Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

8 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

I get free "pocket" stickers from FedEx to house my paper I print out. It ends up being easier than taping the labels to boxes. 

I can't tell from the image on their website -- do these envelopes show "FedEx" on them after inserting your own label? I usually ship by USPS or UPS... but free is free...

I just use the free blank sticker sheets from UPS. They're 8.5x11, 2 labels per sheet. They say "For UPS use only" on the edges but that's easily marked over or cut off.
I also always put tape over the tracking code/bars. Keeps them safe from water/rain/liquid smearing vital information. I've never had a problem.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, g3man said:

I can't tell from the image on their website -- do these envelopes show "FedEx" on them after inserting your own label? I usually ship by USPS or UPS... but free is free...

They say FedEx on the inside, but I usually fold the paper in half before inserting, so it's mostly covered. It's FedEx colors, so there's not much doubt who the company is.

But, I've never had anyone say anything about it, and not sure why they would.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

i have the darnedest time navigating their online store. i can walk right in to the store and get medium and large boxes, but I cannot seem to find them online. any insight?

Search "shipping box" and then at the right side of the window, you will see a list of options, including heigh, width and length. It's very user-friendly to me. In comparison, Amazon makes it hard to find the boxes with the right dimensions.

And I would say the price at staples is very competitive compared with those I have used, including Amazon, Homedepot and our local box stores. The shipping is super fast as well. I can get it within 2 days most of times.  

36 minutes ago, joesnow2005 said:

Search "shipping box" and then at the right side of the window, you will see a list of options, including heigh, width and length. It's very user-friendly to me. In comparison, Amazon makes it hard to find the boxes with the right dimensions.

And I would say the price at staples is very competitive compared with those I have used, including Amazon, Homedepot and our local box stores. The shipping is super fast as well. I can get it within 2 days most of times.  

thanks! what are some of the more common sized boxes? for example, I find the "large" size good for modulars and such. i can cut them down if needed.

also, last time i was in-store the clerk told me there was a threshold, maybe it was 10 boxes or something, and then after that the price came way down. does this reflect online as well?

1 minute ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

thanks! what are some of the more common sized boxes? for example, I find the "large" size good for modulars and such. i can cut them down if needed.

also, last time i was in-store the clerk told me there was a threshold, maybe it was 10 boxes or something, and then after that the price came way down. does this reflect online as well?

We have a thread for that:

My stash of boxes includes:

26 x 26 x 8 for the really big sets like Helicarrier and those thicker than 6 inches deep. 

Most of my big boxes for sets like the modulars are 26 x 20 x 6

For med size sets I have 22 x 16 x 4 and 20 x 16 x 4

Smaller sets 16 x 12 x 4 and 11 x 8 x 4 (great for many architecture sets)

And 6 x 6 x 3 and 6 x 6 x 6 for smaller ones like brickheads

Those are the boxes I keep in stock. Main ones are 26 x 20 x 6, 20 x 16 x 4, 16 x 12 x 4 and 11 x 8 x 4

On 4/27/2020 at 2:56 PM, iahawks550 said:

I get free "pocket" stickers from FedEx to house my paper I print out. It ends up being easier than taping the labels to boxes. 

If you dont mind, what product is this specifically?  I've looked through the FedEx shipping materials and cant seem to locate it.

So I went to printout a shipping label via paypal a couple of minutes ago.  Apparently you have to have your bank account linked to your paypal account in order to ship?  How new is this? My paypal account is funded through my credit card.  I don't want paypal being linked to my bank. 

for anyone who tends to frequent staples, do you have a handful of boxes you use the most? looking for a few sizes to have on had. like their in-store "Large" box works well for many larger sets. and has the cut down lines to reduce the height if necessary. but wondering if they also have a medium or small that might work well for other sets? anything else?

6 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

for anyone who tends to frequent staples, do you have a handful of boxes you use the most? looking for a few sizes to have on had. like their in-store "Large" box works well for many larger sets. and has the cut down lines to reduce the height if necessary. but wondering if they also have a medium or small that might work well for other sets? anything else?

My go-to box has been their medium rectangle box 16x12x10. But I typically purchase sets for my inventory that can fit into that size. Occasionally, I buy larger sets if I feel they are worth it and I'll go for their "large" boxes but the medium rectangle fit my needs best.

20 minutes ago, MrToes16 said:

My go-to box has been their medium rectangle box 16x12x10. But I typically purchase sets for my inventory that can fit into that size. Occasionally, I buy larger sets if I feel they are worth it and I'll go for their "large" boxes but the medium rectangle fit my needs best.

so what sorts of sets fit in this box?

1 hour ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

so what sorts of sets fit in this box?

I’ve fit medium sized sets like 21313 Ship in a Bottle or 21030 US Capital Building perfectly with just enough room to spare for bubble wrap and without leaving the box too big which adds cost to ship. I’ve also done bundles of Xmas promo gifts that can a few at once comfortably.

7 minutes ago, MrToes16 said:

I’ve fit medium sized sets like 21313 Ship in a Bottle or 21030 US Capital Building perfectly with just enough room to spare for bubble wrap and without leaving the box too big which adds cost to ship. I’ve also done bundles of Xmas promo gifts that can a few at once comfortably.

appreciate it. 

On 5/2/2020 at 7:46 AM, zaphoid said:

So whats everyone using for tape?  I've been using Scotch Heavy Duty 2", but it doesn't always stick as well as I'd like.

Same here.  I stock up when Costco has $7 off coupon.  I use these on small boxes and big boxes to ship my FBA inventory.  No complaints so far. 

Although right now I am trying the generic Staples brand. (I added one to hit $60 for the coupon). They are not as good or as sticky.  Definitely NOT recommended to use on modular sized boxes or bigger