mailing list. Each week, the popular toy company comes out with a new guide that showcases seasonal toys and activity products designed to enhance children's playtime."

A visit to my local TRU could either be a great, fun experience, or just quite the opposite. I have been treated their by the store manager as a friend who would give me Lego displays since I shop their quite often with my children when we may spent their hours in the store. Then a few weeks later I'd be back dealing with an assistant manager who seems to be on a power trip; won't let you use coupons that are not printed, won't let you stack coupons, won't sell you Bricktober sets by themselves for the MSRP of $19.99 each.

I don't know how some of these managers just don't understand that at the end of the day it's my hard earned money I'm spending there.

Anyhow, just wanted to get that off my chest...

I think you have to spend some money in a B&M store but try this since they are attached to the catalogues I get in the mail:

"Customers interested in receiving the latest Toys 'R' Us shopping catalog and guides can contact the company and request to be added to its mailing list. Each week, the popular toy company comes out with a new guide that showcases seasonal toys and activity products designed to enhance children's playtime."

Thanks that got me searching and I found this on TRU Corporate contact us page:

"Mailing List: Would you like to be added or deleted from our mailing list? Changing your information on our mailing list is easy. Simply call 1-800-869-7787 and press option 6. Our automated system will walk you through the process."

So I did that and of course 6 wasn't it, I mean come on, but it was actually 2 then 4. Supposedly I am on the mailing list now.

• Like 1

A visit to my local TRU could either be a great, fun experience, or just quite the opposite. I have been treated their by the store manager as a friend who would give me Lego displays since I shop their quite often with my children when we may spent their hours in the store. Then a few weeks later I'd be back dealing with an assistant manager who seems to be on a power trip; won't let you use coupons that are not printed, won't let you stack coupons, won't sell you Bricktober sets by themselves for the MSRP of $19.99 each.

I don't know how some of these managers just don't understand that at the end of the day it's my hard earned money I'm spending there.

Anyhow, just wanted to get that off my chest...

Yep, I was doing a simple price match tonight and they were doing some kind of BS trying to figure in shipping with the price match price. I was like, "I can pick-up in-store at Wal-Mart for zero shipping cost, but I'd like to give you guys the business."  They went on to say figuring in shipping was the policy, especially if you are price matching Amazon.com w/ Prime shipping. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything???

Yep, I was doing a simple price match tonight and they were doing some kind of BS trying to figure in shipping with the price match price. I was like, "I can pick-up in-store at Wal-Mart for zero shipping cost, but I'd like to give you guys the business."  They went on to say figuring in shipping was the policy, especially if you are price matching Amazon.com w/ Prime shipping. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything???

i've had the BS b4

The way they handle things is more inconsistent than I was willing to put up with regularly until this morning, and I think I learned why:

Walked in, said hi to the first shelf dude, and asked if they had any of the previous two Bricktober sets (nope all gone). Asked if this week's set could be had with the 25% CC coupon on the same purchase, and he said he could make it work, just ask for him when I check out (never saw him again, fwiw).

Grabbed a Rebels Co-pack after some brief amusement at four female stockers trying to wedge the new Hobbit sets in and discussing what to do with the last Silver Mines (oh, how they hate it...) and proceeded to the desk.

The poor unwitting cashier had no idea what was in for her:

1. Scan the co-pack

2. Mention 25% coupon

3. Scan rewards card

4. Scan coupon off phone

5. Look frustrated, glance at manager

6. Type in coupon code from phone

7. The usual discussion about Lego exclusion vs. no Lego exclusion on this completely confusing (for most who have to process it) coupon.

8. Call a manager

9. Explain situation

10. Manager override #1

11. Scan co-pack again

12. Scan rewards card again

13. Scan coupon again

14. Oops, something wrong - manager override #2

15. Try to scan my recently obtained temporary TRU CC

16. Explain to me that was a one-time use version that was printed out

17. Remain pleasant and half smile while I fumble through my wallet and realize I was packing around the wrong piece of paper this week.

18. Helpfully attempt to print me out another one-time use version of my TRU CC

19. System rejects my SSN from keypad

20. Try again, no success

21. Suggest that my card is so new it's not in the system yet while failing to listen to me that I used the card twice already since I applied for it, and that I only have one SSN.

22. Explain there are no other options in the system to validate my TRU CC account.

23. Kindly offer the 20% off instead and suggest I call to have card straightened out. I accept.

24. Manager override #3 (one eyebrow raises up at me this time)

25. Scan phone coupon one more time.

26. Manager override #4.

27. Present me with a total, and learn I want a free bricktober set as well.

28. Fetch bricktober fire station and try to ring it up.

29. Scan EVERYTHING again. Manager override #5 and #6.

30. Very pleasantly oblige when I ask if I may swap the bricktober fire station for one which doesn't have a crunched box.

31. Bid me good day, professionally, without a smile.

Then, for giggles, I decided in the parking lot to experiment a little, because there was no way I was going to throw the pumpkin coupon at that poor woman also. But I went back in to customer service since they weren't busy at all...

