Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

All airbags go in the trash. I can sometimes get this roll for $30.

Pratt Multipurpose Kraft Paper Sheet for Packaging Wrap, KPR30241200R, 1200' Length x 24" Width, Kraft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AI652CM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FWAFYHH2HQMST9VPMGKS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I developed a new hobby of rolling up old Kraft paper while watching TV. Saved a lot of space. All airbags go except one box just in case I need them.

20211107_214639.jpg

• Like 3

why air bag has no love? I always use airbag
Airbags have no give. If there is a force on the side of the box the airbag will almost completely transfer the force to the set.

Crumpled kraft paper has the ability to "squish" and absorbs more of the impact. Even Lego has stopped shipping with airbags and switched to kraft paper.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brystheguy said:

My airbags are taking up a lot of space in my store room and my wife perceives this as me having more LEGO than I actually do. What packing paper does everyone use! Plain old Kraft paper? Something else? Might be nice to have a filler option that’s smaller than all the airbags I have.

I go to my local newspaper and ask for their end rolls.  These are the remnants of their huge paper rolls and they usually sell them for $1 each.  Don't let the size below fool you.  Basically, a small roll is equivalent to a couple hundred newspapers (minus the print.)

$3-4 worth lasts a real long time.

aaa.jpg.9e84f2eeaca1511747d1f8d726e74b78.jpgaaa1.png.e973aa1b76b5d588bd18801ee94ba08b.png

aaa.jpg

Edited by raindog
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

Airbags have no give. If there is a force on the side of the box the airbag will almost completely transfer the force to the set.

Crumpled kraft paper has the ability to "squish" and absorbs more of the impact. Even Lego has stopped shipping with airbags and switched to kraft paper.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

i used air pillow bags for a decade without issues .  as long as you right size your box and pay attention to details both work equally well for me.   when you are packing the same thing 20x it is  quicker to measure out the same number of cells for each box then crumpling up the paper just the right way x20 but in the last year i switched to kraft paper and have had zero issues with damage .  the paper takes up much less space , more price efficient, biodegradable.

• Like 2

I try to reuse all the packing materials and boxes I get but have always gotten rid of so much due to excess amount. I use paper as long as it does not tip the weight of the package to higher shipping cost otherwise air bag is used. I've also gotten pretty good at re-sizing boxes to minimize cost. No complaints so far.

I may try to roll up the paper to save space. I was just folding them. Thanks for the idea.

45 minutes ago, Gonkalin said:

I actually have an air bag maker. It's great but, as have been said, you don't want to over pack it. I've never had any issues with damage because of air pillows that I've been made aware of.

What machine do you have? Was contemplating getting one years back but found that it was expensive (in UK was around £3-400 when I checked years ago).

Yes, that is what I paid. But I do enough volume to justify the expense. And I also figured that I can sell it used and get half my money back (or more). I paid around $400. I have the  Mini Air Easi Air Pillow Maker

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY70RYG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's currently showing as not available.

4 hours ago, cladner said:

i used air pillow bags for a decade without issues .  as long as you right size your box and pay attention to details both work equally well for me.   when you are packing the same thing 20x it is  quicker to measure out the same number of cells for each box then crumpling up the paper just the right way x20 but in the last year i switched to kraft paper and have had zero issues with damage .  the paper takes up much less space , more price efficient, biodegradable.

Second that.
LEGO stopped using air pillows b/c they were over inflated and placed on top of the items which would bulge the box and crush the contents. (Lots of complaints and returns.)

I reuse air pillows b/c I have them. They come in handy along the sides of sets but I also combine that with paper.

Lots of opinions about packing methods on here.

Avoid airspace on top of sets, but utilize it on the sides.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know where to get some 24x20x6 boxes (or slightly bigger) without having to buy 20+ at a time?  I only need 3-4, and probably will never need any more after that.  I checked the local Staples since I know they sell singles, but the closest was something like 24x16x6.  And I have a ton of LEGO-branded shipping boxes that are close, but just a half inch or so too short.

Edited by I am Niko

20 minutes ago, I am Niko said:

Anyone know where to get some 24x20x6 boxes (or slightly bigger) without having to buy 20+ at a time?  I only need 3-4, and probably will never need any more after that.  I checked the local Staples since I know they sell singles, but the closest was something like 24x16x6.  And I have a ton of LEGO-branded shipping boxes that are close, but just a half inch or so too short.

I would use the extra large box from Homedepot (24x20x21) 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-24-in-L-x-20-in-W-x-21-in-D-Extra-Large-Moving-Box-with-Handles-XLBX/316235468

You can then resize it to 24x20x6 by either cutting the extra height off the box or keep them to make a better cushion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joesnow2005 said:

I would use the extra large box from Homedepot (24x20x21) 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-24-in-L-x-20-in-W-x-21-in-D-Extra-Large-Moving-Box-with-Handles-XLBX/316235468

You can then resize it to 24x20x6 by either cutting the extra height off the box or keep them to make a better cushion. 

Completely forgot about the hardware stores.  Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, jgschmieg3 said:

Where is everyone ordering shipping boxes these days?  Need some for bonsai 16x12x4 and Assembly Square. I usually wait until Staples has a sale/coupon to buy 50 or so boxes. Is that still a good strategy? 

Walmart, Staples, Home Depot, Uhaul . . .  Uline for popular sizes.  Find the size you want and then find a similar size at a better price point.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...