32. Explained I just made a purchase, forgot a coupon and would like to add pumpkin if possible.

33. Explained I wasn't after another bricktober set, just a pumpkin

34. Receipt scanned

35. Driver's License presented (I REALLY don't get this part)

36. Discussion about "the new return system requirements" begins (no details will be relayed here, as it was vague and confusing to begin with)

37. Pumpkin phone coupon presented and scanned.

38. Manager called, override #7

39. Explanation about how item must be "returned" in the system to add coupon, and resold to me

40. Manager override #8

41. More discussion about new return system requirements

42. Check to see if they even have more pumpkins

43. Come back saying they are sold out

44. I explain I saw one and offer to go get it

45. Pumpkin polybag scanned

46. Manager override #9

47. Driver's license again

48. More discussion about return system

49. Explain to me that it is adding $1.09 back on my card I used for earlier purchase, and tell me to "just roll with it"

50. I roll with it and leave.

So with all that nonsense going on, it now makes perfect sense to me while one person in one store just scans the purchase, the membership, the card, punches a few buttons, tosses me a bricktober and a pumpkin without scanning them, and says "see ya next time" while another manager in another store attempts to make me choose between the 25% discount OR the bricktober set OR the pumpkin (after making me get the total to $75 post-discount) and watches me leave with some random Lego's left at the register.

What a business...

• 3 weeks later...

I still get confused with Toys R Us clearance/sale terminology.  When things are on sale buy 1, get 1 40% off, is that always a hot price or red hot deal?  Is that what TRU calls their sale prices?  Also, the coupons don't say anything about excluding clearance as far as I can tell.  I have a couple coupons I want to burn that don't work on Lego.

The way they handle things is more inconsistent than I was willing to put up with regularly until this morning, and I think I learned why:

Walked in, said hi to the first shelf dude, and asked if they had any of the previous two Bricktober sets (nope all gone). Asked if this week's set could be had with the 25% CC coupon on the same purchase, and he said he could make it work, just ask for him when I check out (never saw him again, fwiw).

Grabbed a Rebels Co-pack after some brief amusement at four female stockers trying to wedge the new Hobbit sets in and discussing what to do with the last Silver Mines (oh, how they hate it...) and proceeded to the desk.

The poor unwitting cashier had no idea what was in for her:

1. Scan the co-pack

2. Mention 25% coupon

3. Scan rewards card

4. Scan coupon off phone

5. Look frustrated, glance at manager

6. Type in coupon code from phone

7. The usual discussion about Lego exclusion vs. no Lego exclusion on this completely confusing (for most who have to process it) coupon.

8. Call a manager

9. Explain situation

10. Manager override #1

11. Scan co-pack again

12. Scan rewards card again

13. Scan coupon again

14. Oops, something wrong - manager override #2

15. Try to scan my recently obtained temporary TRU CC

16. Explain to me that was a one-time use version that was printed out

17. Remain pleasant and half smile while I fumble through my wallet and realize I was packing around the wrong piece of paper this week.

18. Helpfully attempt to print me out another one-time use version of my TRU CC

19. System rejects my SSN from keypad

20. Try again, no success

21. Suggest that my card is so new it's not in the system yet while failing to listen to me that I used the card twice already since I applied for it, and that I only have one SSN.

22. Explain there are no other options in the system to validate my TRU CC account.

23. Kindly offer the 20% off instead and suggest I call to have card straightened out. I accept.

24. Manager override #3 (one eyebrow raises up at me this time)

25. Scan phone coupon one more time.

26. Manager override #4.

27. Present me with a total, and learn I want a free bricktober set as well.

28. Fetch bricktober fire station and try to ring it up.

29. Scan EVERYTHING again. Manager override #5 and #6.

30. Very pleasantly oblige when I ask if I may swap the bricktober fire station for one which doesn't have a crunched box.

31. Bid me good day, professionally, without a smile.

Then, for giggles, I decided in the parking lot to experiment a little, because there was no way I was going to throw the pumpkin coupon at that poor woman also. But I went back in to customer service since they weren't busy at all...

32. Explained I just made a purchase, forgot a coupon and would like to add pumpkin if possible.

33. Explained I wasn't after another bricktober set, just a pumpkin

34. Receipt scanned

35. Driver's License presented (I REALLY don't get this part)

36. Discussion about "the new return system requirements" begins (no details will be relayed here, as it was vague and confusing to begin with)

37. Pumpkin phone coupon presented and scanned.

38. Manager called, override #7

39. Explanation about how item must be "returned" in the system to add coupon, and resold to me

40. Manager override #8

41. More discussion about new return system requirements

42. Check to see if they even have more pumpkins

43. Come back saying they are sold out

44. I explain I saw one and offer to go get it

45. Pumpkin polybag scanned

46. Manager override #9

47. Driver's license again

48. More discussion about return system

49. Explain to me that it is adding $1.09 back on my card I used for earlier purchase, and tell me to "just roll with it"

50. I roll with it and leave.

So with all that nonsense going on, it now makes perfect sense to me while one person in one store just scans the purchase, the membership, the card, punches a few buttons, tosses me a bricktober and a pumpkin without scanning them, and says "see ya next time" while another manager in another store attempts to make me choose between the 25% discount OR the bricktober set OR the pumpkin (after making me get the total to $75 post-discount) and watches me leave with some random Lego's left at the register.

What a business...

been there...